Lion Incredible ribbon yarn for sweater?

Old May 23rd 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Default Lion Incredible ribbon yarn for sweater?

On May 23, 11:20 am, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:
Melinda, hoping that this group is not antipathetic to people who are
trying to learn to knit in their limited spare time

I'm sorry Melinda, I've obviously upset you and that was not my
intention in any way.
Please don't take what I say as criticism for asking questions - you
are absolutely right to do so and this group is very helpful and wise.

What I've been trying to express (but have obviously not succeeded in
doing so) is that even with the best laid plans things go wrong in
knitting and I wouldn't want anyone to be too disapointed when that
happens. In my mind (and this is just my opinion), if someone really
enjoy the process of knitting and not just the outcome then it's a
pastime they will find rewarding.

I really like experimenting with knitting and that's why I recommended
the "the try it and see" approach. That doesn't mean that no questions
would be asked (or that you are wrong to do so). I do recommend being
ambitious and creative - I sincerely believe this to be a rewarding
approach to knitting but again, it is my belief and as such may be
disregarded.

My apologies for any offense I have caused.

VP

Old May 23rd 07, 09:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Vintage Purls wrote:

I really like experimenting with knitting and that's why I recommended
the "the try it and see" approach. That doesn't mean that no questions
would be asked (or that you are wrong to do so). I do recommend being
ambitious and creative - I sincerely believe this to be a rewarding
approach to knitting but again, it is my belief and as such may be
disregarded.

My apologies for any offense I have caused.

I was not offended, just totally puzzled as to why I would get that kind
of response.

I think you and I are cut from different cloths, if you will pardon the
sewing metaphor in a knitting group. I have sewn for 30-some-odd,
almost 40-some-odd years, and my pleasure in sewing is the finished
product. Yes, I make mistakes, but they are lessons to learn in the
pursuit of the perfectly-fitting, perfect color, perfect fiber content,
etc. garment, and the joy of that finished lasts a LOOOOOONG time. But
the process of pinning, sewing, trimming edges, cutting out patterns?
It's not the part I enjoy -- I enjoy the planning process and the
finished garment, and the construction is just the long trip to get me
from point A to point B. And the mistakes to learn something are part
of the planning process as well.

You may not understand that, but honestly, it works for me. Or maybe
it's just a matter of semantics.

I have about 80% Autumn and 20% Winter coloring, and it's incredibly
difficult to find sweaters (or knee socks LOL) in my SSBBW size that are
in the colors that I like that AREN'T white or black and that have
relatively easy-care instructions.

I may go back to my knitting machine yet, but it needs to be fixed first
and I need to find a place for it. In the meantime, it's easier for me
to pick up knitting for a 10-15 minute break or to take with me when I
have to go to a doctor's appointment or something than it is to take
sewing, so I am hoping to be able to make lots of everyday sweaters,
some nice sweaters, and lots of knee socks for winter as well as lots of
slippers to wear around the house year-round.

Regards,
Melinda
Old May 23rd 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

I have sewn for 30-some-odd,
almost 40-some-odd years, and my pleasure in sewing is the finished
product. Yes, I make mistakes, but they are lessons to learn in the
pursuit of the perfectly-fitting, perfect color, perfect fiber content,
etc. garment, and the joy of that finished lasts a LOOOOOONG time. But
the process of pinning, sewing, trimming edges, cutting out patterns?
It's not the part I enjoy -- I enjoy the planning process and the
finished garment, and the construction is just the long trip to get me
from point A to point B. And the mistakes to learn something are part
of the planning process as well.

You may not understand that, but honestly, it works for me. Or maybe
it's just a matter of semantics.

You and me both, Melinda. Sorry for not answering sooner, but Teranews
seems to have been sleeping at the switch the last few days, and I have
only rec'd about a dozen messages a day total on all the boards I read.
Anyway, I went over to Google to see what was going on, and this is
what I think................. As you have been away from knitting for a
while, I recommend you get some reasonable quality acrylic yarn - if it
feels even slightly harsh or scratchy in the skein it will be even worse
on - buy a traditional style pattern to go with it, do a gauge swatch,
and get going. Either a worsted or a chunky weight yarn will do,
although I prefer worsted in this climate. IMO, a "regular" style
pattern, with a back, two sleeves and two fronts is easier to knit in
odd minutes here and there, and you can measure progress more simply.
As you are short and cuddly you may need to adjust both sleeve length
and torso length unless you prefer your cardigans hip length and your
sleeve cuffs turned up.

Feel free to e-mail me off-list if (when) you need more info.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old May 25th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Olwyn Mary wrote:

Feel free to e-mail me off-list if (when) you need more info.

Hiya! I didn't realize that you knit as well.

It gets a tad chilly here in the winter when I turn the thermostat down
low at night and am working, sitting still with my underactive thyroid
that acts like a deep freeze, so I am looking for something that will be
reasonably warm.

I supposed I could use a tweedy-looking yarn to avoid having a sweater
in just one boring color. As you may already have figured, I am OCDing
big-time over this one silly little project (which actually feels good
given that I don't have space to set up my sewing machine right now with
my daughter sitting out of college for a year using my usual sewing
space for her personal living area space now that her former space has
since been taken up with the guinea pig cage). And the more opinions
the better, because when something clicks, I know I will be able to run
with it instead of just have brain fibrillations.
Old May 25th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

Hiya! I didn't realize that you knit as well.

It gets a tad chilly here in the winter when I turn the thermostat down
low at night and am working, sitting still with my underactive thyroid
that acts like a deep freeze, so I am looking for something that will be
reasonably warm.

Sure I knit, and embroider, and crochet. I'm from "over there" where
girls were taught these things at a young age. At the age of six (first
grade)I remember sitting in class - church school - doing a running
stitch round three sides of a rectangle of tulle to make lavendar bags
for the church bazaar. The following year I knit a scarf in school
colors. So, I can help you with all of those things, just as you helped
me with my computer.

If you start with chunky yarn and fat needles it will go fast.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.