cloth baby ball pattern

Old October 19th 05, 03:25 AM

Default cloth baby ball pattern

I am looking for a pattern and instructions to make a cloth ball called
an appalachain folk ball. It looks like a round honeycomb. The ball's
pattern pieces are a pie wedge and a football.
Thanks

Old October 19th 05, 04:59 PM
Doreen

Paris wrote:
On 18 Oct 2005 19:25:33 -0700, wrote:

I am looking for a pattern and instructions to make a cloth ball called
an appalachain folk ball. It looks like a round honeycomb. The ball's
pattern pieces are a pie wedge and a football.
Thanks

Is this the one you are looking for? Paris

http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa061099.htm

Looks right to me. I'm glad you found it, because my pattern didn't
turn up this morning. (I did find something else I've been searching
for, however, and a big trash bag of 'stuff' to get rid of, so the time
was well spent!)

Doreen in Alabama
Old October 20th 05, 04:52 AM
Doreen

Doreen wrote:
Paris wrote:

Is this the one you are looking for? Paris

http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa061099.htm

Looks right to me. I'm glad you found it, because my pattern didn't
turn up this morning. (I did find something else I've been searching
for, however, and a big trash bag of 'stuff' to get rid of, so the time
was well spent!)

Doreen in Alabama

Actually, now that I clicked the link to the pattern page, this isn't
exactly the same as the pattern I had, because there is no wedge shaped
piece. In the photo, it looks like the same ball as mine, though:

http://pair.com/threets/clothballs.jpg

I have a vague recollection of lending my pattern to someone.

Doreen in Alabama

Old October 20th 05, 03:55 PM
joy beeson

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:38:14 -0400, Paris
wrote:

http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa061099.htm

doesn't fit the OP's description, but it's a nifty pattern
nonetheless.

I got a little cross-eyed trying to see how it's made --
misled by the twelve components, I was trying to see a
dodecahedron. But upon reading the assembly instructions
the second time, it's plain that the three-cornered
footballs mark the *edges* of an octahedron.

The pattern makes it plain that the exact shape of the
little footballs isn't important. One could sketch out any
pointy oval that's longer than the width of a baby's hand,
and narrower than the length of its palm, and the pattern
would work.

And one could sew them along the edges of other polyhedrons,
but the octahedron has the fewest edges of those that come
out reasonably ball-shaped. A tetrahedron could be made
with only four footballs, but when you throw it, it's not
going to roll.

In addition to being too cornery, a cube would be too
hollow, and with only three footballs at a corner, it would
be loppy. (You are welcome to make these up and prove me
wrong!) And the cube also requires twelve footballs, so you
might as well make the octahedron.

The dodecahedron and the icosahedron would take thirty
footballs, and would be obviously a network of edges. But
with five footballs meeting at each corner, and only three
to a loop (opposed to five to a loop and three meeting at a
corner for the dodecahedron), the icosahedron might be
reasonably firm.

Which exhausts the platonic solids, and I'm sure the
semi-regular polyhedrons would be even less suitable.
(Besides, I can't remember what they are, except that one
group had regular faces, the other had regular corners, and
one of the groups was named after Archimedes.)

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbeeson59...HSEW/ROUGH.HTM

Old October 21st 05, 07:02 AM
Scare Crowe

Sorry, you lost me on that first dodecahedron.

Baby pattern Christine and Jill Yarn 13 January 22nd 04 03:27 AM
Eros 1 Ball Scarf Pattern from Plymouth Yarn Website Gina Beirne Yarn 11 December 7th 03 06:39 PM
New FREE downloadable zipped PMP 4 file pattern: "Peekabooh baby sampler". Misty Needlework 0 November 13th 03 12:52 PM
ISO free baby pattern Shawna23 Needlework 4 November 7th 03 06:45 PM
baby boots size Anna MCM Yarn 9 September 17th 03 03:33 PM