Christmas Stockings

Old November 22nd 03, 06:15 PM
clancy

Default Christmas Stockings

I'm planning on making a couple of stockings to hang on the mantle - I'm
making them out of flannelette and they're the longish country type. The
main fabric is burgundy and the cuff is a plaid with a mixture of colours
including burgundy. Can someone tell me how to make the cuff - I don't want
it just as part of the stocking (if you know what I mean) - I want it to
flop over to the right side of the stocking. Could I say that any screwier
than I just did? :-) Would appreciate anyone's help before I cut. :-O

Sharon (N.B.)

Old November 22nd 03, 06:19 PM
Pat in Virginia

Sharon: A few more details, please! Will you piece these
stockings? Line the stockings?
PAT

Old November 22nd 03, 10:49 PM
clancy

Lining would be nice too - the stockings won't be pieced like a quilt - just
drew out a long stocking, laid it on the flannelette and chop chop - sew up
the sides ...but I'd like to put a nice flopped-over cuff on it - not like
the usual little red stockings you find everywhere where the red fabric just
meets the white fabric and it's all one straight piece really. I'd like the
cuff to be turned over ... I'm making this a lot harder than it probably is
.............. see my lousy drawing below ... see how the cuff is bigger
than the actual stocking. Is this any clearer? :-(

Sharon (N.B.)

. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. ........... .
.. ..........................

Old November 23rd 03, 02:16 AM
dogmom

Yes, I know what you mean. Yes, I've done it. No, I can't really tell you
how, because I"m just awful at describing things! But heck, I'll try!
Whatever you do, do a sample first! Let's see.You've got the right sides of
your stocking together to sew. I lined the cuff; turned it, (it didn't go
all around--just wide enough for the front) then layered it, with its wrong
side against the right side of the front of the stocking (oh dear...murk,
murk) and sewed all 3 layers together. Made the top of it and the stocking
long enough so I could just turn it all down an inch, or a half. Then I made
lining out of light-weight white cloth; put the lining in the stocking,
turned its top edge down less so it covered the raw edges of the stocking
and cuff and topstitched it.Clear as mud? I was afraid of that...

There are patterns which can tell you how to do this--probably even some
online. Good luck!

Dogmom

Old November 23rd 03, 02:52 AM
K. Reece

There's a way to do this that is so easy you won't believe how easy it is!!
Make whatever you want for the front of the stocking and sew it to a back.
Turn it right side out. Cut the fabric for your cuff twice as wide as you
want and long enough to go around the stocking plus seam allowance. Sew the
seam in the cuff and then fold it in half. Put it down over the right side
out stocking with the right side of the cuff out, matching the top raw
edges. Make a lining and leave it wrong side out. Slip the lining over the
right side out stocking and sew the top edge seam. Now *unsew* about 2
inches of the bottom of the lining. Reach in and grab the stocking and pull
it out thru that opening. Tuck the seams back in on the bottom of the
lining and stitch the opening closed and tuck it down inside of the
stocking. *All* of your seams will now be on the inside!!

Kathy in Ks.
"clancy" wrote in message
[...]

. ..........................

Old November 23rd 03, 05:14 AM
clancy

Thanks dogmom and Kathy - I'll give this a try tomorrow - after I finish
putting the Christmas lights on the wreaths - I can't believe how many
people around here already have their Christmas lights on and lit Christmas
trees in the window. Why not? It's a lot of work so a good month of it
won't hurt a bit - I find it quite a happy sensation myself.

Thanks girls.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old November 25th 03, 02:41 PM
Maureen Wozniak

For the one I'm making, I'm sewing the right side of the cuff to the
wrong side of the stocking, then folding the cuff over to the right side
of the stocking, like a facing.

Maureen

Old November 26th 03, 04:44 AM
clancy

Nope no lining Pat - going to do them just like Maureen said - laid the
fabrics out and this works well. Thanks ladies.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old November 27th 03, 03:57 PM
Maureen Wozniak

You're welcome. I finished mine the other night and it looks wonderful!

Maureen

clancy wrote:

Nope no lining Pat - going to do them just like Maureen said - laid the
fabrics out and this works well. Thanks ladies.

Sharon (N.B.)