OT - sewing question

Old October 29th 05, 04:33 PM
Wooly

Default OT - sewing question

I'm intellectually challenged this morning, but surely somebody
reading the list will know the answer to this:

If I'm making a three-tiered ruffle that will be seamed on three sides
I need to put the SHORTEST layer in the middle of the "sandwich" so
it'll be on top when I turn the ruffle right side out, yes? And the
sandwich needs to made such that the shortest and medium pieces are
right sides facing the longest layer, yes?

Going for more coffee...

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old October 29th 05, 08:56 PM
Els van Dam

In article , Wooly
wrote:

I'm intellectually challenged this morning, but surely somebody
reading the list will know the answer to this:

If I'm making a three-tiered ruffle that will be seamed on three sides
I need to put the SHORTEST layer in the middle of the "sandwich" so
it'll be on top when I turn the ruffle right side out, yes? And the
sandwich needs to made such that the shortest and medium pieces are
right sides facing the longest layer, yes?

Going for more coffee...

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

Wooly, You have three ruffles let say for arguments sake, they are1/2
inch, 1 inch, and 1 1/2 an inch wide ruffles. If I understand you
correctly, these ruffles are going to be caught on three sides. I would
first baste the three ruffles together, the widest on the bottom and the
smallest on the top, now treat it as one piece of material and sew it in
between the three sides of the framing materials.

Hope this is a help.

Els
Old October 30th 05, 01:58 AM
Wooly

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:56:54 -0700, (Els van Dam)
spewed forth :
Wooly, You have three ruffles let say for arguments sake, they are1/2
inch, 1 inch, and 1 1/2 an inch wide ruffles. If I understand you
correctly, these ruffles are going to be caught on three sides. I would
first baste the three ruffles together, the widest on the bottom and the
smallest on the top, now treat it as one piece of material and sew it in
between the three sides of the framing materials.

Hehehe - that's no more clear than the instructions, but I finally
figured it out. I took a low class approach though, since this is a
Halloween costume that'll likely not be reused next year. I laid each
ruff right-side down, widest to narrowest, and serged them together
along the common edge. I then flipped the medium ruff over the widest
one and put in a seam for the elastic casing, then turned the whole
thing "right side out", pinned in the elastic and serged the two ends.
I had already overcast the raw lower edges instead of hemming. Add a
hook-and-eye and it makes a passable clown collar.

This method was certainly not what the pattern designer intended.
Then again, the envelope advertised EASY TWO-HOUR PATTERN. Damned
thing took me two hours to pin and cut, and two DAYS to make up. I
can see _all sorts_ of improvements for any further incarnations of
this pattern, which is just a jumpsuit made up using oddball fabrics -
clownish, even!

Wooly "Sewing? That's buttons and hems, right"? Grrl

+++++++++++++

Old October 30th 05, 02:13 AM
MRH

See... I would have loved doing that... only by hand. I loved making
costumes for Matthew while he was growing up. Whether it be for Halloween
or for school plays.

Not doing any of that this year.... in fact he isn't even going to be home.
He went to a friend's place for 2 1/2 weeks (left on Thursday, will be back
two weeks from tomorrow)... man it's lonely and quiet here. Anyway, with
him gone... considering the two groups of VERY LARGE people in costumes and
*masks* that showed up at the door last year... I am not answering the door
at all. I don't mind the little ones, and I can deal with the bigger ones
if Matthew's here too, but I'm not risking it on my own. You never know who
are behind the masks and if they are even from THIS town. I don't like
sounding paranoid, because I love my town and have always felt safe here...
but let's face it, on Halloween when the masks are on, you don't know who
they are.

Gem
- better safe than sorry

Old October 30th 05, 06:37 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Wooly i have sewen many a 3 tired skirt , thus it took me several
moments to realize this is not a skirt ,, let see if i understood yoy
well the ruffle is a seprate thing that has a double sided ruffle ?
it has a shorter part on top and 2 [equal????] ruffles hang to both
sides ?????
Oh i reread medium and short face the longer !! is this going to be a
ring ruffle or a curved one ????
mirjam
Ps when in doubt i pin it all in the supposed place and Look to see if
it hangs ok .