knitting a flat pattern in the round

Old June 3rd 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy[_2_]

Default knitting a flat pattern in the round

Hi guys!
I'm about to start this project: http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns2/c...-hatmitts.html.
It calls for doing it flat and sewing up a seam for the hat. I much
prefer to work in the round. Is there anything I need to know to
modify the pattern in order to do this? Thanks guys!

Wendy
a Knitting Fool in Connecticut

Old June 3rd 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy[_2_]

On Jun 3, 5:58 pm, suzee wrote:
myswendy wrote:
Hi guys!
I'm about to start this project:http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns2/c...-hatmitts.html.
It calls for doing it flat and sewing up a seam for the hat. I much
prefer to work in the round. Is there anything I need to know to
modify the pattern in order to do this? Thanks guys!

Wendy
a Knitting Fool in Connecticut

You'll need to rewrite the WS rows if you're going to do the Fair Isle
because you'll be coming at them from the other direction.

sue

so---- Row 1 is left to right and Row 2 is right to left? Ugh. That
might mess me up if I'm not paying strict attention. Ick.

Old June 4th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

myswendy wrote:
On Jun 3, 5:58 pm, suzee wrote:
myswendy wrote:
Hi guys!
I'm about to start this project:http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns2/c...-hatmitts.html.
It calls for doing it flat and sewing up a seam for the hat. I much
prefer to work in the round. Is there anything I need to know to
modify the pattern in order to do this? Thanks guys!
Wendy
a Knitting Fool in Connecticut

You'll need to rewrite the WS rows if you're going to do the Fair Isle
because you'll be coming at them from the other direction.

sue

so---- Row 1 is left to right and Row 2 is right to left?

No, row 1 is R to L and row 2 is L to R.... when knitting in the flat.
To knit in the round you do R 1 (3, 5, etc) as they're written, R to L,
but the even rows have to be reversed, which you might also be able to
read R to L. I don't do much with charts, so someone else will have to
confirm that.

Ugh. That might mess me up if I'm not paying strict attention. Ick.

Yeah, it could get off just a bit....

sue
Old June 4th 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy[_2_]

On Jun 3, 9:22 pm, suzee wrote:
myswendy wrote:
On Jun 3, 5:58 pm, suzee wrote:
myswendy wrote:
[...]

sue- Hide quoted text -

Ok, I'm convinced. I'll knit it flat. HAHAHA! Thanks!
Wendy

Old June 5th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Or you could DRAW the pattern as is and that it a matter of looking at
signs not letters either way you choose ,,,,
mirjam

On Jun 3, 9:22 pm, suzee wrote:

Old June 5th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy[_2_]

On Jun 4, 10:28 pm, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:
Or you could DRAW the pattern as is and that it a matter of looking at
signs not letters either way you choose ,,,,
mirjam

I'm just starting to learn how to read schematics---I think that might
be "out of the frying pan, into the fire" for me at this moment. LOL!

Wendy

Old June 5th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Try this ,,, knitting looks like
VVVVVVVVV
thus you know that on one side it is knit

But the other side looks like ~~~~~~~~~

But if you knit first row and purl back

it still will look on one side like this

VVVVVVVVVVVV
VVVVVVVVVVVV
and the other side like this
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

you decided that you always look at the outer side but will know what
to do if you are on the other side [ =purl back ]
mirjam

On Tue, 05 Jun 20

07 03:47:46 -0700, myswendy wrote:

On Jun 4, 10:28 pm, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:
Or you could DRAW the pattern as is and that it a matter of looking at
signs not letters either way you choose ,,,,
mirjam

I'm just starting to learn how to read schematics---I think that might
be "out of the frying pan, into the fire" for me at this moment. LOL!

Wendy

Tank top - in the round or flat? Laura J Yarn 12 June 4th 07 07:35 PM
Knitting a flat circle - the math? Gallagher Yarn 10 March 12th 05 03:52 PM
flat round peyote stitch? Amber Beads 5 November 6th 04 01:41 PM
flat round peyote graph alia Beads 0 October 22nd 03 06:37 PM
Flat Knitting Knitterbugs Yarn 16 September 3rd 03 08:38 AM