costumes

Old May 27th 04, 06:52 PM
Faye and Chris Egger

Default costumes

I am charged with constructing a large firm/ ridged head for an animal
costume. Much like the ones you see of Pluto etc. at Disney land. I have
had many thoughts-- chicken wire, papermache, foam. Is there anyone with
experience makeing these types of costumes that could give me some pointers.
Thanks for any info you can give me.
Faye Ann in Central Wisconsin

Old May 27th 04, 10:25 PM
Valkyrie

There's lots of costumers in 'rec.craft.textiles.sewing' and also in
'alt.sewing'. They are good about advise and putting up links. I've made
heads like this for a few children's productions and I used paper mache. I
started out stuffing grocery sacks with balls of newspaper till I got an
approximate shape and size. I then covered it with strips of paper dunked in
wallpaper paste. This is not an over night project. You are better off if
you can do this in stages and let each set of layers dry. When I got down to
the detail I made shredded paper soaked in the paste (sort of paper mache
clay) and then smoothed this down while sculpting and forming the piece.
After everything is completely dry you can pull out all the wadded newspaper
that initially held the form. Cut out the eyes or mouth or where ever the
pour little soul who is going to wear this needs for sight and then paste a
sheer piece of dark or matching fabric, like a chiffon or voile.

Two hints; use the cellulose paste powder to make the paste, you can buy
this where ever you get wallpaper in the DIY stores and set up a fan to blow
on the piece to speed up the drying. I wouldn't recommend the old flour and
water paste formula, it doesn't dry as well and can have a tendency to mold
later on.

Val

Old May 27th 04, 10:42 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Valkyrie" wrote in message

Two hints; use the cellulose paste powder to make the paste, you can buy
this where ever you get wallpaper in the DIY stores

Call the DIY store first -- many of the wholesalers are no longer carrying
dry pastes. My suppliers stopped carrying them about 3 years ago due to low
demand (they don't work well on vinyl wallcovering, which is most of the
market today.) I snagged what I could for the crafters, but my supply ran
out last year.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old May 28th 04, 04:51 PM
Ian

Instead of wallpaper paste you could use PVA glue (white wood glue) watered
down 50:50. This makes a strong hard lightweight shell.

See http://www.hitentertainment.com/arta...rtattacks.html for all
Neil Buchanan's uses of Papier mache

Karen

Old May 28th 04, 06:39 PM
NightMist

On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:42:04 GMT, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

"Valkyrie" wrote in message

Two hints; use the cellulose paste powder to make the paste, you can buy
this where ever you get wallpaper in the DIY stores

Call the DIY store first -- many of the wholesalers are no longer carrying
dry pastes. My suppliers stopped carrying them about 3 years ago due to low
demand (they don't work well on vinyl wallcovering, which is most of the
market today.) I snagged what I could for the crafters, but my supply ran
out last year.

Blick has wheat paste and similar:

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/papiermache/

NightMist
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell
Old May 28th 04, 06:51 PM
bogus address

I am charged with constructing a large firm/ ridged head for an animal
costume. Much like the ones you see of Pluto etc. at Disney land.
I have had many thoughts-- chicken wire, papermache, foam. Is there
anyone with experience makeing these types of costumes that could give
me some pointers.

I did a Chinese dragon about 25 years ago but forget how...

Since nobody else has mentioned this I will: *fire retardant*.

Costumes like this tend to be worn in situations where there are
torches, campfires, candles, fireworks etc.

You could try making the glue up with a saturated solution of borax
(test the result) - otherwise consult your local fire brigade or look
up books on theatrical design.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Old May 29th 04, 12:26 AM

I don't have costume experience, but I'll bet the Timtex used in the
fabric bowls would be a good, lightweight, firm base for such a project.
Nancycog in MD

Old May 30th 04, 01:32 PM
mauvicem

Hi there Tootsie!!!!!!
Glad to see you posted.....you need to tell about your clothing quilting!
and show photos.....

--
Mauvice in Central WI

Old May 31st 04, 12:57 PM