Not quilting but still sewing question

Old September 4th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

Default Not quilting but still sewing question

Hello,

My neightbors teen (she is 15) has outgrown her favorite denim jacket and
she has asked me to help her create something from it so she can "keep" it.
She is thinking maybe a purse or something... But... I am not creative lol
not in that way, and I know more than a few of you do crafty sewing stuffs
like this. Any suggestions? Patterns? Advise? Please And thank you

Carissa

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/Elywyn
Butterflies are not insects, they are

Old September 4th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

A purse would be great! Or a pillow! Either shouldn't be too terribly
difficult!

Sounds like a sweet girl! Have fun!

--
Kate in MI

Old September 4th 07, 07:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message 885Di.12224$Pd4.9007@edtnps82, Carissa
writes
Hello,

My neightbors teen (she is 15) has outgrown her favorite denim jacket and
she has asked me to help her create something from it so she can "keep" it.
She is thinking maybe a purse or something... But... I am not creative lol
not in that way, and I know more than a few of you do crafty sewing stuffs
like this. Any suggestions? Patterns? Advise? Please And thank you

Carissa

Maybe you could take the sleeves out and sew the openings up.
Then sew across the bottom of the jacket to make a bag. Then sew the
front opening up or just leave with whatever fastens it. The neck
opening would be used to put things in. With the sleeves you could make
a handle to hang it on the back of a door.
Could be used as a laundry bag or to hold small things like socks,
scarves or gloves.

You could even put a zip across the bottom if used for a laundry bag for
easier emptying. If you did not want to make a handle you could put a
clothes hanger in to hold it out.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old September 4th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Large bags are definitely the fashion statement this year!
(I just happened to notice this on a newspaper page yesterday - I am not
a fashionista g)

Cut off the sleeves, and then see what you have.
You might just need to use the front as front and back as back - cut to
a neat square or rectangle.
Use one sleeve cut into a couple of strips to form a 'gusset'; and the
other sleeve, cut into strips, to form the handle/shoulder strap.

It might be stiff enough as it is, or you might need to use an
interfacing. Make a bright lining - so that there are no visible fraying
seams.

Perhaps use Velcro dots for closures?
..
In message 885Di.12224$Pd4.9007@edtnps82, Carissa
writes
Hello,

My neightbors teen (she is 15) has outgrown her favorite denim jacket and
she has asked me to help her create something from it so she can "keep" it.
She is thinking maybe a purse or something... But... I am not creative lol
not in that way, and I know more than a few of you do crafty sewing stuffs
like this. Any suggestions? Patterns? Advise? Please And thank you

Carissa

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 4th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

You could sew up the openings and fill it with fiberfill to make a pillow.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 4th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carissa

Thank you everyone for the suggestions I have saved them all thus far
and will share with her when she gets home from school today (Yay school
today and see what we can create

Carissa
PS more suggestions welcome if you still have great ideas left lol

Old September 4th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
witchystitcher

Found these links I'd saved a while ago:

http://www.quiltpox.com/Patterns/jean_purse.html

http://www.aokcorral.com/denimpurses.htm

http://plussizechildren.com/freeclasses2.htm

http://familycrafts.about.com/od/cra...implepurse.htm

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_sewing_a...389654,00.html

Hope you find something that inspires you.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Sewing and Quilting John Quilting 33 March 19th 07 12:10 AM
Is ths a good deal? Grace Quilting Sewing Frame +Janome 1600 Sewing Machine bobbi Quilting 12 December 8th 06 09:18 PM
Not quilting, but still sewing! Kate Dicey Quilting 26 January 18th 06 04:56 AM
New to quilting, not to sewing Desiree Jenkins Quilting 1 December 24th 03 11:18 AM