Holy Carp! Kimono Madness!

Old January 4th 04, 03:57 AM
Beadbimbo

Default Holy Carp! Kimono Madness!

Awwwwwwww! What a good hubby!

I went back to look at some of your pics again, Kathy, especially the
kimono! It is so pretty! I really like the bad quality garnet necklace
too! Talk about making lemonade! You turned out a lovely piece with those!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
The latest issue of Bead and Button arrived today, and I swear, someone

put
the idea of beaded Kimono in the water or something. I was casually

browsing
through the issue and the first Kimono surprised me: It was in the "show

off
the reader's work" area, and was simply a finished version of the small
beaded kimono whose pattern is available at bead-paterns.com (Note: Kath
does not feel threatened in any way by that kimono)

But later in the issue: Ay Carumba! There is a "Chinese Robe" (with
accompanying pattern) made of delicas that's incredible. The form of the
robe isn't so spectacular, but the design has so many elements that it's
amazing. The artist made a silk underdress to set between the dislay

stand
and the beaded piece, and it adds a lot to the final presentation.

Then, the same artist has her version of a Kimono, and Oh Boy! Again, the
form isn't totally spectacular (although it's very nice), but the

intracacy
of the design is spectacular. I was feeling rather untalented while

holding
the magazine photo next to my own crystal Kimono, which is on display in

the
living room.

But hurrah for Bob. He came in and saw me comparing my piece with the
magazine, and snatched the magazine away from me. He studied the photo in
the magazine and compared it to my piece. Then he turned to me and said,

"I
know you're feeling intimidated. You shouldn't be. This person obviously
worked from a pattern, while you did the whole thing in your head. The
kimono aren't culturally accurate either, and yours are,. They did the

whole
thing in one stitch and a bunch of colors, while you used a harder stitch

and
let the form tell the story. I think it takes more talent to make a

Kimono
like yours than a "fantasy Kimono" that could never really exist.

What a good guy! I guess he really has been paying attention while I

work.
He noticed that I used the right colors for a married woman, used a sash,

and
fashioned my kimono as an actual garment. He also challenged me to make

the
robe whose pattern came in the magazine - assuming I would agree to follow
the theme at all. He claims that I'd finish it in no time (duh, it's

simple
peyote), and would improve the design to make it historically correct.

Made
me feel very, very nice. Using that many Delicas would probably cause me

commit any number of crimes, though.

Oh yes: My crystal Kimono is photographed in my picturetrail account:
http://www.picturetrail.com/kathynv in the "Beadwork Collage" album.

It doesn't have the pizazz of the magazine kimono, but I am quite proud of

it
anyway.

Kathy N-V

Old January 4th 04, 05:01 PM
Sjpolyclay

I like Bob more and more all the time. Guys who pay attention are very special.
And he's absolutely right about this kimono issue!!!!!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old January 5th 04, 03:45 AM
starlia

I agree with your DH. Your kimono rocks and I am so in awe of your talent.
I'm bowing down in your honor.

Starlia

Old January 5th 04, 03:41 PM
Sjpolyclay

I barely managed to brush my teeth.

teef? you fink we haf teef left??

(Maybe she's looking for a set to go with Sofie's, better watch out....)

Old January 5th 04, 04:36 PM
BeckiBead

I love Bob.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old January 5th 04, 09:20 PM
Dr. Sooz

I agree with your DH. Your kimono rocks and I am so in awe of your talent.
I'm bowing down in your honor.

Oh, please don't. The only reason I can do these things is because I have
pretty much unlimited time to bead.

Sod o I! You don't see ME turning out killer kimono!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old January 5th 04, 11:21 PM
Linda2

"Kathy N-V" wrote:

Me, too. We've been married 17 years, and known each other for 30 years.
He's been my friend forever, and it's made all the difference.

Kathy N-V

Does he have a brother? A single one?

:Linda2

Crystal Kimono details Kaytee Beads 12 November 13th 03 04:47 AM
beaded kimono was: D'oh moments Linda D. Beads 1 October 27th 03 04:55 PM