Japanese Shortrows?

Old October 3rd 05, 01:20 PM
DA

Default Japanese Shortrows?

Has anyone tried this technique for short row shaping?
http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonakni...se_short_.html
DA

--
This property protected by Smith and Wesson four days a week - - you
guess which days.

Old October 3rd 05, 02:51 PM
JCT

I took a class by Lucy Neatby (mentioned in the piece) and she showed
us this technique. It is really quite simple.

By the way, she uses little safety pins that don't have springs to get
caught in the yarn - they are available at some LYS's - possibly other
places as well. I suppose small plastic paper clips might work too.

Old October 3rd 05, 03:16 PM
DA

"JCT" wrote in message
oups.com...
I took a class by Lucy Neatby (mentioned in the piece) and she showed
us this technique. It is really quite simple.

By the way, she uses little safety pins that don't have springs to get
caught in the yarn - they are available at some LYS's - possibly other
places as well. I suppose small plastic paper clips might work too.

I use the coil less pins for row markers, so that is not a problem. Did you
like the results? It seems pretty easy compared to some of the others I
have tried.
DA

Old October 3rd 05, 06:40 PM
JCT

I found it easy - looked good to me. Best way to decide is to try it,
I guess. I thought the website illustration was great.

Old October 4th 05, 02:09 AM
Susan Carey

DIfferent groups I have attended have started teaching this process. It
makes a big difference to have someone show it, though it only takes
about 20 minutes to learn well. They had a program for it at the recent
Florida Fiber In held in Orlando and it was fun to do, though I had
seen the same presentation by the same knitter/designer before...Linda
Walsh. Hope you all can find a way to work it into your knitting. Think
how nice those even darts will look on a bustline...or seemless
shoulders for a change.

Hugs,
Susan

Old October 4th 05, 04:22 AM
DA

"Susan Carey" wrote in message
ps.com...
DIfferent groups I have attended have started teaching this process. It
makes a big difference to have someone show it, though it only takes
about 20 minutes to learn well. They had a program for it at the recent
Florida Fiber In held in Orlando and it was fun to do, though I had
seen the same presentation by the same knitter/designer before...Linda
Walsh. Hope you all can find a way to work it into your knitting. Think
how nice those even darts will look on a bustline...or seemless
shoulders for a change.

Hugs,
Susan

Thanks Susan. I learn things easier by reading/doing than having some one
show me. I do have a question about seamless shoulders. It would seem to me
that you would need seams to support the weight of the knitting. Many years
ago I knit a sweater from cuff to cuff which grew when you wore it,
stretching the neck line.
DA

Old October 4th 05, 03:21 PM
Susan Carey

Really it is more ladderless seams than seamless. Sorry to have mis
written. You know how patterns call for binding off seven and knit to
the end of the row and then back and bind off the next seven and so on.
Well, with this the ladder part does not show which makes for a
smoother and less difficult to match seam. It would work if you were
doing an over the top sweater pattern where you start at the back and
come up over the shoulders, as that would make a difference in the
shaping, but I don't think too many patterns are made that way.

Susan

Old October 4th 05, 03:35 PM
DA

"Susan Carey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Really it is more ladderless seams than seamless. Sorry to have mis
written. You know how patterns call for binding off seven and knit to
the end of the row and then back and bind off the next seven and so on.
Well, with this the ladder part does not show which makes for a
smoother and less difficult to match seam. It would work if you were
doing an over the top sweater pattern where you start at the back and
come up over the shoulders, as that would make a difference in the
shaping, but I don't think too many patterns are made that way.

Susan

Ok, that works. Back on the 80s there were a lot of patterns for sweaters
knit from cuff to cuff.
DA

Old October 5th 05, 04:20 PM
JCT

I did this on my NYCO -- which I promise is almost complete. I used
the short rows and then the three needle bindoff for the shoulder seam.
It looks good - should be strong enough but time will tell. I don't
like sewing the ladder type shoulder seams.

Japanese seed beads Daisy Beads 2 April 14th 05 09:03 AM
Japanese Fabric - need info quick smart! Sharon Harper Quilting 14 November 30th 04 12:41 AM
New Roses & Japanese embroidery designs, plus freebies! Anna & Polina Marketplace 0 February 7th 04 02:42 PM
Japanese Embroidery Ctr - Mary Monica & Dianne Please Read Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 11 December 5th 03 10:10 PM
Japanese Embroidery Center Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 1 November 23rd 03 06:08 PM