Pillow cases, iron & applique

Old January 16th 12, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna[_8_]

Default Pillow cases, iron & applique

Good morning, all! Hope you're all warmer then 28 degree's!

Sharing an small idea:

I have spare pillow cases that I use on the end of my ironing board.
Not only gives my iron board cloth a longer life, but it's easy to
slip off the pillow case,wash it and thus always have a nice clean place
to iron.

Anyhow, I'm making a raggedy-flannel heart quilt and need to make sure
the hearts are all located on the same spot of each square. So
easy! My pillow case slip-cover has a checkered-liked print. All I had to
do to make sure all my hearts were lined up on their perspective
squares using the pillow case/iron board cover as my template.

I just used pins to know exactly where to place the next square & heart
(my outline,)pin heart in place and sew away.

This is my first raggedy quilt. It's not real big but I'm having fun
in the making.

Lovin' my quilts at night.....

Donna

Old January 16th 12, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Good use of the checkered print of the pillow case, but I'm afraid that we
were down to about -12 degrees last night. The upcoming week doesn't look
much better. We're way below normal.

Steven
Alaska

Old January 17th 12, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Here way down on the Gulf Coast, we've had several nights of 20 degrees.
There's one special plant outside that I wanted to protect. She's a
split-leaf philodendron (sort of an elephant ear with curly wiggly leaves
and a great beauty). Just no such thing as bringing her inside. So. I
took a big scrap of batting - about 30" square and covered her up. It
worked a charm. There are a few frozen leaf tips but for the most part
she's suffered no harm. The Yorkie thinks I'm quite mad and doesn't like
something on the place 'different' and very suspicious. He still gives the
quilted philodendron a wide berth when he's out on his bedtime duties.
Polly

mmunications...

Old January 17th 12, 06:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leigh Harris[_3_]

We've also had a few nights lately of about 20 degrees - Celsius! :-)

Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

"Polly Esther" wrote

Here way down on the Gulf Coast, we've had several nights of 20 degrees...
(the rest is snipped)

Polly

Old January 17th 12, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

I caught that Leigh. Up here that is a typical Hot summer day for us.
Anchorage didn't officially reach 70 F last summer. I visit family in
Michigan and Pennsylvania to warm my bones clear through to hopefully last
the winter.

Steven
Alaska
eb.com...

Old January 17th 12, 07:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Polly

When I was growing up, through about 6th grade, I had a garden all my own.
It only had two things in it. Beets and tomatoes. The beets were for me
and the tomatoes for Mom. I LOVE pickled beets. Anyways, in the spring Mom
would watch the weather and when needed out I would go to make newspaper
tents for all the tender plants.

I know, I'm weird. There used to be an asparagus field next door and when
Mrs. Swetz would mow I'd go out and follow and she'd stop when she cam
across any stray shoots still coming up after all those years. So, as a
child I loved beets, asparagus, brussel sprouts, liver and who knows what
else. I was definitely the odd child.

I can just imagine the split leaf. How funny I'm sure it looks.

Steven
Alaska

Old January 17th 12, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna[_8_]

Isn't is grand that the Quilt Police no longer scare us! It's still cold and now snowing here in WA. Alaska and Santa's home are getting more snow then they have had in 40 years! Or so says the local weatherman in Seattle.

Steve, just hoping there's no wind where you live. I have a good friend who works in Alaska whose job is to keep the lights on! Not sure how much fun he's having these days.

Back to quilting.....I think I hear the cops pounding on my door.

Donna
Old January 18th 12, 07:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Donna, they've had a time of it this year between the wind back in November
and December and now with all the snow. The trees just keep coming down.
We were without power for nearly four hours on New Years Eve. And I dread
the next couple of days up north at work. The high is supposed to be around
zero and winds are to be 40 to 50 mph. That is not sounding fun.

Steven
Alaska