Some pics of my art quilt

Old December 30th 03, 10:59 PM
Harri Kulju Erin Winslow

Default Some pics of my art quilt

I posted here recently about the lap quilt I made for the local Senior
Centre (and am happy to say that it was much appreciated). Now here are some
pics of the kinds of art quilt work that I usually do.

First some background:

The project/contest is called "new life for the tie" and was sponsored by
the Textile Museum in Borås, Sweden (among other groups). This region of
Sweden has long been known for its textiles and the museum showcases that
history. The Borås newspaper first collected used ties over a period of
months and then gave them to participants to use as raw materials in
creating textile art. We pretty much had a free hand in terms of techniques,
as long as ties formed the basis of the artwork. Most of the works will be
auctioned off for charity afterwards, but a few will be used to create a
museum exhibit.

Anyway, I made a "prehistoric monument" from my ties so the work is called
"Tie Henge." :-)
http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-52319/bilder/tie6.jpg
and for details of the "standing stones"
http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-52319/bilder/tie7.jpg
http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-52319/bilder/tie8.jpg
http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-52319/bilder/tie9.jpg

Take care,
Erin

--
Erin Winslow

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-52319/erin1.htm

Old December 31st 03, 02:22 AM
Two x over

VERY cool stuff!
betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"
Old December 31st 03, 11:52 AM
Roberta Zollner

This looks like so much fun! It's giving me ideas :-)
Roberta in D, with a big box of ties in stash

Old January 1st 04, 12:17 AM
A Joy in Hawaii

"Harri Kulju Erin Winslow" wrote in message ...
I posted here recently about the lap quilt I made for the local Senior
Centre (and am happy to say that it was much appreciated). Now here are some
pics of the kinds of art quilt work that I usually do.

Looks like a lot of fun to make! Are those beads on the quilt, too?

A Joy in Hawaii
Old January 1st 04, 11:47 PM
Harri Kulju Erin Winslow

"A Joy in Hawaii" skrev i meddelandet
om...

Looks like a lot of fun to make! Are those beads on the quilt, too?

Yes, there are beads on the "swirly" standing stone. I got my inspiration
for that from a medieval stone in a local cemetary. You can see the
inspiration for the middle stone if you go to
http://w1.311.telia.com/~u31109407/old_road/index.htm This stone is located
at Vist cemetary as well.

hth

Erin

Old January 1st 04, 11:50 PM
Harri Kulju Erin Winslow

"Harri Kulju Erin Winslow" skrev i meddelandet

"A Joy in Hawaii" skrev i meddelandet
om...

Looks like a lot of fun to make! Are those beads on the quilt, too?

Yes, there are beads on the "swirly" standing stone. I got my inspiration
for that from a medieval stone in a local cemetary. You can see the
inspiration for the middle stone if you go to
http://w1.311.telia.com/~u31109407/old_road/index.htm This stone is

located
at Vist cemetary as well.

Oops, you need to click on "Vist" on the left hand menu.

Since I'm from South Carolina in the U.S., I often feel like I'm living in a
story book as I ride my bike around the countryside and look at the local
castle ruins, cemetaries, churches, etc. :-)

Erin

Old January 2nd 04, 02:14 AM
A Joy in Hawaii

"Harri Kulju Erin Winslow" wrote in message ...
snip:
Yes, there are beads on the "swirly" standing stone. I got my inspiration
for that from a medieval stone in a local cemetary. You can see the
inspiration for the middle stone if you go to
http://w1.311.telia.com/~u31109407/old_road/index.htm This stone is

located
at Vist cemetary as well.

Oops, you need to click on "Vist" on the left hand menu.

Since I'm from South Carolina in the U.S., I often feel like I'm living in a
story book as I ride my bike around the countryside and look at the local
castle ruins, cemetaries, churches, etc. :-)

Erin

Thanks for sharing that stone. I love things that take you back in
time. Which is why I was so obsessed with the Jane Stickle quilt.
Now I feel inspired to work on a quilt that reflects my Hawaii.
Thanks for the inspiration!