Microstitch quilt tak basting gun???

Old April 14th 09, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Default Microstitch quilt tak basting gun???

Anyone have one of these? I bought one but never thought of how far I
should be spacing the taks. So I just started firing away. I'm guess I
used about 1200 taks and then had to fill in a few spaces with pins. I
know even when I used just pins I could use about 400 in a baby panel
quilt. I think I was doing about every 3 inches. Anything less and I'm
scared there will be puckering in the back. Any thoughts?
Thanx
Joanna
Old April 14th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

The 'rule' I have always heard was to space the pins/tacks as far apart as
the width of your hand at the palm. (I have well over 1500 safety pins for
basting and I never have counted how many I used on any quilt.) It's worked
well for me, but then I use Warm & Natural (or White) and both cling very
nicely to the quilt top and backing. I'd think with a real thick batting
you'd need the basting closer as the batting could shift as you compress the
layers while quilting. HTH

Leslie & The Furbabies- almost all unpacked in MO.

Old April 14th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

I don't usually bother with spaced pinning or tacking all over a quilt
sandwich - the block/quilt design decides where the pins/tacks will be
placed. If I am using my tacking gun, I bring the needle out again to
the top of the quilt before shooting the tack which makes it more
stable plus it is easier/tidier to remove the tacks when both ends are
visible on top. jennellh

Old April 14th 09, 07:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Tiny note, Jenn: you can't do that with the microtach, the tacks are
extremely small/short.
I use mine a lot (I also have the grille to fire into when I am doing
something large - not often!).
I usually put mine about four inches I suppose? but I place them
somewhere unobtrusive, like a seam, so my spacing is only a guide not a
rule. The smaller needle is kinder to the fabric than the original tack
guns, but closely woven fabrics like batiks do show a tiny hole after
tack removal, until they are moistened.
..
In message
,
jennellh writes
snip

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

New Quilt and basting frame (long) John Quilting 10 August 15th 07 02:18 PM
Quilt basting, wasps, and flea collars Debra Quilting 16 April 25th 07 07:30 PM
basting a big quilt Darlene Quilting 25 June 13th 06 03:35 PM
Basting Gun Sally Swindells Quilting 4 November 27th 05 08:15 PM
basting the quilt marbles_2 Quilting 24 August 10th 05 08:22 PM