Where are we from?

Old October 25th 04, 07:28 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

And don`t forget the maids and maidens !!!!
mirjam
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:23:03 +0100, Penny Gaines
wrote:

Elizabeth M wrote in :

"mejane" wrote in message
And you got me wondering. mede in old English - I think - means meadow
and as Runnymede runs north/south makes me thank at one time there must
have been a long meadow that run down to the lake. it brings up images
of children and deer and bunnies out in an area that just a couple
hundred
years ago would mainly have been new, wooded land. Our country is still
so new.

[snip]

I'm in Berkshire UK. In Surrey there is a place called Runnymede, where
the Magna Carta was signed in 1215. It's quite a historic site. There's
more info here if you're interested!

The Runnymede in England does have a lot of meadowland running down to
the River Thames, even today. I can just imagine it full of bunnies and
deer (and children and ice cream vans in summer).

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old October 25th 04, 10:01 AM
Carol In WI

Does anyone know of a person from Denmark or Lithuania? I want to find
patterns from there. Thanks, Carol In WI

Old October 25th 04, 02:44 PM
Aud

"Carol In WI" skrev i melding
Does anyone know of a person from Denmark or Lithuania? I want to
find patterns from there. Thanks, Carol In WI

Carol, here is a few Danish sites. I don,t know what you are looking
for.
but as Norwegian and Danish is much like, I might help you.
http://www.strikkesiderne.webbyen.dk/
http://www.viv.dk/English/default.htm
http://www.marknodesign.dk/default.asp?lang=uk
http://www.slaraffenland.dk/
http://www.karen-noe.dk/

Just ask me!
AUD :-))

Old October 25th 04, 06:25 PM
Craftkitten (Darlene)

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:07:54 -0400, "norma woods"
wrote:

I'll let you know Darlene. Do you know yet the dates?

Hi

The dates for the one-of-a-kind are November 25 - December 4.

Darlene in Toronto
http://members.rogers.com/craftkitten
Old October 26th 04, 10:43 PM
Sarah Carter

Sue W wrote in message
. com...
I'm in Norfolk, England, via North Wales and Nottingham

Cool. I was born in Nottingham )

Sarah

Old October 26th 04, 11:32 PM
Sue W

Hi Sarah, so was I, and my Mum still lives there.

--
Sue in East Anglia, UK

Old October 27th 04, 02:08 AM
spampot

Yes, anyone who thinks we're over-regulated now should take a look at
history! Queen Elizabeth I, since she was head of the church in
England, made half the days in the calendar fasting days (which meant no
meat should be eaten on those days), so that the fishing trade would be
supported. She was given a pair of machine-knitted stockings (back on
topic! but refused to grant the machine-maker a patent because it
would put hand-knitters out of work.

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Wow Thank you , this was exciting to know and look ....
Now did you know that the same parliament that signed the Magna Carta
,also made a ruling about Not usinfg cotton , as it endangered the
livelihood of the wool traders !!!
mirjam
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:28:42 +0100, "Elizabeth M"
wrote:

"mejane" wrote in message

And you got me wondering. mede in old English - I think - means meadow
and as Runnymede runs north/south makes me thank at one time there must
have been a long meadow that run down to the lake. it brings up images of
children and deer and bunnies out in an area that just a couple hundred
years ago would mainly have been new, wooded land. Our country is still
so new.

Jane in Toronto

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

Jane all the names you mention , read like a novel in it`s self .... my
imagination is working ,, esp this Runny ...maid....:::
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:44:04 -0400, mejane
wrote:

We bought a house on Dundas West, just east of Runnymede. Before that, I
lived for many years on Bloor Street, just west of the Humber River.

Hi

I'm in Berkshire UK. In Surrey there is a place called Runnymede, where the
Magna Carta was signed in 1215. It's quite a historic site. There's more
info here if you're interested!

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/plac...e/history.html

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/plac...20gallery.html

Liz

Old October 27th 04, 07:56 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Oh i read that those sock machines competed with her Ladies in waiting
who knitted socks ,,, the poor man who invented the machine , fled to
France and was beheaded there !!!
Anyone who likes history like this might look for the books
Socks & Stockings By Jeremy Farrell, B.T. Batsford , 1992
Stockings & Suspenders, A quick flash , by Rosemary Hawthorne ,
Souvenir Press , 1993
[she is also author of Knickers and Bras , but i have not read it ....
]
mirjam

Old October 27th 04, 10:05 PM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

Mirjam I wasn't ignoring you, I only just got the message about autumn
colours, I think it must have been stuck in midair!!
Thank you for your suggestion, and funnily enough I'm making ponchos in
autumnal browns for daughters and the son's girlfriend. One crochet with
BIG holes, and 2 broomstick crochet, very effective. It has made me realise
that I'm NEVER knitting anything using 20mm needles, just too big for my
poor little fingers!!
The weather improved for a bit and was really lovely autumnal, crisp but not
too cold, but it's rapidly deteriorating again with gales promised. I think
that Cher has already suffered from the gales (I nearly wrote "had the wind"
but thought that sounded a bit personal) and now it's our turn.
Love Christine

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Ohhhhhh Christine ,, roll up some cards with autum color threads and
do some funwork with that !!!
mirjam
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:58:29 +0000 (UTC), " Christine in Kent, Garden
of England" wrote:

I'm from Kent in South East England where at the moment it's very easy to
tell why it's so green and beautiful: 'cos it's raining so hard. And the
trees are the most gorgeous autumn colours, it'd be a treat to look out
the
window if it wasn't for the rain

--
Love
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

"Gallagher" wrote in message
I've been posting for months and lurking even longer. We are such a
diverse
group! But I wonder...where are we all from?

I'm in the US, in Pennsylvania.

Abi