Entry Door Insert

Old April 8th 04, 01:14 PM
Roger Jensen

Default Entry Door Insert

I am building a diamond beveled pattern insert for my entry door using 4" x
7" diamonds. The completed insert will measure approximately 20" X 60". I
intend to place the insert between two sheets of tempered glass. How do I
frame out the insert? I am sure there must be a commercially available
material to frame the insert, what is it called and where can I purchase it?
After the insert is properly "laminated/ sandwiched/ framed" I will build a
custom fitted wooden door for it.

Thanks,

Roger in Abilene

---

Old April 8th 04, 01:57 PM
Moonraker

"Roger Jensen" wrote in message
news
I am building a diamond beveled pattern insert for my entry door using 4"

7" diamonds. The completed insert will measure approximately 20" X 60". I
intend to place the insert between two sheets of tempered glass. How do I
frame out the insert? I am sure there must be a commercially available
material to frame the insert, what is it called and where can I purchase

it?
After the insert is properly "laminated/ sandwiched/ framed" I will build

custom fitted wooden door for it.

Thanks,

Roger in Abilene

Best bet is to have a local commercial glazier that does insulated glass
sandwich the art glass between the tempered sheets. There is a DIY product
available from CRLaurence, but the learning curve is pretty steep. You'll
have to have somebody order in the tempered anyway, so why not have them
make the whole insert? Be aware that your panel will grow in overall size
(height and width) by about 3/4" to 1", depending on the type of "squiggle"
they use to make the sandwich.

Old April 8th 04, 05:14 PM
Roger Jensen

Appreciate your reply and advice, but I am wanting to do the sandwiching
task myself, realize I will need to have the tempered glass cut. Hopefully I
will figure something out.

Roger in Abilene

---

Old April 8th 04, 06:09 PM
Javahut

"Roger Jensen" wrote in message
news
I am building a diamond beveled pattern insert for my entry door using 4"

7" diamonds. The completed insert will measure approximately 20" X 60". I
intend to place the insert between two sheets of tempered glass. How do I
frame out the insert? I am sure there must be a commercially available
material to frame the insert, what is it called and where can I purchase

it?
After the insert is properly "laminated/ sandwiched/ framed" I will build

custom fitted wooden door for it.

Thanks,

Roger in Abilene

the commercially available materials are either wood or plastic. and they
come is specific sizes, no "app."
unless you order a single piece, on a custom order, want to guess at the
cost?

BUT, if you are building the door, make the molding to hold it in place.
Exterior doors are traditionally 1 3/4" thick, you can make a leaded
insert, with 1/8" tempered glass on either side, using bevels on your lead,
3/4" to 1" thick, your choice. Then use an applied molding on your door.

By the way, the insert is more than 2 pieces of tempered with the lead
inside, it is "glued" together , with a dessicant filled material around the
edge, so that it is a single entity. That is what you are framing in the
door. Personally I prefer mine 1" thick.

Old April 9th 04, 01:52 AM
Javahut

"Roger Jensen" wrote in message
news
I am building a diamond beveled pattern insert for my entry door using 4"

7" diamonds. The completed insert will measure approximately 20" X 60". I
intend to place the insert between two sheets of tempered glass. How do I
frame out the insert? I am sure there must be a commercially available
material to frame the insert, what is it called and where can I purchase

it?
After the insert is properly "laminated/ sandwiched/ framed" I will build

custom fitted wooden door for it.

Thanks,

Roger in Abilene

Maybe I missed something earlier, is your specific question,"How do I frame
out the insert?"
Perhaps our use of terminology is a problem here. What do YOU mean by
"frame out the insert"?
Is it how do you create the thermal insulated unit using 2 pcs tempered
and a lead panel?
or how do you frame the finished insulated unit? I guess I am just
overtired and can't grasp the question.

The use of "laminated/ sandwiched/ framed" is confusing because they are 3
different things!

You build the leaded unit, you surround it or stack "airspace material
(containing dessicant) on it, and then further stack it with safety glass,
creating a thermal insulated leaded unit. You frame that unit in the door,
usually with wood, but there are fiberglass and plastic units out there.

Old April 9th 04, 02:36 AM
Roger Jensen

"Javahut"

I do not know the proper terms to describe the task hence my question.... I
am building a single sheet of beveled glass diamonds that will measure about
20" X 60" when completed. I do not know the proper way to laminate this
single sheet with tempered glass and am requesting help. I can definetly
build and frame in the completed item in my door.

Roger in Abilene

---

Old April 9th 04, 04:28 AM
jk

"Roger Jensen" wrote in message
. com...

"Javahut"

I do not know the proper terms to describe the task hence my question....

am building a single sheet of beveled glass diamonds that will measure

about
20" X 60" when completed. I do not know the proper way to laminate this
single sheet with tempered glass and am requesting help. I can definetly
build and frame in the completed item in my door.

Roger in Abilene

I'll stick my .02 cents in here. Glass on both sides of a finished panel
is ugly. It takes away from everything you did, especially with bevels.
It's gonna look like all the chinese crap that you can buy from Home Depot.
Depending on your design and method, you may not need any. Stained glass
was made and installed for hundreds of years before there was insulated
glass. All this happened because the price of oil went from .05 a gallon in
the '20's to over $1 in the 70's. Again this is just my opinion.
Now some tips for your project. It must be absolutely pristinely clean
before it goes in the sandwich. Tempered glass CANNOT be cut. Get spacers
from your local glass shop, and while you're there, ask them if you can
watch them do a unit. Watching one is better than reading 10 books.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old April 9th 04, 02:16 PM
Michele Blank

i think i would probably attack this a bit differently. What you want is
glass to help keep the panel from eventually bowing, right? Well, install
one sheet of tempered glass to the exterior as you would any door insert
glass. Then install the panel behind that using plastic bumps from a
hardware shop spaced along the edges/corners to keep from rattling against
the tempered. Then finish with your half/round window stop. Or, if you
really think you need the second tempered to the inside, use bumps again,
then the tempered, then the final molding stops.Do not seal the panel/glass
with anything like silicon or you may get condensation inside. It has to be
able to breathe, you may even want to use weep holes in the interior molding
to allow for circulation. m

Old April 9th 04, 03:27 PM
jk

"Michele Blank" wrote in message
i think i would probably attack this a bit differently. What you want is
glass to help keep the panel from eventually bowing, right? Well, install
one sheet of tempered glass to the exterior as you would any door insert
glass. Then install the panel behind that using plastic bumps from a
hardware shop spaced along the edges/corners to keep from rattling against
the tempered. Then finish with your half/round window stop.

You mean 1/4 round right Michele? I got the impression that this guy
wants to do it the way he sees it done in Home Depot type doors, not for any
particular structural reasons. Plus he is intent on doing the entire thing
himself. Let's see his response to these suggestions.