How's about we...

Old June 17th 11, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Default How's about we...

have a challenge? I don't think we've done one for ages.

Nothing too onerous, because we all have busy lives, but something we
could chat about to take us out of ourselves. I could sure do with
some of that!

I like the idea of a new technique, or using a new tool (I would like
THAT one, wouldn't I?) or how about getting out and doing that UFO
that looked so beautiful at the show/shop, but we never got A- Round-
Tuit?

We could even have a Retreat. We haven't done one of those for, for,
forever. A week, or even a couple where we concentrate on a project
just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

Whaddya think?

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old June 17th 11, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Great idea! You mean a free-style challenge, or everybody doing the
same sort of thing?
Roberta in D

Old June 17th 11, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 17/06/11 15:54, Sartorresartus wrote:
have a challenge? I don't think we've done one for ages.

Nothing too onerous, because we all have busy lives, but something we
could chat about to take us out of ourselves. I could sure do with
some of that!

I like the idea of a new technique, or using a new tool (I would like
THAT one, wouldn't I?) or how about getting out and doing that UFO
that looked so beautiful at the show/shop, but we never got A- Round-
Tuit?

We could even have a Retreat. We haven't done one of those for, for,
forever. A week, or even a couple where we concentrate on a project
just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

Whaddya think?

They all sound like great ideas (but not all at once :-) )

Maybe a themed retreat?

Lizzy
Old June 17th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen Tucker

I like the idea of a dedicated week or three, maybe where we all declare
what our own challenge is we will be working on. I also like the idea
of a central challenge, which could also be worked on (and talked about,
of course) throughout a certain time frame.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old June 18th 11, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I already have challenges. Survival is one. I understand very well that
there are those who delight in competition and deadlines but I don't do
that. (Maybe I should bring that up when my next Anger Management group
meets as soon as they're released from custody.)
Trying to see the fun of a challenge - it seems to me that a real
challenge would be for everybody to take on a real challenge of something
they've never done.
No. No bungee-jumping nekkid.
I mean: trapunto? Celtic? Miniature? or ! how about doing Big
blocks with a print so large your eyes cross just considering it?
If you always are drawn to subtle, try lime.
Like lime? take on taupe and gray.
Love 30's repros? Do something wild with Kaffe. ( Now THAT's wild.)
We'll call it the Real Challenge. Do something you've never dared to
do. I double-dog-dare you. As a comfort, I keep some cash at an
undisclosed location on the ready to bail out any of you who need it. Polly

Old June 18th 11, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That is funny. You are a good woman Polly. I'm not so hot at competitions
either. When it comes to teams I am usually the secret weapon for the
opposing
side. : ( The sewing group I sew with did a small challenge for their
charity
that consisted of using a panel. Now that was easy. I did a fun panel they
gave me and it turned out really cute. Some child will get a nice quilt and
it
was simple. They ended up with 26 small quilts. For the group that part
was a success. Maybe you're challenge with NIN as recipients could
get us stirred up here?
Taria

Old June 18th 11, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

LOL, Taria and thanks for it! being the secret weapon for the opposing
side? WaHAha. I love it! Polly

Old June 18th 11, 08:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

No, I don't do deadlines, either. I can't commit to 'finish' anything
in a time, but it would be good for me to say that I would try to
commit to some quilting me-time every day for a week, say.

This was not a competition suggestion so much as a Gathering call. A
reason to visit with friends and a virtual 'pull up a chair and sit
down for a while.' Nothing heavy, I would definitiely have to pass on
that one, nor a swap of any sort: far too much like hard work.

Perhaps I will moot the first week in July as RCTQ Retreat Week, and
we will all try to do a little something every day and report our
progress and talk about 'it'; shoes; ships ans sealing wax; cabbages
and kings. We challenge ourselves to something we can succeed at.
That willl be different for each of us, but something a little
different, or something a little out-of-our-comfort-zone. In my case,
it may be setting aside time, without fail, to do something solely for
ME, and telling the family to deal with their own stuff for an hour or
two each day. OTOH, I might set up to do some piecing, which I
haven't done for so long I've probably forgotten how.

Whatever it is, at the end of the Retreat we should be satisfied and
mellow: that's the aim.

Who's in?

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old June 18th 11, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Well, I would like to be in that group, Nel, and will make the honest
effort to set aside time each day for something quilty related.

Ginger in CA

Old June 20th 11, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Sounds good to me. And I have some deadlines looming

Pati, in Phx