stupid question number 2

Old December 12th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Madelaine

Default stupid question number 2

In two-color work, when you span more than 3 stiches, the pattern
recommends "weaving the yarn in" so there aren't big loops on the back.
How does one do this? The final product is to be felted (the coasters
I posted before). I am enjoying the two color work.
Madelaine
Old December 12th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:31:22 -0500, Madelaine wrote:

In two-color work, when you span more than 3 stiches, the pattern
recommends "weaving the yarn in" so there aren't big loops on the back.
How does one do this? The final product is to be felted (the coasters
I posted before). I am enjoying the two color work.
Madelaine

Most knitters would tell you that "weaving in" is unnecessary unless
you're carrying the yarn for many stitches - 6 or more, usually. If
you're going to full the FO I wouldn't worry about it at all!
Old December 12th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Basically, you're doing intarsia? If you want to carry unused yarn to
be used further down the row, and you have a span of more than 3
stitches, you wrap the unused yarn around the yarn you are using, every
3 stitches or so, to avoid a hanging loop. It's kind of like a yarn
over, only you wrap the unused thread over the yarn you're working with
instead of the needle.

Hesirsa

Old December 12th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Madelaine

Madelaine wrote:
In two-color work, when you span more than 3 stiches, the pattern
recommends "weaving the yarn in" so there aren't big loops on the back.
How does one do this? The final product is to be felted (the coasters
I posted before). I am enjoying the two color work.
Madelaine

yes, this is what I'm doing:
http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/it...ojects_display
Since you knit more than one coaster at a time, it does seem wise to do
the wrapping thing. You cut them apart after you felt them, so the
longest areas of carryover would be cut through, so it depends on how
well they felt whether that would show. I'm thinking of making the
coaster 2 thick, sewing them back to back, so the carried over yarn
doesn't show. I used the yarn they recommended, and it will be a very
cheap project.
Madelaine
Old December 12th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Madelaine wrote:
In two-color work, when you span more than 3 stiches, the pattern
recommends "weaving the yarn in" so there aren't big loops on the back.
How does one do this? The final product is to be felted (the coasters
I posted before). I am enjoying the two color work.
Madelaine

yes, this is what I'm doing:
http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/it...ojects_display
Since you knit more than one coaster at a time, it does seem wise to do
the wrapping thing. You cut them apart after you felt them, so the
longest areas of carryover would be cut through, so it depends on how
well they felt whether that would show. I'm thinking of making the
coaster 2 thick, sewing them back to back, so the carried over yarn
doesn't show. I used the yarn they recommended, and it will be a very
cheap project.

Very nice coasters! I agree with your idea of making them double. Will
you sew the sides together before felting? I'd like to see your
finished result.

Higs,
Katherine

Old December 12th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article . com,
Katherine wrote:
Madelaine wrote:

Madelaine wrote:
In two-color work, when you span more than 3 stiches, the pattern
recommends "weaving the yarn in" so there aren't big loops on the back.
How does one do this? The final product is to be felted (the coasters
I posted before). I am enjoying the two color work.

snip
yes, this is what I'm doing:
http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/it...ojects_display
Since you knit more than one coaster at a time, it does seem wise to do
the wrapping thing. You cut them apart after you felt them, so the
longest areas of carryover would be cut through, so it depends on how
well they felt whether that would show. I'm thinking of making the
coaster 2 thick, sewing them back to back, so the carried over yarn
doesn't show. I used the yarn they recommended, and it will be a very
cheap project.

Very nice coasters! I agree with your idea of making them double. Will
you sew the sides together before felting? I'd like to see your
finished result.

If you're going to sew them together back to back, there is no need to
wrap the stitches at all, because any potential hanging loop will be
kept in place by the second layer. Felting should keep the strands
in place anyway. All you have to do is keep them loose enough so
that the piece doesn't pucker.

=Tamar
Old December 13th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Madelaine

Katherine wrote:

Madelaine wrote:
[...]

I hadn't thought of doing that, but that makes a lot of sense. I think
I will, I just have to finish them!
Madelaine

Is this a stupid question, or what? Tina Quilting 12 February 7th 05 06:07 AM
Stupid question. T Flynn Quilting 6 November 30th 04 01:08 PM
Stupid bead question JoAnn Paules Beads 12 August 27th 04 05:32 AM
This might be a stupid question Terbear Quilting 24 May 6th 04 01:33 PM
stupid crochet question.... Christine Yarn 16 February 17th 04 06:56 PM