Health, Migraines, TrueColor Stitching lights, etc.

Old October 23rd 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default Health, Migraines, TrueColor Stitching lights, etc.

As you've probably heard, there's a move afoot in both the US and UK to
ban incandescent light bulbs in 2010. A lawyer is framing a challenge
to it on ADA grounds: fluorescent lights have adverse affects on people
with epilepsy, migraines, autism, lupus, other neurological
conditions... and therefore, "reasonable accommodation" of those
conditions would require the continuing availability of the traditional
light bulbs that don't affect us.

However, here's some information that also challenges it on
environmental grounds.

We all need to be writing to our elected officials to enlighten them
(pun intended) that this is NOT a good decision.

Tony writes: “This article is on Russ Andrews’ website. Russ probably
knows more about mains electricity in the UK than any other person.”
My tests have shown that the CFLs use half the power of a 60W lamp,
not quarter as stated and that's before taking into account the extra
power the supplier must generate.
The net result of using CFLs is that there is no saving whatever…… quite
the opposite; the electricity supply system has doubled its output and
doubled its carbon emissions. The more people use CFLs, the worse the
problem will become. And that's before we've even talked about the fact
that CFLs use mercury in their construction, which leads to more issues
in their disposal.

Meanwhile, every time I have some spare cash, I'm ordering a case of
true color bulbs from Verilux.com for my stitching nest. They last
about a year, so 3-4 dozen should keep me in bulbs for life.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

OCTOBER IS DISABILITY AWARENESS MONTH

Finished 10/7/08 - Sun Fun (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old October 24th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Jangchub wrote:
AND, the MOUSE is caught using this from eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

We used to be plagued with mice when they harvested the barley in the
field at the back of our house. However, since Surrey (our white cat)
arrived we've not seen any mice in or near the house nor have we seen
any signs of mice.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old October 25th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Roy/Jane Kay

I heard that we should be looking into LEDs as an electricity saving option.
No mercury, and for brighter lights just use an array with more little mini
bulbs. There is no flicker either, and they don't seem to get hot like the
halogen bulbs. I bought a flashlight with 17 little mini bulbs that is quite
bright. I haven't seen any lights big enough for a whole room yet, but I
hear they are coming.
Jane in NE Ohio where it is cold, damp, and gloomy

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:15:34 -0700, Karen C in California
wrote:

As you've probably heard, there's a move afoot in both the US and UK to
ban incandescent light bulbs in 2010. A lawyer is framing a challenge
to it on ADA grounds: fluorescent lights have adverse affects on people
with epilepsy, migraines, autism, lupus, other neurological
conditions... and therefore, "reasonable accommodation" of those
conditions would require the continuing availability of the traditional
light bulbs that don't affect us.

..blogspot.com/

Old October 27th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Elizabeth Fusina

Roy/Jane Kay wrote:

I heard that we should be looking into LEDs as an electricity saving option.
No mercury, and for brighter lights just use an array with more little mini
bulbs. There is no flicker either, and they don't seem to get hot like the
halogen bulbs. I bought a flashlight with 17 little mini bulbs that is quite
bright. I haven't seen any lights big enough for a whole room yet, but I
hear they are coming.

The latest I heard was that they have the bulbs, but the current
purchase price is such that the average consumer won't buy them. Those
who can do math, however, will consider them a bargain.

I don't like florescent bulbs because I can see them flicker, and with
the old CRTs, reading on computer screens was nightmarish and gave me
headaches. I love, love, love the flat screens, I don't notice the
flicker of them nearly as much, and they don't give off any glare. I'd
forgotten about competing flicker of florescent tubes and CRTs until I
was at a friends house, and she had both...We finally turned the lights
off until I was done with the computer, as I couldn't even look at the
screen when they were on, it was so painful.

I have a collection of flashlights with LED bulbs, and my Dad got me one
for my birthday that not only has the LED bulbs, but is also hand
cranked.

Elizabeth
Old November 8th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

wrote:

As you've probably heard, there's a move afoot in both the US and UK to
ban incandescent light bulbs in 2010. A lawyer is framing a challenge
to it on ADA grounds: fluorescent lights have adverse affects on people
with epilepsy, migraines, autism, lupus, other neurological
conditions... and therefore, "reasonable accommodation" of those
conditions would require the continuing availability of the traditional
light bulbs that don't affect us.

.blogspot.com/

We`ve got some safety lights with LEDs - you leave them plugged as they are
light sensitive, and only come on in the dark. The clever bit is that the
part with the light in is detachable and can be used as a torch. In the
event of a power-cut it will stay alight for over 10 hours. You don`t have
to unplug it if you need to use the power-point, either - you just plug
right in through the front.

Just bought them for the rest of the family as an extra Christmas present -
particularly as we`ve already had three outages already this winter!

Pat

Health Issue + Stitching! Nadia Abbasi Needlework 5 May 18th 06 02:02 PM
OT Migraines Anne in CA Quilting 25 May 6th 06 04:09 PM
Oh. So THAT'S why../migraines Kaytee Beads 3 September 1st 03 06:10 AM