SM throat question

Old October 19th 03, 05:15 PM
Dr. Quilter

Default SM throat question

The throat of my new SM (if that is how you call the place through where
the feed dogs come up) is quite wide. The foot it came with is wide
enough to cover them, but also too wide to sew a 1/4" seam. If I put my
narrower feet in to piece with a quilter's seam, will the fabric get
eaten? It happened once, but I was starting a triangle from the acute
corner and you know how those things are finicky....
--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old October 19th 03, 07:40 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

If you would like to use the wider foot, there are a couple of
possibilities. Does your machine have a place to move the needle to the
right? If not, on my Janome and a few other brands you can move the
needle by changing the zig-zag stitch width- even tho you are sewing a
straight stitch. Maybe your machine can do this? If so, use a piece
of paper marked with a scant 1/4 in. and adjust the needle to the right
until the distance from side of the foot to the needle measures your
proper seam allowance. Otherwise, you can mark the scant 1/4 in. seam
allowance with a piece of masking tape (or whatever) in front of the
foot and just slide the fabric under the needle at the place you have
marked. Then sew using the marked place rather than the side of the
foot. Good luck!

Leslie

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life... they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old October 19th 03, 08:33 PM
Polly Esther

If you just must approach a triangle from the tiny point, use a scrap for a
starter. Fold a piece of whatever's closeby and stitch across it. Then,
holding the scrap starter behind the presser foot, you can sew the wee
triangle point without it becoming feeddog food. I confess, I only do this
when the piecing is precious but it works. Actually, I keep a little stack
of odds and ends beside both the SM and the serger to prevent creative
tangles and chewing. HTH, Polly

Old October 19th 03, 09:24 PM
Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\)

I bought a used plate, and had someone weld in the hole(only just enough to
let the needle in) .. this has stopped the eating problem.
You may be able to find a used plate on eBay to fit your machine. or you
could by a new one if they are not much.

Old October 19th 03, 10:12 PM
Elizabeth Young

Dr. Quilter wrote:

The throat of my new SM (if that is how you call the place through where
the feed dogs come up) is quite wide. The foot it came with is wide
enough to cover them, but also too wide to sew a 1/4" seam. If I put my
narrower feet in to piece with a quilter's seam, will the fabric get
eaten? It happened once, but I was starting a triangle from the acute
corner and you know how those things are finicky....

I have a 'straight stitch plate' for my Bernina. It works well for
sewing the beginnings of triangles. It stops most of the "my machine ate
my project!" problems.
I don't know how many other brands of machines come with alternate
throat plates.

liz young in sunny california

Old October 19th 03, 10:28 PM
Pat in Virginia

Madame Ambassador:
The wide area should not be too troublesome if you feed the
fabric smoothly. Here is a tip I learned ages ago in a quilt
class. Start those pesky triangles with a little start piece and
you will avoid the problem of the dogs attacking the acute
corners ... a folded 3" square will do nicely. Then end that
group or chain of sewing with another square, but leave the
square under the foot, ready to start the next chain of piecing.
This is a good use for those bits you cut wrong.
HTH. PAT in VA/USA

Old October 25th 03, 05:14 PM
Dr. Quilter

yes, it can be moved to the right. I think. at least 00 is the left most
position, and 01 the middle, which I prefer. but the thing is that the
wide foot is so wide the 1/4" line might still be under the metal even
with the needle to the right... the second option sounds good, because
the metal plate with the measurements is behind the foot, not in
front... thanks! I'll try and report back! )

Old October 25th 03, 05:16 PM
Dr. Quilter

I am outraged by your boldness, Madamme.... how do you dare suggest I
would ever cut any bits wrong????