Load Costs

Old December 2nd 03, 11:41 AM
Darryl Lentz

Default Load Costs

Good morning all,

We are doing a cost analysis but are stumped regarding the cost
(electricity) of firing a kiln. We use studio kilns so we can't check the
meter or check the bill.

Could someone in Central Ontario (Canada) give us a hint as to the cost of
running a bisque and a glaze load? Before you ask... I couldn't tell you
the size of the kiln by volume. Standard size - approximately 4' high job.
Cindy would know but she's in bed ! (LOL)

Thanks for your help,
Darryl & Cindy

Old December 6th 03, 08:22 PM
Slgraber

you electric kiln sounds similar to my cress 28 kiln. i haven't done meter
readings for a number of years, but when i did (1994, 1995) it was running
about $15 foir a bisque fire and $25 for cone 6 glaze.

i know that was a long time ago, in southern california (land of very high
energy costs), but it's a data point for you to begin to understand your costs.

see ya

steve

(ps - my home built 70 cubic foot downdraft natural gas arch kiln runs $40 for
a bisque OR glaze fire).

Subject: Load Costs

Old December 7th 03, 03:58 PM
Monika Schleidt

Slgraber wrote:

you electric kiln sounds similar to my cress 28 kiln. i haven't done meter
readings for a number of years, but when i did (1994, 1995) it was running
about $15 foir a bisque fire and $25 for cone 6 glaze.

i know that was a long time ago, in southern california (land of very high
energy costs), but it's a data point for you to begin to understand your costs.

I have a kiln with a volume of about 3 1/2 cubic feet (inside), and the controller
has a very clever button, which tells me kwh after each firing. Normally it uses
about 27 kwh for a bisque fire and about 31 kwh for a glaze fire, more or less
depending on how full the kiln is.

Does that help?
Monika
--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik

Old December 8th 03, 11:34 AM
Darryl Lentz

Yes Monika, it sure does! Thanks very much. I'll check the controller
manual to see if that option is avaialble.

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Darryl

"Monika Schleidt" wrote in message

I have a kiln with a volume of about 3 1/2 cubic feet (inside), and the

controller
has a very clever button, which tells me kwh after each firing. Normally

it uses
about 27 kwh for a bisque fire and about 31 kwh for a glaze fire, more or

less
depending on how full the kiln is.

Does that help?
Monika
--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik

WOW! Get A Load Of These MELONS!!! [email protected] Carving 3 February 8th 05 12:48 AM
Costs to start? Susan General Crafting 4 March 1st 04 12:04 PM
AD: Just posted the Mother Load of Paua Shell Shapes on Ebay! Harry Beads 18 December 24th 03 06:53 AM
cut the costs of redecorating.. here's how modernchef General Crafting 2 December 10th 03 10:31 PM
firing lo fire with a bisque load Marmaj40 Pottery 2 September 11th 03 07:50 AM