sewing machine prices?

Old November 12th 03, 10:15 PM
CW

Any retail outlet is free to post prices if they care to. The manufacturers
are also free to not sell to those dealers. This is the deal (one more
time). The manufacturer tells the dealer, you can sell my product as long as
you do not advertise prices. If the dealer than goes ahead and advertises
prices, the manufacturer will no longer sell them to him. In other words, he
is out of business (as far as that brand is concerned). The manufacturers
put these restrictions on the dealers to keep people from going to their
local sewing machine dealer , trying out a machine, asking questions and
otherwise taking up that dealers time then going online and buying at the
cheapest price. Local dealers are going to be more expensive that buying on
line, period. They can not compete price wise. Manufacturers are not doing
the local dealers a favor, they are ensuring a quality of service to their
customers. It means a lot to most people that they can go to the store that
they bought the thing from and get service and advice. Try that on line.
Someone on here mentioned that they don't have a dealer close to them. The
manufacturers is not going to degrade there business because a small
percentage of the potential customers live out in the sticks. As far as no
one else doing this, your not looking very hard. Many manufacturers do this
all the time. Sony is a good one. Car companies will not allow their cars to
be advertised for less than a certain amount. When is the last time you
heard a car ad on radio or TV where they said "prices so low we cannot
advertise them"? You probably thought that that was just a line to get you
in there. It isn't (usually).

"Robyn" wrote in message
om...
I guess to me it makes sense that the manufacturers don't post the
prices. This could potentially undercut retailers. What I _don't_
understand is that even the online vendors that have nothing to do
with the manufacturers don't post prices. How is the sewing machine
business any different from the stereo, computer, clothing, or any
other business? In other industries, many vendors don't post prices,
but online e-commerce websites are free to do what they want. This
keeps capitalism alive and well, in my opinion...

Just my $.02!
Robyn

P.S., I'm glad I already decided on my machine so I don't have to keep
hunting for prices :-)

OSPAM (Shstringfellow) wrote in message

The reason they don't allow internet price posting is because it can

drive
local stores out of business .

I don't think that's it at all- the prices could be posted, but they

could not
allow internet sales. I just want to be able to compare prices easily

for
different brands with different features without having to travel

hundreds of
miles to go to different shops. Also, when they have these "sales" you

would
know if you really were getting a deal- as it stands now, they could say

you're
getting 25% off and charge you the regular price- how would you know?
SueS

Old November 12th 03, 10:36 PM
Warrior_13

I would tend to disagree. Out of 50 people I know personally, maybe 2 out of
50 will be as frugal as me and take the time and effort to research, visit
the local dealer, then go find the best price on line. Most people are
impulse shoppers and will buy on the spot, especially if the dealer is a
good salesman. And they will pay retail without batting an eye.
Remember when the internet was young and we were promised lower prices
because the overhead was no longer there? The mfgr websites still sell at
retail, as well as the authorized dealers online. Sure they may give you a
whopping 10% off, but that is nothing, I want 40-60% off of anything retail.
Everything is marked up 500-600%, so even at 40% off they are still making a
handsome profit. And if goods were made to last you wouldn't need to worry
about service. Everything today is made to be disposed of and replaced when
it's broke, they wouldn't stay in business if they made stuff to last! Look
at light bulbs, the original bulbs that Edison created are still burning in
his house, and they can still be made that way. But that won't happen
because the gigantic CEO salaries and stockholder dividends are what really
matters, not the consumer.
Just greed, greed, and more greed!

"Yarn Forward" wrote in message
. ..

CW wrote:
The reason they don't allow internet price posting is because it can

drive
local stores out of business . It is not uncommon for people to go to a
local store to see and try out a machine then go on the internet and

find a
better price. A local store cannot stay in business just as a demo

facility.

But then try to get it serviced on the Internet! Dont expect your local

store
to do it.
Roger.

--
Yarn Forward
Your On Line Yarn Store

Old November 13th 03, 12:03 AM
CW

That's a fact. Some have to find out things like this the hard way. There
are advantages to buying local.

Old November 13th 03, 02:09 AM
Penny S

Warrior_13's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
I would tend to disagree. Out of 50 people I know personally, maybe 2
out of 50 will be as frugal as me and take the time and effort to
research, visit the local dealer, then go find the best price on
line. Most people are impulse shoppers and will buy on the spot,
especially if the dealer is a good salesman. And they will pay retail
without batting an eye. Remember when the internet was young and we
were promised lower prices because the overhead was no longer there?
The mfgr websites still sell at retail, as well as the authorized
dealers online. Sure they may give you a whopping 10% off, but that
is nothing, I want 40-60% off of anything retail. Everything is
marked up 500-600%, so even at 40% off they are still making a
handsome profit.

please give examples ( at least 5) of things that are marked up 500%.
I"d love to see you data to back up your claim.

Penny S

Old November 13th 03, 02:42 AM
CW

I think we have one of two things here (probably both). (1) A troll. (2)
Someone (there are a lot of them) that doesn't have any idea what a
percentage is. They claim to never buy anything unless it is 50 to 60% off.
They (he, she, it) must not own much. Not a lot of places are willing to
loose money on a sale.

Old November 13th 03, 02:56 AM
Warrior_13

Do the math. For example, we know that blank cds can be purchased in bulk
for 15-25 cents each. Why is a recorded disk $15? Who do you think gets the
profit? The vocalist? The songwriter? No, the record company. And you think
that is a fair profit? I don't.
And just because someone doesn't agree with all of you does not condone name
calling or other derogatory remarks about the person. Just say you disagree
but don't resort to such childishness.
And you all need to learn how to spell!

Old November 13th 03, 03:39 AM
CW

Take a few economics classes, kid. Then get out in the world and see how
things work. You have no idea right now.

Old November 13th 03, 04:40 AM

Warrior_13 wrote:
Do the math. For example, we know that blank cds can be purchased in bulk
for 15-25 cents each. Why is a recorded disk $15? Who do you think gets the
profit? The vocalist? The songwriter? No, the record company. And you think
that is a fair profit? I don't.

That has nothing to do with your claim that people selling things mark
things up "500-600%." That is a value-added thing that has nothing to
do with an internet vendor's markup on the goods they sell.
--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old November 13th 03, 05:15 AM
Warrior_13

kid? I happen to be 50 yrs old and I know what I am talking about. If you
think that a sewing machine that retails for $1000 costs the mfgr more than
$100 to produce, you are totally naive.
The economy of the world is based on greed and nothing else. Let's take
diamonds now; they are plentiful, yet controlled by a cartel that ensures
the prices are kept high. To raise the appeal of the item, people think
expensive means the best, or in this case "forever".
Diamonds are as cheap and plentiful as other stones, this is just an
excellent marketing campaign by DeBeers to control the world's supply.
And so it goes with everything else.