Quilt Kit -- Is That Cheating?

Old January 3rd 09, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default Quilt Kit -- Is That Cheating?

I just finished a kit purchased from an online quilt shop, that
included a Fons and Porter pattern. It was for a
child's Hungry caterpillar quilt.

I decided to hand-quilt it, since it was so small; I took a lot of
trouble to be extra careful since it is intended
for my first grandchild (who doesn't exist yet -- I am calling it my
"faith quilt"). I don't mean to pat myself
on the back or anything, but I was real pleased with the way it turned
out.

I wondered if it's okay to enter this quilt in a Quilt Show? I could
make a small card and give attribute to the Shop Owners who cut the
fabric, and F&P for the pattern, no? Really the only thing I can
claim as my own is the
hand quilting.

It's just the cutest thing you ever saw, especially if you remember
the Hungry Caterpillar book. My daughter
was raised on that book. I bought the book on Amazon, put it with the
quilt, and just tucked it away for now.

Sherry
Old January 3rd 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

As long as you give proper credit, it shouldn't be a problem.
Roberta in D, wondering if it will speed up the grandchild process if
I make some baby quilts

Old January 3rd 09, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

You've got it exactly right, Sherry. Do add the information about the
pattern and such. I think it's rather pretentious to enter a quilt as if it
were entirely original. In fact, I doubt that there is a quilt that wasn't
inspired by many things. Usually I fall in love with at least one quilt show
entry and want to know all the details. When someone sees your creation,
I'm betting there's another granny (or hopeful) that will just have to make
a Hungry too. Polly

"Sherry" wroteI just finished a kit purchased from an online quilt shop,

Old January 3rd 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

If the quilt show rules don't ban kit quilts, it should be okay. Please
do give credit to the kitters and pattern makers.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old January 3rd 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh Roberta! I know you've been longing - but they've only just got
married g. You rascal!
..
In message , Roberta
writes
As long as you give proper credit, it shouldn't be a problem.
Roberta in D, wondering if it will speed up the grandchild process if
I make some baby quilts

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 3rd 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Read the show rules. Some allow kit quilts, others do not.

If the show allows kits, feel free to enter it, but also give credit where
it's due. It can be as simple as "the top is a kit from XYZ quilts based on
a Fons and Porter pattern."

HTH!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathyapplebaum/

Old January 3rd 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Sherry, you have far more faith in your daughter than I do in my sons.
I could make a mountain of quilts waiting for those two to present me
with grandchildren. BG Nonetheless, I want to see photos, including
details of your hand quilting. If I'm properly motivated, I just might
make one for my "faith chest" (stopped being "hope" many years ago)
too. Besides, my son was also raised on "Hungry Caterpillar" and it
might work some magic.

Sunny
Old January 3rd 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

I've never entered a quilt so my two cents probably isn't even worth
that. But it doesn't matter that you bought a kit. You put it together.
It is your stitches and your quilting that holds it together. I would
think the show would have rules about this, ask them. But to me it's not
different then if you picked a pattern from a book and made it.
Take Care
Joanna
alberta

Old January 3rd 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I am not holding my breath for grand kids. Last month I mentioned
giving one of the interloping stray cats hanging around to ds. His
response was he can barely take care of himself and he'd kill a plant
if I gave it to him. He works a mess of overtime and is pretty much
absorbed with work. My needing grand kids doesn't override that the
kids are not ready yet. DD isn't giving much hope at this point
either. It could be a long wait though. They are 24 and almost 26 yo here.
I feel your pain sunny.
I am enjoying the grand nieces and nephews as much as I can. Darned
there are a mess of those sweeties!
Taria

Old January 3rd 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

WE are gonna have to get our 4 kids together.......

Butterfly (DS 32, DD 30...neither have a 'steady')

Sunny wrote:
Sherry, you have far more faith in your daughter than I do in my sons.
I could make a mountain of quilts waiting for those two to present me
with grandchildren. BG Nonetheless, I want to see photos, including
details of your hand quilting. If I'm properly motivated, I just might
make one for my "faith chest" (stopped being "hope" many years ago)
too. Besides, my son was also raised on "Hungry Caterpillar" and it
might work some magic.

Sunny

Any one wanna chat? Quilt Show, Quilt Police Free room Bronnie Quilting 2 March 31st 09 06:22 PM
Cheating anne Needlework 10 September 14th 08 12:38 AM
Anyone wanna chat -- Quilt Show room Quilt Police free Bronnie Quilting 0 March 26th 08 05:31 AM
Cheating the binding redpenner Quilting 37 September 26th 06 12:51 AM
Cheating on my beads! Jan G Beads 17 June 17th 04 02:29 PM