In Today's News: Terrified Quilting Newbie breaks silence!

Old August 13th 03, 02:05 AM
Liz and Steve Ford

Hi Valerie
Welcome to our group, my patchwork errors go on forever and still do but the
earliest memories concern corners that don't meet. That's when I learnt
about buttons - they look homely and hide every sin. So make sure you have a
stash of buttons along with your stash of fabric.

Liz
Waikiki Western Australia
"Valerie in FL" wrote in message
news
Hi! I've been lurking for about a week now, and since you all seem like

warm
and caring folks (recent flame war notwithstanding, hee hee) and since I
see a lot of threads I would like to join in on, I wanted to introduce
myself first. I am 44, recently unemployed, and since it looks like I will
be out of work for awhile, I was looking for something to do occupy

myself,
and discovered quilting!

I've been watching both episodes of Simply Quilts every day, and there are
so many different quilts I want to make! I had a really hard time deciding
which one to start first, but finally settled on a Stack-n-Whack 60 degree
triangle wall quilt, which I plan to machine piece and then hand quilt,
probably in the ditch, since I am a total coward.

I've been spending the last couple of weeks gathering supplies and fabric,
and setting up my sewing corner. I haven't sewn in years, although I

always
enjoyed it. I just know I'm going to make a lot of mistakes. For my first,

found out last night what happens when you put hand quilting thread in a
sewing machine. It took me a little while to figure out the problem was

the
thread type, not the machine. Thank goodness I was using practice fabric

and
not the pricey stuff I bought from the LQS.

Since you all have much more experience than me, would you mind sharing

some
of the mistakes you made when you were new to quilting, and maybe how I

can
avoid them? For example, I haven't used my SM in years, do I need to oil

it?
Where would I do that? It's a 10 year old Singer, and not a great machine.

have a Model 503 with cabinet coming soon (hooray!). I wanted a treadle,

but
DH looked askance at that idea, and since he rarely does that, I let him
win. It's good to do this once in a while, I think.

Valerie in FL
Terrified Quilting Newbie

Old August 13th 03, 08:33 PM
Valerie in FL

Default In Today's News: Terrified Quilting Newbie breaks silence!

[...]

enjoyed it. I just know I'm going to make a lot of mistakes. For my first, I
found out last night what happens when you put hand quilting thread in a
sewing machine. It took me a little while to figure out the problem was the
thread type, not the machine. Thank goodness I was using practice fabric and
not the pricey stuff I bought from the LQS.

Since you all have much more experience than me, would you mind sharing some
of the mistakes you made when you were new to quilting, and maybe how I can
avoid them? For example, I haven't used my SM in years, do I need to oil it?
Where would I do that? It's a 10 year old Singer, and not a great machine. I

Old August 13th 03, 08:47 PM
frood

Hi, Valerie! Gosh, you're braver than I - my first half-dozen quilts or so
were all just squares and rectangles! I've done some triangles, but no
diamonds, yet. I have the S&W book, but I'm not ready for that!

I don't know about your machine, but if it was mine, I'd take it to a local
SM fix-it shop and ask them to clean and lube it for you.

Welcome to the ng!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old August 13th 03, 09:35 PM
Polly Esther

Hi Valerie and welcome. I took a quick trip down memory lane to pick out
my worst quilting mistake. "Choice of batting" was certainly the winner. I
thought a nice thick fluffy polyester batting would just be wonderful.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. A super-thick, luscious poly batting will cause
the top to shift to the left and the backing to shift to the right, or the
opposite or both all at once.
Kate T., my buddy from over on the other side of the Mississippi coast
taught me to use 80% cotton and 20% poly. This blend just sweetly stays put
and lets you quilt instead of struggle.
And I need to mention breathing. It is very important to breathe during
all steps in quilting. You just won't last long if you're holding your
breath. Trust me. Polly

"Valerie in FL" wrote (snipped, I have a challenged computer)

Old August 13th 03, 09:57 PM
Kate Dicey

I'll take this from the top.as it's easier that way!

Valerie in FL wrote:

Hi! I've been lurking for about a week now, and since you all seem like warm
and caring folks (recent flame war notwithstanding, hee hee) and since I
see a lot of threads I would like to join in on, I wanted to introduce
myself first. I am 44, recently unemployed, and since it looks like I will
be out of work for awhile, I was looking for something to do occupy myself,
and discovered quilting!

Welcome! I'm 46 and work at and from home. This is THE BEST group
ever! (That wasn't a real flame war - just a bit of toast smoking!)

I've been watching both episodes of Simply Quilts every day, and there are
so many different quilts I want to make! I had a really hard time deciding
which one to start first, but finally settled on a Stack-n-Whack 60 degree
triangle wall quilt, which I plan to machine piece and then hand quilt,
probably in the ditch, since I am a total coward.

I wish we had Simply Quilts here! The UK is a sewing programme desert!

Stack n Whack as a FIRST quilt? Brave lady! I have the bits to do one,
but have yet to get to it. I stitched all my quilts so far in the dutch
on the machine (with a little other quilting for fun elsewhere). You
can see them if you hit the URL below and look at the Quilty Things.
I've been dressmaking a long time, but quilting only about 18 months.

I've been spending the last couple of weeks gathering supplies and fabric,
and setting up my sewing corner. I haven't sewn in years, although I always
enjoyed it. I just know I'm going to make a lot of mistakes. For my first, I
found out last night what happens when you put hand quilting thread in a
sewing machine. It took me a little while to figure out the problem was the
thread type, not the machine. Thank goodness I was using practice fabric and
not the pricey stuff I bought from the LQS.

The manual for the machine will tell you where it needs oiling, if it
does: check first, and DO oil if it needs it. BEFORE you do that, give
it a thorough clean, inside the bobbin case and round the tension disks
and threading path. Pay particular attention to the thread path after
trying to use that hand quilting thread! I think it has a coating that
can really mess your tension up if you aren't careful.

Since you all have much more experience than me, would you mind sharing some
of the mistakes you made when you were new to quilting, and maybe how I can
avoid them? For example, I haven't used my SM in years, do I need to oil it?
Where would I do that? It's a 10 year old Singer, and not a great machine. I
have a Model 503 with cabinet coming soon (hooray!). I wanted a treadle, but
DH looked askance at that idea, and since he rarely does that, I let him
win. It's good to do this once in a while, I think.

Valerie in FL
Terrified Quilting Newbie

Luckily, I haven't yet made any HUGE glaring error, except cutting a
pile of triangles out of expensive fabric all the wrong size! GRR!

What were you thinking about with that treadle? Dearie me! I have just
acquired a treadle, DESPITE being given The Look over the top of the
specs by the DH! You can see his version of The Look on our web
site... I have to get rid of a wardrobe eventually to make room for the
treadle! At the moment it's occupying slightly too much space in the
dining room.

Never mind... There will be another treadle along in a while.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 13th 03, 10:40 PM
Valerie in FL

South Florida - Pembroke Pines, NW of Miami. You down here too?

Old August 13th 03, 11:02 PM
Patti

Hullo Valerie and welcome
You will get lots of support here, so you needn't be afraid to tackle
anything!!
If your pattern includes triangles/diamonds, just be aware that you will
be dealing with at least some edges which are on the bias of the fabric.
This is nothing to be afeared of, but just know to take extra care when
handling - keep it to a minimum and make sure not to stretch any of
these edges when pinning or guiding through the machine.
A quilt whose pattern you love and really want to do will see you
through any difficulties you may encounter.

The other thing I'll mention is the width of seams. Traditionally
quilting seams are quart of an inch. If you do not have a special foot
(and you don't need to get one really), place a layer or two of masking
tape on the needle plate of the machine so that the distance between the
point of the needle and the left hand edge of the tape (or whatever you
use) is precisely a quarter of an inch. The trickiest parts of seams to
keep to the right measurement are the beginning and the end, especially
the latter, as machines tend to want to move the piece to the left, when
you can no longer hold it with your fingers. Just be aware.

None of these things are difficult, you just need to know to watch for
them.

Have terrific fun with this quilt; I haven't done one but I understand
that they are very satisfying to do and look great.
..
In article , Valerie in FL
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 13th 03, 11:21 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

If it were me, I'd take my machine in for a good cleaning and tune up
before getting into heavy duty sewing. I like to take mine in yearly as
I do a lot of machine sewing. See if they offer freebie classes on
machines; some places do and you can learn a lot obout the care and
feeding of your machine that way.

Mistakes......

Sewing the right side to the wrong side of the fabric.

In a quilt where all the blocks were supposed to point in one particular
direction having one looking the "other" way.

Thinking I picked up two triangles to sew together but really picking up
three and then wondering why I had an extra left over later.

Thinking I would save time by "birthing a quilt" aka sewing all three
layers together like a pillow but laying them out top, batting, backing
instead of top, backing, batting so when it was flipped right side out
the batting was the backing and well...you get the idea.

I'm sure I've heard stories of other things, but I can't recall. None
of these actually happened to me you understand :-)

marcella

Old August 13th 03, 11:31 PM
Valerie in FL

I wanted to do something I would be eager to finish, and the SnW book lists
that particular pattern as 'easy'. I guess 'easy' is relative. sigh

"Kathy in CA" wrote in message
Hi Valerie. Welcome to the group! I did a lot of reading and surfing the
web before I attemped my first quilt and I certainly was not brave enough

do a stack and whack! I just started quilting this year and I have been
doing free BOMs I have found on the web so I have a variety of blocks to
create so I can learn what I like best. I have learned a lot from these
ladies and gents just from reading and occasionly asking a few questions.

have been sewing since I was 14 (I'm a grandma now) and rediscovered my

love
of sewing and crocheting when I started making baby things for my daughter
last year. After a few "cheater baby quilts" I decided I could do better

and
so here I am--a quilter enthusiast
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

[...]

OT - Story - The Happiest News of All Kathy N-V Beads 8 January 22nd 05 10:32 PM
Quilting Breaks dogmom Quilting 5 July 30th 03 04:52 AM
Newbie question- outline quilting and so on Barbara Bomberger Quilting 5 July 20th 03 08:50 PM