Yarn: LionBrand Magic Stripes

Old August 12th 03, 10:39 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default Yarn: LionBrand Magic Stripes

Hi fellow RCTY-er's!!
Here's 'another' yarn query for you... have any of our elite bought and
USED the LionBrand Magic Stripes yarn?
If you have, did you only use it for socks?
I'm wondering this: they sort of recommend it for socks, and show sock
made with it, and it shows beautiful stripes and designs... am wondering
how it would work up on 'bigger' projects?
Hugs,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
(Knitting, Crocheting, Tatting & BobbinLace are my NICHE in life...)

Old August 12th 03, 11:25 PM
Allaya Diep

I've never used the Magic Stripes yarn, but I've used Socka by Regia, which
is pretty much the same thing -- computer-dyed yarn that works up into a
pattern when knitted.

Things I've noticed from using the Regia is that they definitely have a
gauge and foot size in mind. My feet must be a little larger than average,
because the stripes don't quite go all around my foot before it changes to a
different pattern. :P

That's not to say you can't use it on larger items. You COULD, but keep in
mind that the pattern you get won't necessarily look like what it's
"supposed" to look like.

Some friends have used the Regia for baby hats and mittens, and it turned
out just fine.

Hope this helps.

Allaya

t...

Old August 13th 03, 03:31 AM
Brian D

Hi Noreen:

Pardon my ignorance here, I'm not one of the more experienced knitters lol!
Are those "magic stripes" the ones that are formed as you knit? I've seen
something like that in the MaryMaxim book and was just wondering. They are
shown there as socks also.I"ll watch for the answers to your post though,
imagine how easy it would be to knit a multi-coloured afghan with that
yarn.....a lot less weaving in of ends for sure!

Donna from Ontario, Canada

Old August 13th 03, 04:07 AM
Katherine Burgess

Yes, Donna, that is the idea. It is quite different, and I am liking working
with it. So far I have only done socks, but will eventually expand.
Katherine

Old August 13th 03, 07:08 AM
MouseCLP

I'm wondering this: they sort of recommend it for socks, and show sock
made with it, and it shows beautiful stripes and designs... am wondering
how it would work up on 'bigger' projects?
Hugs,
Noreen

You'd probably have to use it for socks or projects with a similar number of
stitches to get the same stripe effect. An afghan knit in strips about 8" or
9" wide would work. Remember that crochet uses more yarn per stitch than
knitting, so you'd either have narrower stripes on the same width panel, or
you'd have to make narrower panels.

Still stitchin' and smilin'
Carol in SC
Old August 13th 03, 04:58 PM
Laurie

Go and try it out....that is the fun part of doing something, with
something that was not the original idea....Go for it Noreen.

I love seeing what a yarn is going to do. I was crocheting a baby
sweater with Paton Pixie and it crocheted in checks! Everyone was
dead impressed that I had done something fancy until I confessed that
I didn't do anything, the yarn did. My Mom is knitting in the same
yarn another infanct sweater and it is striping. How fun...

Laurie
Washougal, WA
Old August 15th 03, 08:29 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:31:42 -0500, Brian D wrote:

Hi Noreen:

Pardon my ignorance here, I'm not one of the more experienced
knitters lol!
Are those "magic stripes" the ones that are formed as you knit?
I've seen
something like that in the MaryMaxim book and was just wondering.
They are
shown there as socks also.I"ll watch for the answers to your post
though,
imagine how easy it would be to knit a multi-coloured afghan with
that
yarn.....a lot less weaving in of ends for sure!

Donna from Ontario, Canada

Hi Donna!
Yes, the yarn is in the Mary Maxin catalogue as well... I first saw it
in the LionBrand catalogue.
I think it WOULD work up wonderfully in bigger projects!
Hugs,
Noreen

Noreen's Knit*che
NATA #447