Is crystal glass safe?

Old November 7th 03, 01:08 AM
tsj

Default Is crystal glass safe?

I like crystal glass cups. Can I drink punch with them? Is the lead harmful.
Any links? Thanks.

Wei

Old November 7th 03, 12:41 PM
Lauri Levanto

Depends how much punch you drink.
It kills faster than leaded chrystal.
The latter is lethal, too, though the effect goes usually
unnoticed the first couple of hundread years.

When the inner surface of your glass turns matt, it tells that lead has been
dissolved.

-lauri

Old November 7th 03, 02:49 PM
Terry Harper

"tsj" wrote in message ...
I like crystal glass cups. Can I drink punch with them? Is the lead

harmful.
Any links? Thanks.

If you drink from it you have little to worry about. If you keep alcoholic
fluids in crystal vessels for long periods, then there can be some migration
of lead into the fluid. In other words, use decanters for immediate use and
not for long-term storage.

That's assuming that the crystal is lead crystal and not something just
calling itself "crystal".
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk/

Old November 8th 03, 06:18 AM
jk

"Terry Harper" wrote in message
"tsj" wrote in message

I like crystal glass cups. Can I drink punch with them? Is the lead

harmful.
Any links? Thanks.

If you drink from it you have little to worry about. If you keep alcoholic
fluids in crystal vessels for long periods, then there can be some

migration
of lead into the fluid. In other words, use decanters for immediate use

and
not for long-term storage.

That's assuming that the crystal is lead crystal and not something just
calling itself "crystal".
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk/

I have some 32 year old scotch sealed in lead crystal decanters for over
20 years. You saying I shouldn't drink it, if and when it ever gets opened?

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass

Old November 8th 03, 09:57 AM
Terry Harper

"jk" wrote in message
et...

I have some 32 year old scotch sealed in lead crystal decanters for

over
20 years. You saying I shouldn't drink it, if and when it ever gets

opened?

It might be worth your while having the lead content of the scotch checked,
should you ever open it. That sounds like it's for buying and selling, not
for drinking. Once it's bottled, it doesn't improve any more.

Old November 8th 03, 12:30 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 06:18:38 GMT, "jk" wrote:

I have some 32 year old scotch sealed in lead crystal decanters for over
20 years. You saying I shouldn't drink it, if and when it ever gets opened?

It probably wasn't worth drinking in the first place. That's a daft
thing to do to Scotch, so it sounds more like a gimmick than anything
else.

What is it anyway ?
Old November 8th 03, 02:36 PM
jk

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 06:18:38 GMT, "jk" wrote:

I have some 32 year old scotch sealed in lead crystal decanters for

over
20 years. You saying I shouldn't drink it, if and when it ever gets

opened?

It probably wasn't worth drinking in the first place. That's a daft
thing to do to Scotch, so it sounds more like a gimmick than anything
else.

What is it anyway ?
--

Single malt Thistledown 32 year old scotch, sealed in a Bacarrat decanter.

Old November 8th 03, 02:47 PM
Javahut

Single malt Thistledown 32 year old scotch, sealed in a Bacarrat
decanter.

Oo Oo Let me redo that last quote, I may have been a little hasty.
I'll even save your life with the lead.
You know the early signs of lead poisoning is insanity and with me they
wouldn't know the difference!!

Old November 8th 03, 05:51 PM
Terry Harper

"jk" wrote in message
. net...

Single malt Thistledown 32 year old scotch, sealed in a Bacarrat

decanter.

That reminds me of a comment made by the boss of a crystal factory, that if
anyone was prepared to buy one of his decanters at full price, he would
happily fill it with the finest scotch.

You paid for the decanter. The scotch came free.

Old November 9th 03, 02:08 AM
Mike Firth

The only tests I know of for alcohol in lead crystal were actually done at
Alfred University to test whether the various methods of treating the edge
produced different results. Lead was taken up when wine was stored in
glasses for 30 days. Storing mildly acidic alcoholic wine in lead crystal
was not recommended.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website