OT - Recipes which use olive oil or balsamic vinegar?

Old December 26th 04, 03:48 PM
Johanna Gibson

Default OT - Recipes which use olive oil or balsamic vinegar?

Hello folks,
I received olive oil for Christmas - went to the cupboard and I
already have 3 bottles of it! Plus 2 bottles of balsamic vinegar.
Clearly I'm not using it as fast as I am receiving it.
Do any of you have great recipes for using these ingredients? I
would like to try them out.
Thanks,

-- Jo in Scotland
Old December 26th 04, 03:58 PM
theys

Hi, My Dear DIL told me on our Christmas visit to OK that her
hairdresser prescribed that she use an olive oil pre-shampoo treatment
every time she shampoos for her dry,brittle hair. I found this out as
she was informing DS that the olive oil DOES belong in the shower.
I'll just bet it would help soften your skin as it rinses down over
your body too??? Hugs Kathy

Old December 26th 04, 04:03 PM
WhansaMi

Hello folks,
I received olive oil for Christmas - went to the cupboard and I
already have 3 bottles of it! Plus 2 bottles of balsamic vinegar.
Clearly I'm not using it as fast as I am receiving it.
Do any of you have great recipes for using these ingredients? I
would like to try them out.
Thanks,

-- Jo in Scotland

My favorite is to cut fresh tomatoes. Marinade in olive oil and basalmic
vinegar. Top with fresh mozzarella and chopped fresh basil and serve with
toasted, sliced baguette.

Another way I use them is to dice up cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and red onions
in a sealable bowl or bag. Whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and
pour it onto the cukes and red onions. Put in the refrigerator for about an
hour or two, shaking periodically to make sure the marinade in reaching all the
veggies. Pour into a bowl, and toss with greek olives and feta cheese. Yummy!

Sheila
Old December 26th 04, 04:20 PM
Jeri

Johanna Gibson wrote:
Hello folks,
I received olive oil for Christmas - went to the cupboard and I
already have 3 bottles of it! Plus 2 bottles of balsamic vinegar.
Clearly I'm not using it as fast as I am receiving it.
Do any of you have great recipes for using these ingredients? I
would like to try them out.

Slice cucumber, tomato, little bit of onion, little bit of garlic, sprinkle
with oregano, add some feta cheese and olives (preferably Greek), drizzle
with olive oil. Yum!

Old December 26th 04, 04:55 PM
Elizabeth Wilson

Do you like garlic too? If so, Spaghetti with Oil and Garlic is terrific.
This recipe is from The Silver Palate Cookbook.

12 garlic cloves
1/4 cup best-quality olive oil
4 quarts water
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 pound spaghetti
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup finley chopped Italian parsley
freshly ground black pepper
grated imported Parmesan cheese

1. Peel garlic cloves. Mince 6 of them and set aside. Slice remaining
garlic.
2. Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add sliced garlic and cook over medium
heat, stirring occassionally, unti golden brown.
3. Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in alarge pot. Stir in salt, add the
spaghetti, and cook until tender but still firm; do not overcook. Drain
pasta well and transfer back to the pot.
4. Add the chicken broth to the pasta and simmer until most of the broth has
been absorbed, 5 minutes or so.
5. Stir in the heated olive oil and sliced garlic, then the minced garlic
and the chopped parsley. Toss thoroughly.
6. Divide the pasta evenly among heated plates or shallow soup bowls. Pour
any remaining broth over pasta, and serve immediately, accompanied by lots
of freshly ground black pepper and grated Parmesan cheese.

This is also good cold as the basis for a pasta salad.

Elizabeth Wilson (Spring, Texas)

Old December 26th 04, 05:06 PM
Pauline O'Connell

I use olive oil in place of vegetable oil for practically everything. You
can use olive oil when you make a cake, instead of olive oil, for example.
Not sure if this is popular in Scotland, but here, when we dine out,
frequently the server will bring a shallow bowl of balsamic vinegar & olive
oil mixed with herbs for dipping our bread in. I prefer this over butter -
mmmmm!

Pauline

Old December 26th 04, 05:12 PM
Pauline O'Connell

I'm sure those of you that are wide awake read what I meant to write You
can use olive oil, instead of vegetable oil in a cake!
Pauline
m...

Old December 26th 04, 05:27 PM
Roberta Zollner

Make your own salad dressing, and have a nice green salad every day. Cover
the bottom of your salad bowl with good olive oil. (little bowl = little
amount, big bowl, bigger amount) Add a Tbsp or so vinegar or lemon juice.
Add seasoned pepper, chopped herbs, salt, garlic, etc. to taste. Maybe also
a spoonful of water if you use a lot of dried herbs. Stir vigorously with
your salad fork until it looks emulsified. Throw in the leaves and toss.
Eat. Mop up the rest of the oil with bread.
Instead of buttered bread with dinner, pour a little olive oil on the plate
and dip your crusty Italian slice in that.
Simple pasta sauce: olive oil, salt and pepper, chopped herbs.
Pesto: A couple bunches of fresh basil, oregano or rucola or a mixture. Whiz
in a blender, adding pine nuts, olive oil and a bit of vinegar. Season with
s&p and add whatever else you think it needs. Great with pasta. Pesto made
with rucola and lime juice is divine with fish! If you make too much for one
meal, it freezes well.
Roberta in D

Old December 26th 04, 05:58 PM
DrQuilter

how about pesto?

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)

Best Cone 10 Glaze Recipes sam Pottery 4 December 22nd 04 10:58 PM
true confessions about recipes Karen C - California Needlework 1 December 12th 03 04:14 AM
Cone 10 Glaze Recipes for Reduction Celeste Pottery 3 July 14th 03 08:18 PM