Triangles

Old January 12th 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Barb[_4_]

Default Triangles

I'm having a problem with triangles for a quilt I'm making. When I start to sew at a point, the fabric bunches up under the needle. It seems that the dog feet doesn't grab the fabric, so cannot push it along. Does anybody have a trick or solution to this.
Barb
Old January 12th 12, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Sure, Barb and hello and welcome. A lot depends on your sewing machine and
what foot you're using. Just generally - first sew something else. The
something else can be a couple of 2" squares or whatever's handy. Without
cutting the threads from the something else, move on to your triangle.
Stitch it as you press down on and gently lead the scrap sewn away from the
triangle and don't let the wascally needle poke, bunch or annoy your quilt
piece.
We keep little piles of scraps closeby just for that. If this doesn't
resolve your problem, come right back. There are other solutions. Polly

Old January 12th 12, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

If you have the option of a single hole face plate (or whatever it's
called?), that will cause less bunching than the wide hole designed to
accommodate all the wide (and fancy) stitches. I have a Janome, and it
was possible to buy a single hole plate as well as the wide one that
came with the machine. The single hole is also much better for free
motion quilting.
Finally, it is not necessary to start the seam at the point: you could
start it a few threads in, or you could start at the seam line and
reverse for a couple of stitches before coming back in the right
direction.
Polly's solution is the most favoured (it's just that I never do it, so
find other ways round the problem). You may also find that fabrics
differ in their propensity for getting squished down into the hole.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old January 13th 12, 06:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Barb[_4_]

Thanks for your suggestions. I have sewn a few like you mentioned Polly - just a little way in and that seems to work quite well.
I was thinking perhaps a small hole plate would be much better. I only have the wide plate, but perhaps I should invest in the small hole plate.
The quilt I'm making has hundreds of rectangles which in itself is very time consuming and precise.
Barb

Old January 13th 12, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

The small hole in the plate does help a lot. I do mine like Polly does,
and when I start a new set through, I lift the presser foot and set the
fabric right next to the needle. That seems to help, too.

Louise in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/user/LouiseinIowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

Old January 13th 12, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

You already have lots of good advice. But mine is not to sew triangles
at all, unless you really have to. Instead, cut squares. Draw a
diagonal on the back of the lighter square and sew a quarter inch on
each side of the line. Cut on the line, and you have 2 triangle units.
Press and trim. I almost always make mine a little too big and trim
down. I'd be trimming the "ears" off anyway, and it also gets rid of
the occasional scrunched bit.

My other advice is to make sure you have a sharp new needle.
Roberta in D

Old January 14th 12, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Barb[_4_]

Because I didn't have a single hole plate, I put a small amount of green
painters tape over the wider hole plate. That has worked very well for me.
Barb
"Pat S" wrote in message
If you have the option of a single hole face plate (or whatever it's
called?), that will cause less bunching than the wide hole designed to
accommodate all the wide (and fancy) stitches. I have a Janome, and it
was possible to buy a single hole plate as well as the wide one that came
with the machine. The single hole is also much better for free motion
quilting.
Finally, it is not necessary to start the seam at the point: you could
start it a few threads in, or you could start at the seam line and reverse
for a couple of stitches before coming back in the right direction.
Polly's solution is the most favoured (it's just that I never do it, so
find other ways round the problem). You may also find that fabrics differ
in their propensity for getting squished down into the hole.
.
In message , Polly Esther
writes

Old January 14th 12, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

There we go! Invention on the hoof g
Well done Barb.
..
In message , Barb
writes
"Pat S" wrote in message
[...]

Triangles still not working Marie Dodge[_2_] Quilting 18 February 15th 08 06:36 AM
triangles redrose Quilting 6 November 13th 06 10:12 PM
Quilting those triangles Sartorresartus Quilting 7 September 3rd 06 10:58 PM
Corner triangles? Johanna Gibson Quilting 1 August 25th 05 02:27 PM
HELP!!! Triangles! Need in a hurry! Merry Stahel Quilting 2 December 16th 03 09:23 PM