Best Tip or Hint

Old June 26th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Default Best Tip or Hint

I guess that this means either well-used or newly acquired helpful
hint that you might have found useful in your quilty life!

I was reading a page of hints on one of the bunnyhop pages recently -
this hint stood out! I have always had a problem with threads
strangling the vacuum beater bar - the tip was to use a stiff bristle
bathroom brush to pick up loose threads from carpet. I am now
thinking of the 99cent brushes with stand as sold at Ikea - I have a
lime green one already in the bathroom and will probably pick up
another for sewing room use. It isn't that often that I have room to
manouever the vacuum in the sewing room so this idea hold merit.

What's your best tip/hint? jennellh
Old June 26th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

My best hint: if you ignore the threads on the floor long enough, and
walk on them for a long, long time, they sort of web together and
begin to feel like carpet underfoot. BEG

Seriously, the best "tip" came with the sewing machine I inherited.
It's a throat plate made just for a single needle and the foot that
goes with it. Piecing is soooooo much easier when the chances of the
fabric being yanked down into the depths of the bobbin hole.

If you don't have a single needle throat plate, I highly recommend
getting one. Just don't forget and try to zigzag when it's in place.
That would be a BIG oops.

Sunny
Old June 26th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

Whenever I have my single needle plate on, I attach a sticky note to my
sewing machine - over the buttons that would allow me to switch from
straight sewing to zig-zag or another type of stitch. The sticky note
simply says "Straight Needle Plate". I got tired of breaking needles

My best tip is to put a white plastic spoon behind the needle in your sewing
machine to help you to see where the hold in the needle is when threading.
My Viking has a white bar behind the needle, but sometimes I still use the
spoon. (Never could get the hang of the self-threader)

Pauline
Northern California

Old June 26th 08, 10:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Good idea! If I ever have a sewing room with carpet, it will come in handy.
Right now, the dust bunnies graze up all the threads and take care of that
problem for me.

My tip is not to put off whatever you think will make your work space easier
to use or more comfortable. Do it now! Today is the 1st day of the rest of
your life!
Roberta in D

Old June 26th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

A computer mouse pad is a useful addition to the sewing table. It is a place
to park scissors and implements while protecting the surface. A pad is
useful for both hand sewing and machine sewing, so add one to your traveling
sewing kit to use in bees and classrooms.

--
Pat in Virginia

Old June 26th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
PhillyQuilter

My best and most personally used sewing hint is to use a teensy dab of
glycerine on your fingertips when working with fabric. It is
completely colorless, odorless and will not leave a stain on your
fabric, but it will make your fingertips slightly tacky so it takes
much less effort to keep your recalcitrant pieces in line when, if
your are like me, your fingertips start to get really smooth when
you're doing a lot of machine piecing.

I got this from an old time pro quilter who used to keep it by her
machine in a cleaned out roller style deodorant applicator bottle
which are a little hard to find today. Or you could dampen some gauze
and keep it in a flat cold cream container. A little goes a long way.
Sometimes it is hard to find plain old glycerine at the supermarket,
but most pharmacies have it if you ask for it.

Diana from Gulph Mills, PA

Old June 26th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I wear my threads. When I'm quilting, my usual tasteful ensemble begins
with a t-shirt, plaid flannel or sweatshirt.
Cut threads cling quite handily to them so I just plop the stray threads on
my shoulder. None of that Hootchie Mama spandex or crisp linen worn in
here. When I happen to pass a mirror or get so hairy that Yogi complains,
they're easy to swipe off and toss in the trash. Polly

"jennellh" wrote, in part I have always had a problem with threads

Old June 26th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

The newest scathingly brilliant tip comes from our Val in Seattle. I wanted
my sewing chair to support my back where my body sways and the chair leans
the other way. Val suggest that I make a pillow the size I needed and
attach it to the chair. Why not?
The pillow is about a dozen layers of leftover batting folded to just
the right size. It is grossly attached to the chair with duct tape. When,
if, I have it worked out just right, I may make it look nicer. Might not.
My back thanks me every time I settle in for a marathon. Polly

Old June 26th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

I have an old worn out squeegee that I pulled out the rubber squeegee
thingy, replaced this with a strip of magnetic tape. A quick swipe around
the floor and all your dropped pins and needles are ripe for the pickin'.
Works quite well if you happen to have carpet in your sewing room. I've
fined tuned this tool to have about a 3ft handle and I can sit in my chair
and do a sweep without even bending down. Very handy!

Val

Old June 26th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jun 26, 12:11*am, jennellh wrote:
I guess that this means either well-used or newly acquired helpful
hint that you might have found useful in your quilty life!

I was reading a page of hints on one of the bunnyhop pages recently -
this hint stood out! *I have always had a problem with threads
strangling the vacuum beater bar - the tip was to use a stiff bristle
bathroom brush to pick up loose threads from carpet. *I am now
thinking of the 99cent brushes with stand as sold at Ikea - I have a
lime green one already in the bathroom and will probably pick up
another for sewing room use. *It isn't that often that I have room to
manouever the vacuum in the sewing room so this idea hold merit.

What's your best tip/hint? *jennellh

One of the best things I have done to make sewing easier is not fancy
wooden cabinets, or tables or trick notions or any other "helpful
hints", type of items. It was the purchase of an adjustable commercial
sewing chair from a commercial sewing supply store. It makes sense if
you think about it. People who sew for pay for 8 hours a day can only
do so if they are comfortable and this chair, a "Reliable" brand
chair, is adjustable in about any way you would need to make it, to
make your sewing experience pleasant. I now don't get those upper back
and lower back pains like I use to with whatever chair I was using at
the time. They are a expensive, but pay you back with an easy sewing
experience. I like all those notions also, but this chair is a winner,
and makes the difference between comfort and pain.

John