OT Your take on this?

Old October 23rd 03, 09:27 PM
Jan Dunaway

Sorry Diana!! Who knows if she is for real or not. I've had some real
doozy experiences this year with people scaming info from reputable
places and using it for profit in a less than reputable way. If it is a
reporter, I agree as what a load...... should you ask her if she is
planning on full filling your wishes of what you didn't get??!! :-))

Jan

Old October 23rd 03, 09:35 PM
georg

Diana Curtis wrote:

I recieved the following email. Obviously this person used google to find
posts with the key words, wish list. Note, however, that they believe the
post was from last year. Now.. what are your thoughts on it?
My take is that the New York Times has lowered their standards on reporters
if they cant get the date right.
How far off am I?

Having worked for a paper, I can see how they would want to try to use
this sort of resource, but it's most likely someone new to the
newspaper. I'd seriously consider forwarding it with all headers to the
newsroom editor.

It is also a possibility (and equally valid) that this is a person
seeking personal information to use against you, such as credit info.

It would certainly creep me out.

-georg

Old October 23rd 03, 10:06 PM
5 foot 2

Is teems like a legitimate e-mail address....BUT....

I went to the NY Times website and then to the contacts page. I
emailed them and received a list of e-mail address. Catherine
Greenman was not on their list.

If it looks and smells like spam....it probably is.

5 foot 2

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:12:50 -0700, "Diana Curtis"
wrote:

I recieved the following email. Obviously this person used google to find
posts with the key words, wish list. Note, however, that they believe the
post was from last year. Now.. what are your thoughts on it?
My take is that the New York Times has lowered their standards on reporters
if they cant get the date right.
How far off am I?
Diana
ps, the post she quoted was mine, thanking you all for helping me make out a
wish list for my MIL to work from for Christmas. Im not going to repost it
now. :-)

Hi Diana
I'm a reporter for the New York Times working on a story about wish lists,
and I came across your post (below) on Google from last year. I was
wondering, how did the wish list turn out working for you? If you'd be
willing to share your experience, please contact me as soon as you can.

Thanks!
Catherine Greenman
)

Old October 23rd 03, 10:28 PM
Queen of Squishies

Doesn't feel right to me. I would delete it without a backward glance.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
My reply address is scrambled. Please change my
address to hicall80 at earthlink dot net

Old October 23rd 03, 10:33 PM
Diana Curtis

How does one forward an email with all the headers in outlook express? And
would it be more appropriate to send it to the executive editor or the
managing editor?
Thank you!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 23rd 03, 11:04 PM
nzl*

go to the email and rightclick and 'forward as attachment' back to the head
honcho at the paper or to their abuse addy or to the abuse addy that shows
in msg source of the email she sent unless it went thru google then it might
not work. just some ideas for ya. its just plain nasty to do whatever shes
up to with u'r post.
good luck,
jeanne

"Diana Curtis" wrote...

Old October 23rd 03, 11:05 PM
georg

I have no idea how to do it with Outlook. Executive is the manager's
boss, if it's like the paper for which I worked.
-g

Old October 23rd 03, 11:24 PM
Louise

Diana,

I googled "Greenman New York Times" and came up with several sites that go
to or talk about stories Catherine Greenman has written. It looks like she
concentrates on Internet-related stories, as one was about blogging and
another had something to do with Internet dating. Given that one of the
articles was fairly recent, I'm guessing her inquiry is probably legit, but
she just didn't get the date right.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com