Work won't let me wear earrings, not even studs :(

Old November 7th 05, 01:56 AM
Phoebe

Default Work won't let me wear earrings, not even studs :(

""Séimí mac Liam"" wrote in message
"Phoebe" wrote in
:

The worst part is that I have to wear a balaclava AND a set of earmuffs
for hearing protection, AND I work in the shipping department, so there
is no contact with exposed food products

So how would anyone know if you have pierced earrings in your ears? I'd try
the least obtrusive earring I could find and arrange ro be alone when I
removed the balaclava. At least until my ears healed, then you can get by
with having no earrings in during the workday.

--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve

Breaks are taken in a lunchroom with a large number of people, and I sit at
a table surrounded by others. It's not possible to hide real earrings or
studs. Some of the other ideas like fishing line etc might work.

Old November 7th 05, 02:02 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:56:23 -0800, in hõ "Phoebe" wrote:

Breaks are taken in a lunchroom with a large number of people, and I sit at
a table surrounded by others. It's not possible to hide real earrings or
studs. Some of the other ideas like fishing line etc might work.

there's always the approach of simply asking your boss or the HR department, or
whatever, to allow a temporary exception to the rule, so you can keep a modest
little stud in the ear long enough for the hole to properly heal in orderthat
you then have the option of wearing pierced earrings when you're not at work.
Considering that you're not directly working with food, the main reasons for the
ban would be company wide policy, not any real problem with safety or hygiene or
the like. You can get hoop style earrings that are small, have a sort of
closure to them so the hoops cannot easily come off accidentally, and aresmall
enough they won't be likely to catch on things, which would solve any objections
to studs based on them possibly falling out if the friction back comes off.

Now, I'll never try to underestimate the degrees to which some businessescan be
totally unreasonable with employee needs, but it's always worth a shot, at
simply asking for temporary permission... At least it would seem so to me...

Peter Rowe
Old November 7th 05, 06:32 AM
Phoebe

The last thing I want is to have people complaining about special treatment,
because that causes a lot of problems

Old November 11th 05, 09:06 PM
BeadHappy

"I got my ears pierced yesterday after work, and then it hit me... I
couldn't
remember anyone else wearing anything, not even studs. ... ... ...
checked the company handbook, ... ... ... no jewellery except for medic
alert bracelets."

This may sound really odd, but in the US Army when someone got their
ears pierced and couldn't wear earrings (male and female), they used a
short piece of clean broomstraw in the hole. Never needed to try it
myself, but it seemed to work.

MonaLS, Hayward CA

Old November 18th 05, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

There are a number of good reasons to prohibit jewelry in a plant
environment. In food prep there are contamination issues and catch
hazards with rings.

It is worth asking where you work on policy for pierced ears. Many
companies allow small studs (keepers?) which do not project very much
from the ear.

Being OT on RCTN KCat Needlework 154 October 3rd 05 12:26 PM
Stitching - at work Mlle Ilvesvuori Needlework 13 April 12th 04 03:43 PM
OT ,, embroidering the background info of the work as part of the work Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 0 March 31st 04 06:17 PM
How To Make Ebay Work For You - for beadmakers Kandice Seeber Beads 63 February 22nd 04 05:45 PM