Mystery Fabric entry done!!!

Old July 14th 05, 06:42 AM
marbles_2

Default Mystery Fabric entry done!!!

Well, I've finished my Ugly (Mystery) Fabric contest entry and now I
can't wait until I turn it in. (August 15...I don't want to turn it in
too early in case someone gets any ideas to copy my project.) It's
funny that I first thought of making a conversion quilt out of the
fabrics (bright red, sky blue, bright yellow and murky green prints),
but once I got to designing and piecing and sewing, a entirely
different piece emerged. (I know.... need photos....) It's basically
going to be a tea party tablecloth for a card table size table but I
had to stop because it's supposed to be between 32 and 36 inches (it's
now 35 and a half). I made four tea cups (red cup on blue print, blue
on red, yellow on green, and green on yellow) with their tops pointing
to the middle where I made a swirly snail's trail (like steam). I put
some fussy cut Debbie Mumm tea party print on the corners, and in some
of the borders. Needing more inches to qualify, I made a bunch of
flying geese around the edges with the four fabrics on a cream
background. Turned out really neat!!

I can't wait to finish the whole thing and it's going to drive me crazy
to wait until after the contest (Aug. 22). I'm thinking of using
flannel and a backing so it will lie nicely on the tabletop. Then we
can have a tea party!

In the meantime, I'm hoping my daughter lets me finish her VW quilt I
started three or four years ago but her boyfriend bought her a
comforter before I got them completed. I ended up just giving her the
12 squares. Recently they had their house broken into and a bunch of
stuff stolen (including their nice car) as well as the comforter
(probably how the thieves hauled out the stuff). My first thought was,
"They need a quilt!!!" (I'm not heartless...I hope they get their
stuff back but I'm certain the comforter is toast anyway.)

We're having fun now!!

Annie

Old July 15th 05, 04:04 PM
Debra

On 13 Jul 2005 22:42:09 -0700, "marbles_2"
wrote:

[...]

I have found that there are some blocks that I generally just don't
like the looks of when used as a repeat to make a whole quilt top, but
they are the perfect touch when used singly as only part of a design.
Snail trail is one of them. A whole quit of only snail trail blocks
makes my eyes cross or something. I thought I'd never like that block
but I've seen them used as intertwined cats tails and intertwined
elephant trunks and they were the perfect touch. I bet your tea cup
steam is another perfect use for that block. I know it sounds really
nice Are you planning to post pictures online after the contest is
over? I'd really like to see it.

I can't wait to finish the whole thing and it's going to drive me crazy
to wait until after the contest (Aug. 22). I'm thinking of using
flannel and a backing so it will lie nicely on the tabletop. Then we
can have a tea party!

In the meantime, I'm hoping my daughter lets me finish her VW quilt I
started three or four years ago but her boyfriend bought her a
comforter before I got them completed. I ended up just giving her the
12 squares. Recently they had their house broken into and a bunch of
stuff stolen (including their nice car) as well as the comforter
(probably how the thieves hauled out the stuff). My first thought was,
"They need a quilt!!!" (I'm not heartless...I hope they get their
stuff back but I'm certain the comforter is toast anyway.)

We're having fun now!!

Annie

Sorry your daughter's house was broken into. I hate to say it but you
are probably right about how the thieves used the comforter. I think
finishing the VW quilt is a great idea. It will help in setting the
house back to rights, and might be helpful in making her feel more
secure in her home again.

By the way, I didn't know there was a VW block and I would be
interested in making a few of my own. Do you know where I might find
the pattern?
Debra in VA
Old July 16th 05, 06:15 AM
marbles_2

I need to root around under several bins of stash and other possible
places where old patterns live, but for right now I don't remember the
designer's name. Seems to me she also had a pattern for a VW bus (the
one I made was a Bug) and I think I've seen it while bunny shop hopping
online. It was applique, if that is any help. (Just got home from work
and I'm typing with one hand while eating dinner with the other.) It
was a fun pattern and you can make numerous VWs with a variety of
patterned fabrics or backgrounds. Anyway, I'll let you know when I find
it.

Annie

Old July 16th 05, 11:51 PM
marbles_2

Debra

Well, I dug down to find my pattern box and actually found the
pattern!!! (Surprise to me that I can be so organized!!) Anyway, it's a
pattern for Jukebox by Cindy Cooksey called V Dubs. I found one webpage
that still had the pattern, so here's a link.
http://www.trudystreasures.com/quilt.htm

It's funny to look at it now because when I was making the blocks, I
really didn't have a clue what I was doing. Now I know more and can
make them into a nicer quilt than if I would have sewn them together
back when. Funny how things work. And my daughter really really needs a
hug quilt such as this to replace the comforter now. (...Horrible
thought....what if I'd made it for her back when and it was stolen??)
New beginnings..... *S*

Are You a Fabricaholic? Judy C Quilting 6 May 22nd 05 09:57 PM
71 reasons to buy fabric David & Barbara Schmidt Quilting 3 September 3rd 04 04:57 PM
quilt shops in NY Terbear Quilting 8 April 6th 04 08:41 PM
Pirates o' the South Pacific Swap frood Quilting 27 January 25th 04 12:04 AM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM