what a great hubby! (and not OT!)

Old January 21st 12, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default what a great hubby! (and not OT!)

The other day I decided to finish a Christmas tree skirt. The quilting was
in metallic thread and the Janome 6600 just wasn't cooperative. I drug out
my beloved B 930 and she didn't miss a beat. I just love that machine.
Can't argue with that Bernina slogan. Like cars everyone has their favorite
but I am with Polly on this one.
Hope you have years of happy sewing on that new machine Betsey. You
just know someone around here is going to want to rent your dh!
Taria

"Polly Esther" wrote in message ...

HoooBoy! Hot dog. Betsey, you just got the best of both worlds. Not only
do you have a wonderful sm but you have the chances to yell "Where is the
@#! (whatever)" and the dealer right there to show you. Mmmm. My goodness.
There are a few of us 'Nothing sews like a Bernina' folks here and we do
love our sm(s). I looked at the Bernina chart to see the comparison of the
440QE and the 450. Looks like the 450 will do a 9mm wide stitch which is
nearly twice as wide as the 440QE. That will come in handy one day. I
think the BSR is standard with the 440QE and an option with the 450. Some
of us have it and mostly don't bother to use it; it's a personal choice.
So. Happy dancing for you. What wonderful news. Polly

Old January 21st 12, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Juno B

Give it a try, expand your horizons, try the zigzag

well...here's the follow up.

did the grocery shopping today with hubby and nate. they then dropped
me off at the lqs while they ran an additional errand. i needed to
pick up some supplies for a garment sewing class i am taking there,
starting next friday.

They are a bernina dealer, not a viking dealer. The owner lured me
into the back to look at a classroom Aurora 450. Beautiful
condition. sews like a dream. was a reasonable price FOR THAT
MACHINE (still more than the viking 870...). Shortly after Hubby and
Nate came in. long story short....I did not feel comfortable writing
a check for that amount,and was ready to leave with a "he's hungry,
we;ll go home and think about it". But, we put it on layaway!

and, until it's paid in full, i can use it at the store for the class
I am taking.

I'm sitting here stunned. just stunned. Never did I think I would
own such a machine! (and I don't, not yet...but will in a couple of
months!)

Betsey

I'm proud of you Betsey, that layaway will be paid of before you know
it. To be able to use it while in class is just fabulous.Enjoy your new
power tool. Look at it as a just reward for having worked so hard at the
weight loss. You're right he's a great husband!!
Juno
Old January 21st 12, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
betsey

On Jan 21, 4:16*pm, Juno B wrote:
[...]

Juno- Hide quoted text -

thank you everyone! i am still just in awe.....and he is just smiling
away. He won't admit to anything...but knew more about the machine
than he let on. more than me! (i had just never considered a
bernina...thought it was way out of the price range!).

and yes Polly, it does have the 9 mm width...it's SO cool! do you
have the BSR? do you use it? I know I won't be jumping for that
gadget anytime soon g.

my initial reaction was "i'll sell my viking to help pay for it" but
the hubby pointed out "why drag an expensive bernina around....why not
keep that viking for classes and such? you know you love it".

I do love that boy! (i did before today, but wow, when he decides to
sweep me off my feet!)

betsey
Old January 22nd 12, 12:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

betsey wrote:

I do love that boy! (i did before today, but wow, when
he decides to sweep me off my feet!)

Congratulations on both! ;-)

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old January 22nd 12, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Polly Esther[_5_]

Yes, I have the BSR. No, I don't use it. It's sort of like training wheels
on a bicycle. Or maybe the cruise control on a car. Probably some of us
have quilted so many miles that we just don't need it. You just might love
it; worth a try while you're at the dealer/class. Still happy dancing for
you. Polly

Old January 22nd 12, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
betsey

On Jan 21, 7:24*pm, "BEI Design"
wrote:
betsey wrote:
I do love that boy! *(i did before today, but wow, when
he decides to sweep me off my feet!)

Congratulations on both! *;-)

--
Beverlyhttp://ickes.us/default.aspx

thank you Beverly!
Old January 22nd 12, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
betsey

"betsey" wrote in message

On Jan 21, 4:16 pm, Juno B wrote:

[...]

betsey- Hide quoted text -

my initial thought is that it's an expensive (now 1500-) extra that i
don't need. I do some machine quilting....but small things. not
quite enough to justify such an expenditure. but will try it at a
class.
and yep, i'm still happy dancing.

betsey
Old January 22nd 12, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Yippee! What a sweet deal!
Roberta in D

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:31:49 -0800 (PST), betsey
wrote:

On Jan 21, 9:35*am, Juno B wrote:
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

but here's the thing---I've been reading the reviews on sewing pattern
review. *and it seems to be a 50/50 split of those who like the
machine and those who are dissapointed in it. *maybe we'll have to go
drive an hour+ to check it out. *and bottom line...90% of the time,
i'm using a straight stitchg.

Old January 23rd 12, 01:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
mamahays

"betsey" wrote in message
On Jan 21, 9:35 am, Juno B wrote:
[...]

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Layaway is a wonderful thing. And that's fantastic
that you can use it (and learn to use it) in your classes. Woot!!!

Sharon
---
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and just annoys the
pig.

Old January 23rd 12, 11:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
betsey

On Jan 23, 8:14*am, "mamahays" wrote:
"betsey" wrote in message

On Jan 21, 9:35 am, Juno B wrote:

[...]

thank you Sharon! i'm very excited---

now...another follow up. I was at my parents today. they live about
two hours away, and are in their early 80's. my mom's singer is older
than me (i THINK it's a slantomatic???). anyway, last time she had it
repaired, the repair man told her to NOT spend her money the next time
it needed a repair.

well, said machine is acting up. I'll bring up my featherweight over
the weekend, just in case she needs to sew something...but obviously,
once the Bernina comes home, my viking will go visit my mom. She
loves sewing on my 350, and this is a good solution for her!

betsey

Hubby sewing She in PA Quilting 3 November 26th 05 09:12 PM
While hubby's away Cheryl Isaak Needlework 16 October 30th 05 12:09 PM
Hubby Home! Gallagher Yarn 9 January 4th 05 02:47 AM
Hubby Enables S.E.X.!!! Caryn Needlework 12 September 4th 04 02:33 PM
Help for Hubby Carolyn from DE Quilting 37 December 27th 03 03:14 PM