Titainium

Old July 25th 08, 10:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Titainium

I wanna play with some.
Is it at all possible ever to weld it? Maybe with electricity or
hydrogen/oxygen?
Can it be hammered on to any useful end?

I specifically want to drill tiny holes in a silver ring and insert
tiny rods of titanium into those holes and have them stay.

Oh, and can one cut it with a jewelers saw and file/sand/polish it?
--

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Old July 26th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

wrote:
I wanna play with some.
Is it at all possible ever to weld it?

Curiously you could figure out how to post to a news group, but you
could not figure out how to do a search online using Google. Did you
possibly ever consider using the search term "welding titanium"? Try
it, it may give you some answers.

The following fusion-welding processes are used for joining titanium and
titanium alloys:

* Gas-tungsten arc welding (GTAW)
* Gas-metal arc welding (GMAW)
* Plasma arc welding (PAW)
* Electron-beam welding (EBW)
* Laser-beam welding (LBW)
* Friction welding (FRW)
* Resistance welding (RW)

Maybe with electricity

Google it.

or
hydrogen/oxygen?

No

Can it be hammered on to any useful end?

Not by you. Again Google it! Search term "forging titanium"

I specifically want to drill tiny holes in a silver ring and insert
tiny rods of titanium into those holes and have them stay.

What do you consider to be "tiny"? The smallest diameter of
commercially available wire is .063" and the smallest diameter of
commercially available welding wire is .035". (Google "titanium rod" or
titanium wire")

And which of the dozen or so Ti alloys do you want to use?

Oh, and can one cut it with a jewelers saw and file/sand/polish it?

Yes, depending on the alloy you choose.

Please learn to chew your own food. It's easy, trust me.

If you want me to chew it for you, from now on the fee is $150.00 per
hour, with a minimum retainer of 4 hours.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old July 26th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:33:16 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

Please learn to chew your own food. It's easy, trust me.

I think he knows, given that in another post, he suggests that he is already of
"enhanced size"... :-)

If you want me to chew it for you, from now on the fee is $150.00 per
hour, with a minimum retainer of 4 hours.

Fortunately, most other readers of this newsgroup, (which was specifically set
up for the purpose of people involved in the craft of jewelry to have a place to
discuss the various technical and aesthetic aspects of the craft, which would
surely include basic questions about titanium working) are more generous with
their advice and time here. (so are you, Abrasha, even if you claim otherwise
(grin)) And besides, if everyone with a question or topic to bring up went to
Google or another forum first, then this one would never get any posts of any
interest. Certainly not that sort for which a small cadre of possibly bored
pros sits around and waits, since it gives them the opportunity to spring into
action and display their knowledge for a no doubt awstruck world... Kinda like
those country redneck boys who own a sturdy pickup truck for no other reason
than they know, with certainty, that if they wait long enough, someone in an
ordinary car will run off the road and require their services to help pull them
out of the ditch....

By the way, regarding forging titanium. Some alloys are almost impossible, it's
true. But commercially pure (CP) titanium isn't too bad. It work hardenes
quickly, so there's only so far you can forge it. But often, if you plan ahead,
that's enough. Don't plan on annealing it. That requires a high vaccuum or
inert atmosphere to do.

For most jewelers, most welding or joining methods used in industry aren't an
available option. The PUK welders work with it, as do the jewelry laser welders
if you've got an argon gas shield. I find the results a bit spotty with mine,
but the argon shielding setup on my laser isn't so great. Sparkie fusion
welders, used to put on various findings like ear posts and the like, work great
with titanium, either putting titanium findings on other metals, or findings of
other metals onto titanium. This offers some joining capabilities, since an ear
post welded to your titanium, can also be thought of as a rivet attached at one
end, and ready to rivet over on the other. But barring these types of welders,
most jewelers working with titanium content themselves with cold joining methods
like rivets, screws, glues, etc.

For your inserted wires, I'd suggest using an annealed CP titanium wire/rod,
with holes drilled the exact size so the wire can be forced in. Then slightly
open up the outer bit of each side of the holes, giving a chamfer. Then you can
lightly peen over the wires, upsetting them as rivets. After filing flush, the
bit forced into the wider chamfers will hold them in place just fine.

Peter
Old July 26th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

If you want me to chew it for you, from now on the fee is $150.00 per
hour, with a minimum retainer of 4 hours.

Only if you'll barf it into my mouth.

--

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane
mittam.
Old July 30th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

On Jul 25, 10:33 am, wrote:
I wanna play with some.
Is it at all possible ever to weld it? Maybe with electricity or
hydrogen/oxygen?
Can it be hammered on to any useful end?

I've had no end of fun hammering titanium. For example, this, cold-
forged from wire (CP, from Reactive Metals):
http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/jew...tisquiggle.htm

or these, from sheet (unknown alloy, from a surplus dealer):
http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/jew...tipendants.htm

or this (again, unknown alloy, but probably 6/4):
http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/jew...oiseripple.htm

It does work-harden, but on this scale you can mostly overcome that by
using a bigger hammer.

Oh, and can one cut it with a jewelers saw and file/sand/polish it?

Yes, but you'll get through blades fairly quickly.

R.

Old August 6th 08, 10:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

wrote:
On Jul 25, 10:33 am, wrote:
I wanna play with some.
Is it at all possible ever to weld it? Maybe with electricity or
hydrogen/oxygen?
Can it be hammered on to any useful end?

I've had no end of fun hammering titanium. For example, this, cold-
forged from wire (CP, from Reactive Metals):
http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/jew...tisquiggle.htm

or these, from sheet (unknown alloy, from a surplus dealer):
http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/jew...tipendants.htm

or this (again, unknown alloy, but probably 6/4):
http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/jew...oiseripple.htm

It does work-harden, but on this scale you can mostly overcome that by
using a bigger hammer.

Oh, and can one cut it with a jewelers saw and file/sand/polish it?

Yes, but you'll get through blades fairly quickly.

R.

Congratulations on the progress you have made.
You have shown what just having a go will produce and not being afraid
to hit it!!.
Ive been a titanium smith for some 20 odd years and here's a couple of
tips for you.
When youve made your item, polish it well.
then fire oxidise it to a colour well past the blue stage.
Use an oxygen free flame that envelops the whole piece. Then polish
off the high spots and reoxidise again to a lower temp. this way youll
get a 2 colour efect, and using fire youll get a much harder oxide fiish.
Show us the results you get
Stick to 99% titanium if you can.
Go to Google and type in Ted Frater bronzesmith and minter to see the
titanium bowls ive made.
Update for you all on this group.
just deliverd the past 2 months work.
2500 hot forged commemorative plaques for the 40th Great dorset Steam fair.
Ted Frater
Dorset UK.