Define Craft...

Old December 11th 03, 07:37 PM

Default Define Craft...

Hi, Just a quick question:
"What is the definition of a Craft?"
I'm interested to know as some of the things I see around today do not
appear to be crafts, but more like hobbies. I was under the impression that
a craft was something that could only be achieved or undertaken by a
professional, as in craftsman? (or woman)

I understand that there are many people who undertake crafts in their spare
time, I'm just a bit peeved with people who throw stickers on cards, a bit
of glitter and then charge the earth for a handmade, crafted card?

Look forward to your comments on this.
Richard

Old December 11th 03, 08:50 PM
Jackdaw

"R" wrote in message
Hi, Just a quick question:
"What is the definition of a Craft?"
I'm interested to know as some of the things I see around today do not
appear to be crafts, but more like hobbies. I was under the impression

that
a craft was something that could only be achieved or undertaken by a
professional, as in craftsman? (or woman)

I understand that there are many people who undertake crafts in their

spare
time, I'm just a bit peeved with people who throw stickers on cards, a bit
of glitter and then charge the earth for a handmade, crafted card?

Look forward to your comments on this.
Richard

You too eh?
We do "Craft" fairs in the UK.
The word Craft is devalued I guess. Some think Boot fairs, some Tat market.
8¬(
I think that the show advertising needs to point out that IF there is any
craft in the show, that details of the care and attention to detail need
pushing. We have found out the hard way, that if you leave the word "Craft"
out of the advertising, few folks will turn up for a show. Word of mouth and
a jurying in will help, but the confidence of the buyers needs to be met,
and the reputation of the vendors known.
We have found that a good site + repeat shows on the same site +
advertising+ advertising + jurying in + LUCK tilts the balance toward
success. IMHO
Sorry if I am wibbling, it's been a long hard day, but I think you know what
I mean.

--
Jackdaw ( UK )
collector of facts, trivia and bright twinkly things!

Old December 11th 03, 10:50 PM
a l l y

R wrote in message
Hi, Just a quick question:
"What is the definition of a Craft?"
I'm interested to know as some of the things I see around today do not
appear to be crafts, but more like hobbies. I was under the impression

that
a craft was something that could only be achieved or undertaken by a
professional, as in craftsman? (or woman)

I understand that there are many people who undertake crafts in their

spare
time, I'm just a bit peeved with people who throw stickers on cards, a bit
of glitter and then charge the earth for a handmade, crafted card?

Look forward to your comments on this.

Yup. Me too. I trained at my craft (seat weaving of various types) with a
professional, and she wouldn't let me loose on her customers until I could
make a rush or cane seat to her satisfaction. I consider myself a
craftswoman because I earn my living practising a craft.

I don't think this means that you have to earn money from it in order for it
to be classed as a 'craft', but there do have to be certain standards, I
think. Hobbies can turn into crafts with experience, and the person who buys
a caning kit from me today might, in a few years' time and with many
successfully caned chairs behind her, become a craftswoman.

I do get a bit irked when visiting craft fairs when I find stalls full of
bought-in items with a bit of decoration on them. That's not what I expect
to see when I enter a tent full of 'craftspeople'.

ally
www.situponseats.co.uk

Old December 12th 03, 09:31 AM

Hi Kaytee
One of the reasons I am "peeved" is this: I do pyrography commissions
(amongst many other things) of dogs. These are burnt by hand from customers
photographs. Each commission has at least 10,000 individual lines. Each
commission takes around 3 weeks to complete, including waxing.
People see these items and are amazed at the quality of image. However, I
cant charge for my time to create these images as they would be too
expensive.
A lot of people relate what I do with similar "crafted" items they have seen
previously, ie a wooden spoon with a name shakily branded on for £5, and
nothing I say about how long it took to create the image or what else was
involved will get rid of that comparison.

It's a bit like taking your car to be fixed by a pro who charges £30 per
hour - you expect a certain level of value, service and workmanship for our
money. Anyone can charge £30 per hour to fix a car, but only a pro can do it
well and that is what you are paying for.

I just feel that maybe it's time to start distinguishing between craft and
tat... Maybe it would help us all get paid somewhere nearer what we are
worth - if we don't value the quality of our work, who else will?

Hope this makes sense... too many long days! Happy Christmas everyone
Richard

"Kaytee" wrote in message
In article , "R"
writes:

I'm just a bit peeved with people who throw stickers on cards, a bit
of glitter and then charge the earth for a handmade, crafted card?

If that is all it is, and you want it, why not do it yourself? If you

don't
want it, why are you "peeved"? If they're hobby crafters, they may be

paying
retail for their materials, they still deserve compensation for their

time, and
they need to recover their booth fees, and possibly their travel costs

to/from
the crafts show. If the cards are selling in a shop-- figure that at least

40%
of the cost is commission (standard here for consignment; resale is 100%
mark-up from wholesale).

Actually, I'm rather "peeved" prices of commercial cards.... Almost $3

for
a rather insipid one is common. If I have time, I go looking for the
"handcrafted" ones, and pay a little more (like about $3.50-$4). If I have

lots
of time, out come the rubber stamps, markers, glitter, etc.... Usually,

though,
I pay for somebody else's time, and I'd rather pay a "starving artist"

than
Hallmark.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old December 12th 03, 11:01 AM
Eliza Wright

Hi Richard,
You remind me of when I used to do craft fairs, doll fairs etc. I used
to make reproductions of 19thC porcelain dolls. One day I was approached
by a woman who demanded that I reduce the price of one of my dolls
because another stall had exactly the same doll at a lower price (made
by a hobby person of course). After a bit of arguing I asked why she
didn't go and buy the other one then. She eventually admitted that mine
was better made, better painted etc. But she didn't want to pay for it!
(No I didn't reduce the price!). But that's what we are often up against
I'm afraid.

Eliza.

Old December 12th 03, 01:47 PM
Lippy Zaner

In article , ] says...

But that's what we are often up against
I'm afraid.

I presume you live in a free enterprise
culture where competition is encouraged?
If so, then what system would you prefer instead?

Art and Craft fairs are often a microcosm
of world trade practices, IMO. Those who
are working for the least wage can sell
their widgets cheaper.

Old December 12th 03, 05:21 PM

Hi Lippy
I'm not against free enterprise. I have been a member of more than a few
formal co-operatives in my time which are the epitome of free trade ethics.
What I am against is the apparent increasing level of misrepresentation, as
in unskilled and untrained "crafters" selling off the backs of highly
skilled and trained people and businesses.
I still cannot help but feel that there should be more of a formal
distinction about what can be called "crafted".
Have a good weekend

In article , ] says...

Old December 12th 03, 06:20 PM
Eliza Wright

Lippy Zaner wrote
In article , ] says...

But that's what we are often up against
I'm afraid.

I presume you live in a free enterprise
culture where competition is encouraged?
If so, then what system would you prefer instead?

Art and Craft fairs are often a microcosm
of world trade practices, IMO. Those who
are working for the least wage can sell
their widgets cheaper.

That is true, but in this case I was moaning about the fact that this
person, although she could see that I had a better product, was trying
to beat down my price to that of an inferior product. If the dolls had
been the same, (or even if she hadn't been able to notice the
difference) she would have gone and bought the cheaper one wouldn't she?
There would have been no argument. I guess it is her attitude I'm
complaining about. (But you will always get someone trying it on).

Eliza.
--

New!! Lindisfarne Collection - 2 designs, start of new series.

New Craft How To Books and Videos Forsale Walmart Marketplace 0 December 19th 04 08:05 PM
AD - Craft Students League, NYC Craft Students League, NYC Jewelry 0 March 24th 04 04:06 AM
Define Craft... R Marketplace 30 January 13th 04 06:13 PM
FS Aleenes Craft Club Magazine DMVTREK Beads 0 July 17th 03 07:06 PM
FS Aleenes Craft Club Magazine DMVTREK Marketplace 0 July 17th 03 07:04 PM