Hey, you polymer people! I have a question.

Old May 27th 04, 09:59 PM
Beadbimbo

Default Hey, you polymer people! I have a question.

I've never done anything with polymer, but have a couple of pieces that I've
either bought or received as a gift.

I wanted to try something, where I wanted some silver in the clay. Can I
just bake the clay with the silver in it? I'm assuming that after it's
done, it's too hard to be able to get a silver wire through the clay?

The stuff I have is Fimo, if that makes any difference. Also does it shrink
much?

THANKS! I have no clue what I'm doing, so this first attempt may be a
disaster.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old May 27th 04, 10:18 PM
E J Ralph

On Thu, 27 May 2004 16:59:19 -0400, "Beadbimbo"
wrote:

I've never done anything with polymer, but have a couple of pieces that I've
either bought or received as a gift.

I wanted to try something, where I wanted some silver in the clay. Can I
just bake the clay with the silver in it? I'm assuming that after it's
done, it's too hard to be able to get a silver wire through the clay?

The stuff I have is Fimo, if that makes any difference. Also does it shrink
much?

THANKS! I have no clue what I'm doing, so this first attempt may be a
disaster.

By silver, do you mean wire? - short answer- yes, wire can be baked
directly into the clay. You can also smooth silver leaf (real or
immitation) over the clay surface and bake that - but varnish that
after baking to protect it.

Polyclay has no real noticable shrinkage after baking.

Fimo is a good clay, one of the stronger ones - but needs to be well
kneaded before using - and can be a bit firm if it one of the older
formulations (they recently changed it and it is a lot softer - but
these stocks havent reached every nook and cranny of America yet from
what I can gather)

HTH
Emma
Old May 27th 04, 10:20 PM
E J Ralph

wrote:

I've never done anything with polymer, but have a couple of pieces that I've
either bought or received as a gift.

I wanted to try something, where I wanted some silver in the clay. Can I
just bake the clay with the silver in it? I'm assuming that after it's
done, it's too hard to be able to get a silver wire through the clay?

The stuff I have is Fimo, if that makes any difference. Also does it shrink
much?

THANKS! I have no clue what I'm doing, so this first attempt may be a
disaster.

forgot to add to my last post - if you are using silver wire, it can
be baked into the clay, but will not actually bond with it. So, you
will need to just remove it and glue it back into place with a little
superglue (cyanoacrylate) after baking - unless the design is such
that it is kept in place structurally of course.

Emma
Old May 28th 04, 02:42 AM
Dr. Sooz

http://www.glassattic.com/
Glass Attic: encyclopedia of polymer clay info
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old May 28th 04, 03:26 PM
roxan

I would suggest not using super glue and instead use 2 part epoxy. Supper
glue gets brittle with time.
Roxan

Old May 28th 04, 06:45 PM
E J Ralph

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:26:28 -0400, "roxan"
wrote:

I would suggest not using super glue and instead use 2 part epoxy. Supper
glue gets brittle with time.
Roxan

I personally have not experienced any problems with superglue when
gluing sterling wire into polyclay - but it is important to use a
quality glue and be sure it is fresh too - if your glue is over 6
months old - replace it! Also sand the wire part that will be glued
into the bead - that makes the bond even more secure.

The trouble with epoxy glue for this particular application is that
firstly it is nigh on impossible to physically get enough epoxy glue
into the thin hole where the wire has been removed from ( and any glue
will only work if it is physically there!) and even if you can get the
glue in, it is very difficult do it cleanly. Epoxy is wonderful stuff,
but it is darn gloopy ( - technicaly term there!)

For larger gluing jobs, fixing clay onto brooch or barette backings
for example, I would also use epoxy glue as it has the strength and
flex to cope with the heavy handling those items would get. But for
wire into beads, I find that superglue gives me the best and most
reliable results.

Of course - other's milage may vary as they say!

Emma

Old May 28th 04, 07:07 PM
Dr. Sooz

Superglue is not recommended for jewelry work, as it is too brittle. In the
long run, it will lose its grip, and even cause threads to crack like ice.

HypoCement, a watchmaker's glue, is highly recommended -- and it's easier to
place than superglue. It has a needle applicator. You'll be stunned at how
good it is. Try he
http://snipurl.com/6qdw
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old May 28th 04, 07:42 PM
E J Ralph

On 28 May 2004 18:07:51 GMT, uppies (Dr. Sooz)
wrote:

Superglue is not recommended for jewelry work, as it is too brittle. In the
long run, it will lose its grip, and even cause threads to crack like ice.

HypoCement, a watchmaker's glue, is highly recommended -- and it's easier to
place than superglue. It has a needle applicator. You'll be stunned at how
good it is. Try he
http://snipurl.com/6qdw
~~
Sooz

That looks interesting, the applicator is very nifty indeed! - is it
compatible with polymer clay though?

We have to be careful with polyclay and chemical compatibility issues
when using different products, so I personally wouldn't use that on
polyclay unless it was known to be stable with the clay long term (any
clayers out there that can confirm this?) I will certainly get some
and start conducting some tests with it though as it looks very
interesting.

I can only state again - when it comes to gluing *wire* into *polymer
clay beads* - I have found superglue to be highly reliable. I have
pendants with wire bails glued in that are over 10 years old and show
no problems - I would not sell items made that way unless I was
confident in that process, I wouldn't recommend it in my books either.
I can't speak for other applications and crafts, only what I have
experienced with my own work in polyclay - but I think other clay
artists also recommend and use superglue with their polyclay quite
sucessfully (if memory serves - Victoria Hughes, Sue Heaser and Lisa
Pavelka all also recommend it for certain uses in their books) The
only real no-no with superglue and clay is that it should not be baked
as the bond will degrade with heat.

Sorry - I am not meaning to be an a*** here, just respectfully
disagreeing with you about this *particular* application. I too, would
never use superglue for certain other applications. Horses for courses
as they say.

Emma

Old May 29th 04, 03:20 AM
Dr. Sooz

is it
compatible with polymer clay though?

We have to be careful with polyclay and chemical compatibility issues
when using different products, so I personally wouldn't use that on
polyclay unless it was known to be stable with the clay long term (any
clayers out there that can confirm this?)

I don't know about that, but here's the dope on glue from Glass Attic:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/glues-Diluent.htm

Why is a polymer clay encyclopedia site called "Glass Attic"? I've always
wondered. It has nothing to do with glass.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Polymer question Jan G Beads 7 March 25th 04 11:58 PM
OT Lest anyone see me as harsh Dr. Sooz Beads 108 October 4th 03 01:36 AM
Ad sort of: Info about hubby's polymer beads Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 2 September 23rd 03 05:16 PM
Polymer Clay Question Diana Curtis Beads 1 September 3rd 03 12:09 AM
help please. Deirdre S. Beads 66 August 15th 03 07:51 PM