landscape quilts

Old December 10th 05, 06:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default landscape quilts

Hi all,

Well we had a lovely day at the beach today (I know, in December!) and my
little boy is just entranced with the seaside and all things to do with the
beach. I'd really love to do a quilt/wall hanging for his room with the
beach, sea, lighthouse, boats etc but haven't a clue where to start.

I'm assuming you use a plain base fabric and then sew (applique?) the
fabrics on top to make the picture? Are there any websites or books that
you could recommend?

morag

Old December 10th 05, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

thats one way to do it, Morag.
another way is to piece the background coloured suitably and applique stuff
on top of that.
i saw one done in diamonds, strip pieced, very clever it was and so
effective as a background.
cant for the life of me recall who the quilter was tho.
iirc she was on Simply Quilts show, could check their website and slowly
read thru the list and check any that might be the one til you find it. a
long process but a fun one.
as well as various other ways to go about it.
not that i've ever made a landscape but it is on my to-do list.
cheers,
jeanne
the beach in Dec here is the norm, lol, come on down
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Morag in Oxford" wrote...

Old December 10th 05, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

This may give you some ideas
http://www.quiltzine.com/printblocks36.html

HTH
Dee in Oz

Old December 10th 05, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

There is a whole series of articles in British Patchwork and Quilting
magazine Morag, on just exactly what you describe. I assume (hope?!)
you wouldn't need them before Christmas? If not, then I will happily
look them out for you and send them along to you. If you would like to
see the magazines as a whole, I'll send the whole lot; otherwise I can
just cut out the articles and the patterns involved? You probably don't
get the magazine regularly, or you would have seen the little quilt.

Just let me know what you would like me to do.
..
In message , Morag in
Oxford writes
Hi all,

Well we had a lovely day at the beach today (I know, in December!) and my
little boy is just entranced with the seaside and all things to do with the
beach. I'd really love to do a quilt/wall hanging for his room with the
beach, sea, lighthouse, boats etc but haven't a clue where to start.

I'm assuming you use a plain base fabric and then sew (applique?) the
fabrics on top to make the picture? Are there any websites or books that
you could recommend?

morag

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 10th 05, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I do buy B P&Q from time to time and hubby is buying me a subscription for
Christmas. I am not planning on doing anything this side of New Year except
thinking about it!
Morag

.

Old December 10th 05, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You could also piece it if you wish. See http://www.englanddesign.com/
There is a tutorial and you can order her book if you want more
instructions. I ordered her book and a pattern with fabric kit. I haven't
done the kit yet, but I've read the book. Good instructions (IMHO) and in
my experience very fast, friendly service. NAYY.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old December 10th 05, 10:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Morag in Oxford" wrote:
Well we had a lovely day at the beach today (I know, in December!) and my
little boy is just entranced with the seaside and all things to do with
the beach. I'd really love to do a quilt/wall hanging for his room with
the beach, sea, lighthouse, boats etc but haven't a clue where to start.
I'm assuming you use a plain base fabric and then sew (applique?) the
fabrics on top to make the picture?

Or you can use a bargello design as a base. We've done several that
way, e.g. the main ones at http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/Quilts/ - but
the colours are much deeper and more saturated in reality.

We'll be in Oxford over Xmas/New Year - house-swap with a narrowboat.
Bringing a quilt down as an Xmas present for the boatowner.

Old December 10th 05, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

we'll be swapping then! I'm in Scotland for Christmas. I'm Edinburgh born
and bred, and my Dad taught at the high school in Newtongrange. Isn't it a
small world :-)
morag

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
"Morag in Oxford" wrote:
Well we had a lovely day at the beach today (I know, in December!) and my
little boy is just entranced with the seaside and all things to do with
the beach. I'd really love to do a quilt/wall hanging for his room with
the beach, sea, lighthouse, boats etc but haven't a clue where to start.
I'm assuming you use a plain base fabric and then sew (applique?) the
fabrics on top to make the picture?

Or you can use a bargello design as a base. We've done several that
way, e.g. the main ones at http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/Quilts/ - but
the colours are much deeper and more saturated in reality.

We'll be in Oxford over Xmas/New Year - house-swap with a narrowboat.
Bringing a quilt down as an Xmas present for the boatowner.

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

Old December 10th 05, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ah! So, shall I gather them for you after Christmas and send them
along? I'll cut them out, if you are familiar with the magazine. Would
that be OK?
..
In message , Morag in
Oxford writes

Old December 10th 05, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"Morag in Oxford" wrote:

Hi all,

Well we had a lovely day at the beach today (I know, in December!) and my
little boy is just entranced with the seaside and all things to do with the
beach. I'd really love to do a quilt/wall hanging for his room with the
beach, sea, lighthouse, boats etc but haven't a clue where to start.

I'm assuming you use a plain base fabric and then sew (applique?) the
fabrics on top to make the picture? Are there any websites or books that
you could recommend?

morag

Morag, I did a landscape quilt last summer (about half-way down the page
at http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1/applique.html -- my Cabo San
Lucas quilt). It was from a class taught by Pam Holland. We used a
photo, blown up to the size we wanted. Then you overlay plastic and
trace the basic shapes of the landscape. Use the plastic overlay to make
fusible-web patterns and then fusing those to the right fabrics to
create the "look" you want. We zigzagged (tiny zigzag, smoke-colored
invisible thread) the pieces onto a base of muslin, then added details
and shading with Tsukineko Fabrico pens. It wasn't as difficult as I'd
thought it would be.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Quilts, quilts, and more quilts! bdiane Quilting 1 January 26th 05 08:10 PM
Journal quilts Marjorie Needlework 3 January 26th 05 01:28 AM
UPDATE: Quilts for Tsunami Orphans Kathy (in Alaska) Quilting 0 January 3rd 05 07:02 PM
Pictures of ABC quilts Brian Christiansen Quilting 1 February 7th 04 03:31 AM
I got to see some old quilts Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 5 September 30th 03 05:29 PM