Mixing glass types and Tiffany styrofoam forms

Old July 8th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Default Mixing glass types and Tiffany styrofoam forms

Greetings,

My name is Michael. This is my first post to the group. I'm just
starting in stained glass. Can I mix opalescent and transparent
(translucent?) glass in a window, or should I stay with one or the
other?

Also, are there some good mail order places for supplies? I'd like to
eventually make a Tiffany style round hanging lamp, and I know it's
standard practice to build these in sections on a styrofoam form, but
searching Google didn't turn up anything.

Thank you, Michael

Old July 8th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
The Shadow

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings,

My name is Michael. This is my first post to the group. I'm just
starting in stained glass. Can I mix opalescent and transparent
(translucent?) glass in a window, or should I stay with one or the
other?

Also, are there some good mail order places for supplies? I'd like to
eventually make a Tiffany style round hanging lamp, and I know it's
standard practice to build these in sections on a styrofoam form, but
searching Google didn't turn up anything.

Thank you, Michael

Well Michael, the question you have asked is, for some reason, asked alot by
beginners. There is absolutely no reason not to use any glass you find
appealing in any use. Window or Lamp. If you like it, and the way a glass
works with and compliments the other glasses, then use it.

about the lamps, if you can avoid the styroform molds, do it. Unless it
fits your pocket book, there is no reason to limit yourself to someone elses
patterns.

You canh take a large ball or any round shape and adapt it to become a mold.
If you are going to use a mold from someone else, I recommend a full round
mold rather than sections, makes life alot easier, and Odyssey Lamp System
is the easiest to use for beginner and experienced craftsman alike. in my
opinion.

great to have some fresh blood here, ask all the quyestions you like.

Old July 8th 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mike Firth

Delphi Stained Glass is one online source of glass, molds, etc. Try,
however, to find a store that stocks glass that you can visit to handle
glass. You might take a class if you have not done so.
Opalescent and transparent glass can work well together, but they normally
serve different purposes with opalescent being more for looking at (light
bouncing off of it) while transparent works better for light coming through.
Some opalescents give a much different impression when back lit than front
especially with a narrow color band like a yellow candle flame. You might
also like to look at the clears that have white swirled in them.
--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website

Old July 8th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

mixing clear with opaque can have a very cool effect. It makes the clear
really stand out, use it as you may. Try Glasscrafters.com for supplies,
they are in Fl. m

Old July 9th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Thank you to all of you for posting! With your help, I've found lamp
patterns for sale on several sites, along with an incredible selection
of glass and a lot of interesting tools and hardware.

I'm on vacation now in Jacksonville, Florida, and I've got the yellow
pages out and have found several local dealers that I plan on
visiting.

Again, thank you.

Michael

Old July 9th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings,

My name is Michael. This is my first post to the group. I'm just
starting in stained glass. Can I mix opalescent and transparent
(translucent?) glass in a window, or should I stay with one or the
other?

Also, are there some good mail order places for supplies? I'd like to

There are no rules in art. You are allowed to do whatever you like. Find
your local SG store to see, feel, demo, and ask questions.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old July 11th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

On Jul 9, 4:54 am, "glassman" wrote:

There are no rules in art. You are allowed to do whatever you like. Find
your local SG store to see, feel, demo, and ask questions.

--
JK Sinrodwww.SinrodStudios.comwww.MyConeyIslandMemori es.com

and support them. Mail order companies have you down as a number and
not a person.

Old July 12th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Chemo the Clown wrote about your local SG sto

....and support them. Mail order companies have you down as a number
and not a person.

******************
I plan on it. I'm from Bloomington, Indiana. I've been over to visit
the nearest SG store over in neighboring Bloomfield, but didn't catch
them open before I went on vacation. One thing I won't do is pay
three times the price for glass for what I can buy it online for.

Michael

Old July 12th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
charlie

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
Chemo the Clown wrote about your local SG sto

...and support them. Mail order companies have you down as a number
and not a person.

******************
I plan on it. I'm from Bloomington, Indiana. I've been over to visit
the nearest SG store over in neighboring Bloomfield, but didn't catch
them open before I went on vacation. One thing I won't do is pay
three times the price for glass for what I can buy it online for.

Michael

take a trip over to kokomo to the glass factory. they sell lots of glass
that isn't available at stores.

Old July 12th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Michael[_2_]

Charlie wrote:

take a trip over to kokomo to the glass factory. they sell lots of
glass that isn't available at stores.

**************
Well, I'll be darned. So Kokomo Glass is from Kokomo, Indiana? I
wondered about that but figured surely not.

I will for sure make a trip up there. Thank you for the suggestions,
Charlie.

Michael

Quilting on Styrofoam PinkLady Quilting 11 March 9th 07 03:28 PM
Tiffany Lamp [email protected] Glass 3 January 26th 06 03:02 AM
Tiffany" style Art Glass Lighting and Home Accessories [email protected] Glass 1 December 1st 05 04:12 AM
styrofoam Allan Adler General Crafting 2 August 28th 05 08:35 AM
FA: 7 lots scrap stained glass strips/ and cheap packing styrofoam boxes Howard Marketplace 0 September 22nd 03 04:49 PM