Older Singer repair in Philadelphia

Old October 17th 05, 03:32 AM
aeacsharp

Default Older Singer repair in Philadelphia

I have Singer Stylist 534 that just hasn;t been the same for the past 9
months or so. I'm seeking a recommendation for a good repair shop.
Local to Philadelphia is preferred, but I'll send it away if I have to.

I am concerned there is a problem with an overhaul done earlier in thhe
year at one local sew-vac shop in downtown Philadelphia. I took it to
them in January 2005 with what appeared to be timing problems -
repeatedly breaking needles. The machine seemed to have come back from
the overhaul with additional problems -- inability to adjust top
tension, skipped stitches, stitch selector dial not working properly.

And then today, it started smoking slightly after about 30 minutes of
steady sewing. I don't understand how my built-like-a-tank 30 year old
workhorse could have gone downhill so quickly after a clean, lube, and
adjustment.

thanks!

Old November 3rd 05, 07:35 PM

Be a bit of a drive from Philadelphia, but try the Joann's in Deptford
by the mall. The sewing machine repair man there (Rooney I believe
going on memory) is the best in the area. He worked for Singer for at
least 2 decades, has a personal warehouse of parts, and knows the old
machines (and the new ones too) like the back of his hand. He has been
recommended many times. That is how I learned of him. Just make sue to
call to make sure he is there if you trek on down. Hate for it to be a
wasted trip!!

Melissa in NJ

Old November 5th 05, 03:28 PM
aeacsharp

Melissa, thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.
A drive to Deptford isn't so bad--small inconvenience if it means
having my formerly-wonderful machine back in action for another couple
decades.