Magic Christmas Stocking

Old December 12th 05, 05:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Magic Christmas Stocking

Thanks to whoever originally posted the Magic Christmas Stocking
instructions. It works great, except that I made the leg of my sock a
little narrow & it was hard to turn, but it sure makes a nice looking
stocking. It's too late tonight to think about the cuff - I'll do that
tomorrow. Couldn't have come at a better time. We're exchanging Christmas
stockings at our guild Christmas party/luncheon on Wednesday. I'm glad now
I waited until almost the last minute to make it!

I diagonally strip pieced my stocking with several different Christmas
fabrics, stitched in each strip with a different decorative stitch using
gold Sulky thread.

Guess I should do some kind of decorative stitching on the cuff, too.
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Old December 12th 05, 06:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Here it is in two versions - both the same, but explained a little
differently. I think it's a really neat way to make a nice stocking.
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Really all you do to make it work is how you stack your layers. You first
put down your outside fabric right sides together, then a single layer of
batting , then your lining fabric right sides together, then a single layer
of batting. pin all layers together and rotary cut out your stocking and
then sew a 1/4" around leaving top open. Reach inside between the lining
fabric and turn inside out. Then reach inside again between the outside
fabric and turn inside out. The stocking is done except for the cuff. Take a
piece of fabric 8" wide and the width of the top of your stocking plus 1/2".
Fold fabric in half so it is now 4" wide and sew a 1/4" seam to make a loop/
Put the loop fabric inside your stocking match up the seam on the cuff you
just made to the back seam of the stocking and put in you hanger there and
sew around the raw edge 1/4" seam. turn cuff to the outside and your done.

Does that make more sense then her directions?

She in PA

MAGIC STOCKING DIRECTIONS
In order to create this magic stocking, you MUST layer the fabrics
correctly. Take the time to double check that you have layered your
fabrics as listed below.

1. Lay down 2 pieces of stocking fabric RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER (RS
together) on the cutting table. (Remember to make adjustments, if you
are worried about nap or print all going in the same direction. This
means you might have to cut your fabric at the fold and turn one of the
pieces around so that the nap or print will all be running in the same
direction before you cut.)

2. On top of the stocking fabric layers, place 1 single layer of thin
batting.

3. On top of the batting layer, place 2 pieces of Lining Fabric (RS
together).

4. The last layer is 1 single layer of thin batting on top of the lining
layer. Cut your stocking pattern out with a rotary cutter, through all
6 layers. Pin, if necessary through all 6 layers and serge or sew from
the top edge of the stocking down around the heel and toe and up to the
top of the other side of the stocking.

Cut a band of the same or contrasting material, folded along one long
edge, the width and length for your stocking top.

Now for the "Magic" part!

1. Reach in between the two lining layers and pull the stocking right
side out.

2. Then reach in between the two stocking fabric layers and pull right
side out.

You now should see a beautiful stocking, lined, with raw edges at the
top!

3. Cut "Cuff" fabric of your choice folded RIGHT SIDE OUT along one long
edge and batted or not. (Now is when you would embroider a design/name/
on ½ of the cuff, with the bottom edge of the name toward the folded
edge. Make sure the name is embroidered on the half of the cuff band
that will be in the direction you want the stocking to face.)

4. Place a "Hanging Hook" at the top heel edge of your stocking, with
the loop part facing the heel of the stocking. Pin the loop so that the
loop part will not get caught in the seam by accident, just the raw
edges of the hanger. You can use cording, ribbon or make a matching
loop.

5. Place the raw edges of cuff (RS OUT) to inside of stocking so that
the "Name/embroidered" part of the cuff is against the lining inside and
serge/sew these top edges together.

6. Flip the cuff from the inside to the outside and admire your "Magic
Stocking."

Hope you enjoy it.

She in PA

Old December 12th 05, 08:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Not sure if this is the same pattern, but it's from a pattern that someone
posted on here a few weeks ago. My kids are delighted with their stockings
and Rory is asking every day when Santa is coming!
Morag
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cra...d5.jpg&.src=ph

Old December 12th 05, 12:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

thanks!

Kate in MI

Magic Christmas Stocking to make She in PA Quilting 11 December 13th 05 08:06 AM
Knitted Christmas Stocking Craftkitten (Darlene) Yarn 5 December 9th 04 03:34 PM
Christmas stocking BDS2pds Needlework 9 October 10th 04 01:53 AM
OT - A Dog's Christmas Promises LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 5 December 24th 03 04:14 AM
Christmas stocking needlepoint miss grunge Needlework 0 August 19th 03 03:57 AM