OT For the Brits - re the Ashes

Old December 9th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

Default OT For the Brits - re the Ashes

ah now *that* I can do.. a posh voice is the easy bit getting the tune right
is harder

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)
In The Netherlands
Take out: _I love the colour_ to reply.
www.geocities.com/jessamy_thompson
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jes...pson/my_photos
"Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun"
is the repeated line in a wonderful Noel Coward song. The full lyrics
are terrific. You can probably still find them on Google (with the
above + Lyrics). It's worth a look for a good laugh - and you have to
read them/sing them with an extremely posh-sounding, English voice for
best effect!
--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old December 9th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
M Rimmer

In message , CATS
writes
I only know it from an old Noel Coward song (which I think
was written more about the British in India than Australia).

And as an Aussie I hesitate to say this - but could we be
considered "mad" (not dogs, just mad!). The English are
never considered "mad" - just eccentric.

Only the upper and upper middle classes are eccentric. The same
behaviour in lower middle classes would be described as mad and the
working class would be criminal.
--
Mel Rimmer
www.bean-sprouts.blogspot.com

Old December 9th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT Eccentric (was OT For the Brits - re the Ashes)

"M Rimmer" wrote in message
In message , CATS
writes
I only know it from an old Noel Coward song (which I think
was written more about the British in India than Australia).

And as an Aussie I hesitate to say this - but could we be
considered "mad" (not dogs, just mad!). The English are
never considered "mad" - just eccentric.

Only the upper and upper middle classes are eccentric. The same behaviour
in lower middle classes would be described as mad and the working class
would be criminal.

Or, as they explained in "Yes, Prime Minister", eccentric is one of those
irregular verbs. You know, I have an independent mind, you are eccentric, he
is completely 'round the bend. ;-)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old December 9th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

rofl

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in
message . ..
:
: "M Rimmer" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

: --
: Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
: Queen of Fabric Tramps
:

Old December 9th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Good catch, Kathy g
..
In message , Kathy
Applebaum writes

Old December 14th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

In the spirit of true sportsmanship -

GO ENGLAND!!!!!!!

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
Enness Boofhead Donut
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"CATS" wrote in message
: These appeared on the internet within an hour of the match
: ending. Don't follow the game myself, but some of these
are
: actually a little funny.
:
:
: Another Sad Horrific English Series (ASHES) jokes
:
: Q. What do Geraint Jones and Michael Jackson have in
common?
:
: A. They both wear gloves for no apparent reason
:
:
:
: Q. What is the height of optimism?
:
: A. An English batsman applying sunscreen.
:
:
:
: Q. What does Ashley Giles put in his hands to make sure
the
: next ball almost
:
: always takes a wicket?
:
: A. A bat.
:
:
:
: Q. What would Glen McGrath be if he was an Englishman?
:
: A. An allrounder.
:
:
:
: Q. What advantage do Kevin Pieterson, Andrew Strauss and
: Geraint Jones
:
: have over the rest of their team-mates?
:
: A. At least they can say they're not really English.
:
:
:
: Q. What is the English version of a hat-trick?
:
: A. Three runs in three balls.
:
:
:
: Q. What do you call an Englishman with 100 runs against
his
: name?
:
: A. A bowler.
:
:
:
: Q. What is the most proficient form of footwork displayed
by
: English batsmen?
:
: A. The walk back to the pavilion.
:
:
:
: Q. Who has the easiest job in the English squad?
:
: A. The guy who removes the red ball marks from the bats.
:
:
:
: Q. Why is Andrew Flintoff the unluckiest English player?
:
: A. Because he was born in England.
:
:
:
: Q. What does "Ashes" stand for?
:
: A. Another Sad Horrific English Series.
:
:
:
: Q. What's the English version of LBW?
:
: A. Lost, Beaten, Walloped.
:
:
:
: Q. Who spends the most time on the crease of anyone in the
: English team?
:
: A. The person who ironed the cricket whites.
:
:
:
: Only those who follow the game of cricket (or live in a
: Nation ruled by the outcome of this ritualised battle
: between Aus and Eng) would understand. Personally I never
: understood the attraction of standing in the middle of a
: wide open space in 100degree heat for days, any more than
: understand the appeal of sitting and watching people doing
: this.
:
: I think the series now stands at two/nil in favour of Aus,
: with three matches to go - but I'm not interested enough
: to check. lol
: --
:
: Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
: o o o o o o
: ( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
: Enness Boofhead Donut
: http://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest

Old December 14th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

go where?
)
j.
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"CATS" wrote...

Old December 14th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Thanks Cheryl!
Good start, but I fear the Aussies will take their revenge tomorrow!
..
In message , CATS
writes

Old December 14th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

BEG
Yes, revenge can be sweet when it comes.

I still won't be watching. Too many interesting things to
do lol

--

"Patti" wrote in message
: Thanks Cheryl!
: Good start, but I fear the Aussies will take their revenge
tomorrow!
: .
: In message , CATS

: writes

Old December 15th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

nzlstar* wrote:
go where?
)
j.

on to win

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

What are the Ashes wah.gb Needlework 22 September 19th 05 10:21 PM
Pet ashes into beads bluemaxx Beads 11 October 10th 04 05:57 PM
BRITS only - insuring a quilt earthmagic Quilting 2 September 4th 03 02:03 PM