Lots and lots of fabric

Old January 23rd 11, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in SoCal

Default Lots and lots of fabric

WOW!! and i thought i gave away alot before i moved!!! she has TSWLTH
beat!! Sheesh!
Bless her soul.
Old January 23rd 11, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Well, that's true. She may have. I wish she'd called me to come help. That
would have really been fun. Polly

"Gen" wrote And just how do you know she didn't?
Gen

"Polly Esther" wrote I am eager to read what your reaction is to this
obsession. It touches me
first as so many lost opportunities. She could have enjoyed sharing with
charities that dress children or warm the laps at the Veteran's homes ...
etc. But she didn't.

Old January 23rd 11, 02:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Acutally, she is still dead no matter how much fabric she stockpiled! I
just noticed the hoarder show on tv earlier. I think there is a point where
people go off the deep end. She was a goner, imo. At some point doesn't
become counter-productive because you can't find anything in all the
clutter?
Taria

Old January 23rd 11, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

On Jan 22, 7:28*am, "melb" wrote:
Have you all seen this?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90192-1.htm

Edna

That's how I got started quilting a couple of years ago. I'm an
antique dealer and was at an auction looking for furniture. There was
two big Rubbermaid totes full of fabric that I bid on and won for
$12.50! I could see that the people who consigned it to the auction
were disappointed (with reason) on the low selling price. I talked to
them and they said they were cleaning out the house of a friend of
theirs who had passed on. She had SEVENTY totes full of unused fabric
in her attic. When I got home and went through my find, it was beyond
belief. The previous owner had each piece labeled with price,
yardage, and the day purchased. All in all, it was $1000 worth of
fabric that I bought for so little. Marvelous, beautiful fabric from
Moda, Hoffman, Henry.....and then I knew I had to do something with
it. So, my quilting adventures began. I have barely put a dent in
it all. The photos that you posted reminded me of what that ladies
house must have looked like. I agree with Polly, it's overwhelming
and a loss of opportunities that could have happened. Donna
Old January 23rd 11, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Yep, and I am there. Sigh. Anyone want to come help me sort and
organize when I get the money to rent a temporary mobile storage
unit?

Pati, in Phx

Old January 23rd 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

H*ll yeah, I've never been to Phoenix :-) Always looking for excuses
to see more of the US - inside of a storage unit full of fabric sounds
good.

Hanne in DK

Old January 24th 11, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jan 22, 7:28*am, "melb" wrote:
Have you all seen this?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90192-1.htm

Edna

Oh....that is kind of sad. It looks out of control, like hoarding. I
gave away a whole
rubbermaid container full of remnants (and yardage) to a friend of my
daughter's
who wants to learn to quilt. It wasn't hard to fill it up at all. I
found that some of
the remants I had used in so many quilts I was now sick of them. And
the yardage
was stuff I bought 4-5 years ago, loved it at the time, but didn't
like it now. Makes
me think you can really "outgrow" fabric, or your taste changes or
something.
My new motto is to either just buy fabric for a current purpose, or
use it
while I still like it.
I wouldn't want my kids to have to deal with a massive stash like that
after I was gone.
But then, some of that fabric may have been many years old, and she
reached the
point she could no longer physically organize or get rid of it.

Sherry
Old January 24th 11, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AllisonH

On 22/01/2011 8:28 AM, melb wrote:
Have you all seen this?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90192-1.htm

Edna

WOW!!

But just think of all the quilts that will be made by quilters who
bought fabric that day.

Allison
Old January 25th 11, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:52:35 -0600, Sherry wrote
(in article
):

Oh....that is kind of sad. It looks out of control, like hoarding. I
gave away a whole
rubbermaid container full of remnants (and yardage) to a friend of my
daughter's
who wants to learn to quilt. It wasn't hard to fill it up at all. I
found that some of
the remants I had used in so many quilts I was now sick of them. And
the yardage
was stuff I bought 4-5 years ago, loved it at the time, but didn't
like it now. Makes
me think you can really "outgrow" fabric, or your taste changes or
something.

As I work on cleaning up my studio to get new flooring, I've decided I need
to donate at least a third of what I have. Tastes do change. I'll keep a
few of the "uglies" because sometimes a little piece of it is just what a
quilt needs, but if I'm not going to use it, someone should.

Maureen

Old January 25th 11, 01:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_7_]

I did the same thing when we moved about 7 years ago - and now I wish I
hadn't decided to get rid of that fabric. At the time I was working, and
nearly every quilt I made was for someone in particular, so I thought
I'd thin out my stash of fabrics that I had fallen out of love with and
let others enhance their stashes. Now that I'm not working, I finally
have time to make quilts to be given as donations, but I don't have all
that fabric to work with! Oh well, live and learn!

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com