Fusible Experience

Old January 23rd 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Fusible Experience

Does anyone have experience with Steam a Seam 2? I finished the Quilt
Diva I've been working on for a while now and it seems stiff. It's
multiple layers of fusible in some places up to 3 or 4 layers. Will
this soften up a bit when washed? Would you attempt to wash before
embellishing??? I keep telling myself thru this entire quilt breathe
deep, be open and learn, but man..... I'm not sure I was open to this
much of a learning curve vbg

Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

Old January 23rd 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Hi Jan,
I use a lot of fusible, I really like applique. Most of it is just play
and I don't "do" anything with it, but I have experimented with just
about every kind of fusible out there. For ease of use, Steam a Seam is
the best. You just trace off on the "back", cut and fuse. But it is
thick and stiff, especially if using multiple layers. I have switched,
entirely, to Misty Fuse. I haven't seen it offered locally and I buy it
from online sources. While costing more than Wonder Under (which put
out some bad batches in the past year or so), it is much less than
Steam a Seam -- usually around $3 a yard. It has no outer layer so it's
a bit fiddly. But the payoff is more than worth the effort. It stays
soft. I have pieces with three or four layers that are still soft and
drapey. I would recommend buying a small package and trying it out. It
works best with a non-stick ironing sheet under it and another on top.

Sunny (Who isn't selling Misty Fuse and isn't making money off it)

Old January 23rd 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Thanks Sunny, but to clarify, the quilt is quilted and binding is on,
so I'm not changing the fuse product at this point vbg I'm trying to
figure out if it will soften up a bit if I soak it, or if I should just
go ahead and embellish as is.

Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

Old January 23rd 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Jan, sorry for the misunderstanding. There's a chance the quilt will
soften a bit when washed. Are you going to post pics? or have you
posted pics and I just haven't seen them?

Sunny

Old January 23rd 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Thanks Sunny! It's an Amy Bradley Pattern and I've posted pics from
time to time on this project.... it's taken me (gasp) close to two
years to finish. I went with the products that the designer suggested,
and I've struggled with this one quite a bit. Mainly because I just
don't enjoy sewing down all those fused pieces. I'll post some pics
when I'm done embellishing. I'm saving that for my DH's next trip as
something to entertain and distract DD with . ;-) Amy's website seems
to be down for me this morning, but here's someone else selling it so
you can get an idea.... it's pretty big... and I'm pretty short.... so
it's almost life size for me ;-)
http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1829

Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva