Miniature quilt auction - What sells?

Old January 30th 11, 05:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default Miniature quilt auction - What sells?

Like many quilt guilds we always have a miniature quilt auction as
part of our quilt show. Each member of the guild is asked to
contribute one miniature quilt plus serve on a committee to help
produce the show. Our next show is one year away so they are really
pushing for everyone to volunteer for a job.

Since my life is in a bit of turmoil (and after 20 years I am very
tired of show committees) I have told the chairman that I will not be
able to serve on an active committee as I have always done in the
past. Instead I would be making several quilts for the auction. So far
they have accepted this contribution knowing that my miniatures are my
best work and will earn them money.

My question is what types of items raise the most money at your shows?
We aren't limited to miniature quilts. Purses, table runners, almost
anything quilted is accepted but I want to stick with miniature quilts
since that is what I enjoy making. I plan to frame one piece. Several
will be Laurie Smith patterns I started and never finished. (problem
is deciding which I can part with ) Some will be leftover blocks from
other projects. Most will be 1800's reproduction because that is the
majority of my personal and shop sample work. I will do at least one
feed sack mini and one batik.

I would love to hear what projects have caused a stir and bidding war
at your guild shows. Please share.

In the raffle basket area fabric always sells the most tickets. Last
show we had an American Girl Doll basket which was the top money
maker. The guild bought a doll (our charity didn't qualify for a
donation from the doll company because they only serve children's
charities). Guild members were asked to make or buy things for the
doll. It was lots of fun but took away from the auction donations.
Hopefully my extra pieces will help this time.

Susan

Old January 30th 11, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Just answering in a very general manner, Susan. Who is your 'market' ? Is
it quilters who admire and would love to have a miniature of their very own?
Is it doting grandmas who would pay anything for a quilt for their grand
darling's doll bed? Is it someone decorating a foyer or a ballroom at the
winter palace? I'm not hoping to give you an answer; just thought maybe I
could trigger your thinking. Polly

Old January 30th 11, 08:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Not from experience, but just an idea:

I have been making miniatures for years (not so many now) and I always
home in on miniatures at shows etc. For 'appeal' (and so purchase?) I
think the actual dolls house size might go down really well (scale 1:12
- over here that is the scale).
..
In message , Susan Laity
Price writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old January 30th 11, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Thanks. And it is all of the above. We even have a few palaces in this
area. We call them Mc Mansions, 6000 square foot houses built during
the crazy housing days which they can't sell or even give away today.
There are a few houses in our town with property taxes of $35,000 a
year! Fortunately we have many more nice houses than Mc Mansions
because I think the Mc Mansion people don't have money to spend at the
auction. Thanks for your triggers.

Susan

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:02:29 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

Just answering in a very general manner, Susan. Who is your 'market' ? Is
it quilters who admire and would love to have a miniature of their very own?
Is it doting grandmas who would pay anything for a quilt for their grand
darling's doll bed? Is it someone decorating a foyer or a ballroom at the
winter palace? I'm not hoping to give you an answer; just thought maybe I
could trigger your thinking. Polly

.. .

Old January 30th 11, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Yes, most of our doll houses are 1:12. Years ago I had a beautiful
dollhouse and enjoyed making miniatures, especially needlework on 32
count silk gauze. Once the rotary cutter was introduced and quilting
became faster and easier I dropped all other hobbies in favor of
quilting. Twenty years ago I donated my dollhouse to a charity auction
to make way for a computer desk but have kept my most treasured
miniatures in a room box. Recently I noticed the room box was looking
a little bedraggled due to age and am in the process of refreshing it.
Maybe this will spark a new interest in doll houses. Should I have the
1:12 quilt on a bed or just note that it would fit a bed?

Susan

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 08:28:30 +0000, Pat S
wrote:

Not from experience, but just an idea:

I have been making miniatures for years (not so many now) and I always
home in on miniatures at shows etc. For 'appeal' (and so purchase?) I
think the actual dolls house size might go down really well (scale 1:12
- over here that is the scale).
.
In message , Susan Laity
Price writes

Old January 30th 11, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

The guild I used to belong to had a small quilt raffle every show [the
shows were every other year]. A guild member's dad built little table
top quilt stands, that fit a maximum 14" x 14" piece. Then many of us
made quilt-lets for them; the stands were part of the win! I did a
pineapple quiltlet in kokopelli and southwest fabrics [2.5" finished
blocks]. There was a variety of techniques used for the quiltlets.

Ginger in CA

Old January 30th 11, 06:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

If you had even one bed it would look marvellous. The others could be
folded or draped on a sofa (can you get the furniture easily?). I do
love these tinies. My first one is a wonderful teaching tool! I made
every mistake one could make with a log cabin miniature. My 1/8th"
binding is a sight to be seen - not g. They got better!
Have fun!
..
In message , Susan Laity
Price writes

Old January 30th 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

What dimensions would a tiny quilt have? I just made one that finished
4" square for a friend's doll house and hope it's about right!
Roberta in D

Old January 30th 11, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Susan I know it depends on the area you are in, and such. At the last
show here in the Phoenix area, the quickest selling small quilts were
sets of placemats and table runners.
At the quilt/craft/sew expo this weekend the biggest request for books
was one for bed runners. (which we didn't have....)
It all depends on who is there and who is buying. We find that most
everything sells, eventually. G

Pati, in Phx

Old January 30th 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

4" would be 48" in dollhouse measurements. Sounds good to me. Lucky
friend. Susan

wrote:

[...]

Miniature Quilt Question ? Knit Chic Quilting 7 August 20th 07 05:37 AM
Who sells lapidary equipment that will do this? mbstevens Jewelry 16 May 27th 07 11:10 PM
Martha sells her poncho Rusty Yarn 0 September 14th 05 04:48 PM
Who Sells Seashells By The Seashore? Arondelle Beads 7 December 8th 04 06:09 PM
Carol Doak Miniature Quilt nana2b Quilting 24 October 7th 04 05:08 AM