The Joy of Books

Old January 12th 12, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Happy Birthday, Shirley! The Joy of Books

Howdy!

Many Happy Returns, dear!
Hope you celebrate for at least a week = oh, go ahead, take
the rest of the month to play Birthday Party!! ;-D

Hugs,
Ragmop/Sandy

On 1/11/12 1:30 AM, in article ,
"Shirley Shone" wrote:

On 10/01/2012 23:55, Sandy E wrote:
Howdy!

This is ON topic because I'm sure some of those books
are about quilting. Of course they are!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKVcQnyEIT8

Ragmop/Sandy- often finding joy in books

I really enjoyed that, took me back to the job I had working in a
library until I retired.
Today is my 76th birthday.
Hugs
Shirley

Old January 12th 12, 05:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

Default The Joy of Books

Happy Birthday Leigh with many more to come.

Di
"Leigh Harris" wrote in message
eb.com...
Happy birthdays Shirley and Di! Mine's tomorrow, but 'only' 47 years. Can
we add any more to keep counting down? :-)

Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

"Di Maloney" wrote

Happy Birthday Shirley with many more to come.

Mine was on Saturday - 66 years.

"Shirley Shone" wrote

Old January 12th 12, 05:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

Default Happy birthday gals! was The Joy of Books

Wow, I do love January Birthdays - Happy Birthday Tia Mary.

Di

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
OOO -- Lots of early January Capricorn b-days -- Happy B-day to you all.
Mine was on Thursday last (05 Jan), I am now 49 with 16 years experience
:-))). I took myself to the movies for a treat. DH gave me some lovely
iolite stud earrings and took me away for a few days between Christmas and
New Years. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary /\___/\

On 1/11/2012 8:25 AM, Taria wrote:
Happy Birthday to Shirley, Di and Leigh. Best wishes for a great year to
come
and many more.
Taria

Old January 12th 12, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Taria, you can have an e-book and still love 'real' books. The ebook is
much easier to take with you and you can download from the net or the
library - assuming, of course that you're bright enough. ( not me, not yet
but it could happen.) Just because you have an ebook doesn't mean that you
are forever barred from the joys of books in print. Bigamy is okay for
those who love to read. Polly

"Taria" That is wonderful fun. Thanks to Sandy! We enjoy books a bunch
here too.
DH finds books on paperback swap often but there are just a zillion books
here we can't part with. Half.com another good bargain shopping spot.
If I remember right doesn't Abe have a lot of neat Dover books?

Last time I was in the dentist office while waiting for the dentist
to come in I was reading a book. He asked why I didn't have an electronic
reader. I told him nobody could make me. I like real books, in my hands
and lying around. I get that the e-readers have a purpose but I haven't
gotten there yet.

Old January 13th 12, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:37:13 -0600, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):
Bigamy is okay for
those who love to read. Polly

Definite book bigamist here. I love that I can carry a zillion books around
on my Kindle wherever I go. But I still have groaning bookshelves at home,
too.

And sadly, for a couple of favorite books, I have the "real" book and the
e-book.

Maureen

Old January 13th 12, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I'll refrain from telling dh bigamy is ok. LOL He has a e-book and keeps
trying to get me to test it out. I just hate the sewing machine that is
computerized. I hate to go farther in that direction, I will probably
be taken kicking and screaming though. That machine has really turned
me off to technology. : (
Taria

Old January 14th 12, 03:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I have 3 bookcases - the 6' one is 3/4 full of craft related books.
Also got a kindle last summer, the one that has ads on it [when you
power down]. I use it to slep books aslong with me sometimes, all on
there are free books, except one. I basically use if for light
reading, nothing that needs my writing commentary or underlining or
dog-eared pages. I love the feel and textural imprint of the printed
word but like the portability of the kindle to have something to read,
nearby.

Try it, Taria!

Ginger in CA

Old January 16th 12, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AllisonH

Where can you see what free books are available? I don't think that I
would want to pay for an electronic book that I can't lend to a friend
when I'm done with it. But if a kindle is light enough to tote around
in a purse then free books could be useful for commuting or when
standing in line at the grocery store. Of course then I'd have no
excuse for browsing the juicy gossip magazines that are stacked by the
checkout!
Allison

PS I like the idea of book bigamy. I've done that already with
magazines. I have a subscription to the hard copy of Wired and tried
accessing the online version with my daughter's ipad. There are some
fun extras with the online version and it's easier to read the long
articles. But I like the print version for other parts of the magazine.

Old January 17th 12, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

If its a Kindle, Amazon do free books. They are in the Kindle Store -
look up free books. I am trying books by authors I haven't read before.
There is a synopsis with each book, readers reports, and you can also
look inside to see if it is your style of writing, so you can judge
whether you want to read it. I thought all the free books would be out
of copyright classics, but they aren't - a good mix, and they seem to
change them. Also some of the books you pay for are 'silly silly' cheap.

I never thought I'd prefer my Kindle to a real book, but after reading a
new paperback book the other day I found I was irritated by the pages
springing shut! Of course they're no good for books with pictures.

I think you can lend books out to another Kindle for a short time, but
havent yet read my instruction book!! (too busy reading the Kindle).

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old January 17th 12, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Sally answered it very well. I understand you can shop from your
Kindle, also, but I don't do that.
When you look on the right side for the top 100 books in the Kindle
store, they have both pay-for and free on the same list, side by side.
20 per page.

Ginger in CA

On Jan 13, 8:09 am, *wrote:
[...]

[kinda AD:)] happy happy joy joy crna_ofca Beads 2 November 15th 05 04:22 PM
joy Marie Lawrence Needlework 4 August 27th 04 11:40 AM
Happy Happy Joy Joy! - OT Sort of... Tinkster Beads 2 April 24th 04 02:24 AM
Happy Happy Joy Joy: New Toys - OT Tink Beads 57 October 24th 03 02:04 AM
Happy Happy Joy Joy: New Toys - OT Tink Beads 0 October 16th 03 04:44 PM