A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Needlework
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Stitch-in and stash enabling

Old August 18th 13, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW
external usenet poster

Default Stitch-in and stash enabling

Our local guild doesn't have formal meetings in July and August, but we hold a stitch-in each month. Usually one of these is at a local museum (such as an historic home or pioneer village) or archive where there are stitching artifacts, and one is held at a member's home.

This week, we held our August stitch-in. The hostess lives in a 150 year old home where she and her husband run a B&B. Gorgeous gardens, beautiful house AND at least 60-80 pieces of stitching on the walls as well as lots of artwork. She used to stitch models for Charland, so if any of you have stitched any of Charland's early pieces (her Anne of GG, Maria, or her samplers) you've seen Carolyn's work. There are (I counted) 40 samplers lining just the hallway between the dining room and the kitchen. MLI, Shepherd's Bush, Darlene O'Steen, etc, etc - all our favourite designers. (Carolyn also paints and does stained glass and makes wonderful jams and jellies mostly from fruit she grows herself). She treated us to home made scones and four different kinds of home made jams for our morning tea and coffee.

Following the stitch-in, several of us headed for the local wool shop, Rose Haven Farms. The shop is changing hands and so there is a sale on till the end of the month. She has mainly gorgeous knitting supplies, wools, angoras, silks, bamboo, etc, etc. but she also carries some embroidery and felting supplies. I came home with Treenway silks, Splendour silks, Pepper Pot silks and some Gumnut Tulip and Poppies (fine embroidery wools).

Here's my problem - I have no idea (yet) what I'm going to do with some of this stuff, but I had to have it. I also volunteer at an Naval archive just four doors away. Noooooooooo! I can't buy anything more. At least the Splendour silks were colours that I didn't have - those I can sort of justify.

MargW
fondling the Pepper Pot silks
Ads
Old August 20th 13, 11:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak
external usenet poster

Default Stitch-in and stash enabling

On 8/17/13 7:02 PM, MargW wrote:
Our local guild doesn't have formal meetings in July and August, but we hold a stitch-in each month. Usually one of these is at a local museum (such as an historic home or pioneer village) or archive where there are stitching artifacts, and one is held at a member's home.

This week, we held our August stitch-in. The hostess lives in a 150 year old home where she and her husband run a B&B. Gorgeous gardens, beautiful house AND at least 60-80 pieces of stitching on the walls as well as lots of artwork. She used to stitch models for Charland, so if any of you have stitched any of Charland's early pieces (her Anne of GG, Maria, or her samplers) you've seen Carolyn's work. There are (I counted) 40 samplers lining just the hallway between the dining room and the kitchen. MLI, Shepherd's Bush, Darlene O'Steen, etc, etc - all our favourite designers. (Carolyn also paints and does stained glass and makes wonderful jams and jellies mostly from fruit she grows herself). She treated us to home made scones and four different kinds of home made jams for our morning tea and coffee.

Following the stitch-in, several of us headed for the local wool shop, Rose Haven Farms. The shop is changing hands and so there is a sale on till the end of the month. She has mainly gorgeous knitting supplies, wools, angoras, silks, bamboo, etc, etc. but she also carries some embroidery and felting supplies. I came home with Treenway silks, Splendour silks, Pepper Pot silks and some Gumnut Tulip and Poppies (fine embroidery wools).

Here's my problem - I have no idea (yet) what I'm going to do with some of this stuff, but I had to have it. I also volunteer at an Naval archive just four doors away. Noooooooooo! I can't buy anything more. At least the Splendour silks were colours that I didn't have - those I can sort of justify.

MargW
fondling the Pepper Pot silks

no need to justify - you were doing good work helping the shop owner.
I'd love to seen the B&B - sounds lovely

Cheryl