recycling fabric

Old January 7th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default recycling fabric

So far the quilts I've made -- all three and a half of them -- are made
entirely from new fabric that I bought at a fabric store. I'm realizing
this is an expensive hobby, though, so I'm going to start looking at
thrift stores for fabric (unused, or old household linens). Any tips on
what to look for and what to avoid? Is it tricky sewing together
different kinds of fabric, e.g. if I have a quilt that's mostly new 100%
cotton with some bits of thrifted 50/50 sheets?

--
SML
ready to do lots of washing
Old January 7th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Back in the 70s I made lots of utility quilts with 50/50 sheets as backing.
They were mostly tied with machine sewn, wrap around binding but those
sheets wear like iron and I still have practically every one I made the
kids. The kids are sentimentally attached and won't allow me to
pitch/donate them.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
news:1h8sj1v.1r6i4ft1cb32uyN%que.sara.saraDELETE@g mail.com...

Old January 7th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I took a class run by a lady who uses 100% recycled fabrics in her quilts.
What works really well is anything cotton without too much of a stretch it
it - mens shirts, pyjamas, women's blouses, children's clothes etc. I have
used old shirts in some things I've done and there's no difference between
them and shop-bought cotton.

I think it's really nice to have bits of fabric with a history to them -
like pieces of a little girl's summer dress in a bed quilt or a man's shirts
in a cushion cover. After all, quilting developed through a need to reuse
and recycle old clothes and other household fabrics.

morag

Old January 7th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Bonnie Hunter of quiltville.com has a note about her collection of 100%
cotton men's dress shirts from thrift stores.....
http://quiltville.com/smokeymtstars.shtml

MAmadurk

--
I don't consider myself a book collector. I just have books,
the way one has air to breathe. -N. Hilyard

I cannot live without books. -Thomas Jefferson

Old January 7th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

No rules, Sara!
But, I can tell you from experience (when I've used poly-cotton as it
was just the right colour!) that mixing fabrics within a block doesn't
give you as good a result. Mixed poly/cotton does not press as well,
and, when it 'relaxes' from the iron, I have found that puckers are left
all along the seam line. Collecting cotton fabric from charity shops is
not difficult, just takes a little time. I have found that there are
also a lot of cotton curtains (at least near here there are?). These
would be fine on their own (they are usually thicker than dress or shirt
cotton, so wouldn't mix too well). However, if you are going to machine
quilt the quilt, the 50/50 sheets you mention would be fine for backing.
..
In message 1h8sj1v.1r6i4ft1cb32uyN%que.sara.saraDELETE@gmail .com, Sara
Lorimer writes
So far the quilts I've made -- all three and a half of them -- are made
entirely from new fabric that I bought at a fabric store. I'm realizing
this is an expensive hobby, though, so I'm going to start looking at
thrift stores for fabric (unused, or old household linens). Any tips on
what to look for and what to avoid? Is it tricky sewing together
different kinds of fabric, e.g. if I have a quilt that's mostly new 100%
cotton with some bits of thrifted 50/50 sheets?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old January 8th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

And they've got bonus squares in them too. How's that for a
coincidence.
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old January 8th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You can put together anything you want. Cottons and synthetic blends will
wear/fade differently. Poly is notorious for bearding, especially if you use
poly batting. Synthetics also tend not to hold a crease as well as cotton,
so they can be frustrating especially in blocks with lots of pieces.
Synthetics also hold on to greasy stains. If you plan on hand quilting,
sheets can be pretty tough to stitch. But generally if you keep the fabric
weights similar, you'll have pretty good results.

Have a good look inside seams if you can, just to see how much the fabric
might have faded. Be careful of folds -they will often show more wear and
fading. I'd take apart and wash everything before using, run through the
dryer and press. Going over every inch at the ironing board is a good way to
spot problem areas. If you see a hole or stain, mark it with a bit of bright
contrasting thread.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

Old January 8th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sara - I am a die hard - Remnant Box shopper! Wal Mart, JoAnn's, Hobby
Lobby you name it, if they have fabric, they have remnants and that's
where I put all my focus!

Of course, now I'm also a die hard Freecycler! and have come up with
some GREAT fabrics from Freecycle!

Hugs,
Tina