Focus on Design: Double Wedding Ring (long)

Old March 25th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Focus on Design: Double Wedding Ring (long)

Focus on Design is an occasional feature I
post here ... when the mood strikes! It is an
opportunity to talk about quilt top patterns.
I choose these randomly, and may even repeat
myself since I don't keep a list!

Let's talk about our experiences, likes and
dislikes. We can talk about favorite pattern
sources and color combinations. Let's set
aside issues of pre washing, of kids, even of
chocolate. Those can be interesting topics,
but *this* thread is Focus on Design. So,
let's focus on Double Wedding Ring!
PAT in VA/USA

Double Wedding Ring (DWR) is an old standard
design. Here is some historical background:
http://tinyurl.com/s5ag9

The pattern features overlapping rings, most
often pieced of small units. The larger areas
'inside' the rings provide a generous space
to display quilting. Sometimes there is a
small design pieced here, such as a star.
This is not common, but is pretty.

Generally, the rings start out as arc units.
These are then pieced to elliptical shapes
(Rugby or American Football shapes,) and then
those are added to the larger scooped out
square piece. (Clueless as to what to call
this bit!) So, traditionally, DWR has been a
curved piecing pattern requiring a certain
skill set. Now one can find an other
construction options.

Here is what seems to be a free pattern for
foundation piecing: http://tinyurl.com/l62pe

Marcia Hahn shows an unusual construction
method in her free pattern site:
http://tinyurl.com/flnpg

John Flynn also has a unique method, using
strips, but this is not a free pattern:
http://tinyurl.com/jk3l5

There are also several durable template sets
on the market too. Some are acrylic, some are
metal. These are a bit pricey, but assure
accuracy. DWR has come a long way since the
days of cutting scraps with cardboard patterns!

What do you have to add to this topic??
Old March 25th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have always loved the DWR pattern. I'm hand piecing one now (I think I
have about 16 rings done) in 30s repros with Kona's snow-colored solid (I
think that's what it is - not a pure white, but not really cream, either)
for the centers and melons. Right now it's a take-along project for trips,
but I may shift it to a higher priority soon.

For me, the DWR is so representative of the roots of quilting. It was a
great way to use scraps, but it also provided an showcase for intricate
quilting designs. So while it was utilitarian in its utilization of fabric,
it also gave our predecessors an opportunity to demonstrate their stitching
ability.

I admire the innovation and design seen in today's quilts - and I think
we're fortunate to have an almost limitless amount of fabric color and
designs use in creating them -- but I like the reminder of simpler times
that the DWR conveys to me. That being said, when I was selecting fabrics
for the solid pieces at the end of each arc, I just couldn't go with the
traditional pink and green - mine are purple and yellow!

Good topic, Pat!

Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old March 25th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've always loved this design, and considered making it for my son and
daughter-in-law's wedding quilt. BUT, when I saw the holes the dog chewed in
my daughter-in-law's lap quilt, I decided that I'd wait for a more careful
recipient [like myself, maybe?] I adore my daughter-in-law, but some folks
are "pretty but easy" quilt folks and some are "heirloom" quilt folks. She's
the former [at least during this stage of their lives.]

I think I saw one of these done all in florals...watercolour style? Has
anyone attempted this? The idea intrigues me, and is definitely on my
"someday" list.

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Old March 25th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I tackled a queen size double wedding ring very early in my quilting
life, nearly 30 years ago. I didn't know anyone who quilted, but I had
read books on quilting, including the DWR pattern. I used a cardboard
template and my garment sewing remnants to cut out all the pieces. One
of the books suggested appliqueing the rings on to the background to
avoid the curved seams. It made sense to me. I bought a couple king size
poly-cotton sheets -- one for the ring background, one for the quilt
backing. I couldn't see cutting up the background fabric into individual
squares, because I'd only have to sew them back together again. So I
pieced each arc, then sewed them all together! I pinned the whole thing
to the background sheet and started appliqueing. I don't remember how
long this took me, but it was a long time -- more than one winter, if I
remember correctly. I wanted to hand quilt it, but had never heard of
using a hoop for such a big quilt, so I designed and built myself a
quilting frame that would allow me to roll the quilt up on the bars and
have only 18-24" for quilting. I sandwiched the quilt, basted it, and
put it in the frame, in the middle of our big dining room. Then I
started quilting, using a stab stitch, because I didn't know or
understand about the rocking stitch. I was no where near done by the end
of that first winter, so I took the legs off my rack and put it away for
the summer. I don't remember how many winters it took to get it quilted
-- at least two, but it finally got done. We have used it on our bed
quite a bit. Some of the pieces are quite faded and some are showing
some wear, but all my applique stitches are holding. When the quilting
started to come out, I quit using it regularly until I could get that
fixed. I tried hand quilting it again; that ended rather quickly when I
realized how hard it was to quilt through those two poly-cotton sheets.
I finally ended up using the machine to fix up the places where the
quilting had come out;I didn't want to use it as it was and risk having
the batting get all lumpy, and I didn't want to just leave it in the
closet and not use it.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old March 25th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I really like traditional quilts and a DWR is about as traditional as
they get.
I have done a couple floral ones. First is he
http://home1.gte.net/res6mc9p/tlw/ta...s/quilts2.html

I made another floral for my niece a couple of years ago but I can't
find the photos. Sure hope DH took some. It came out really nice.
The quilt in the above photos was done with and old McCall's magazine/
book pattern. Each piece was cut individually. I got the Shar
Jorgenson templates and book and did
the last one with that. I was skeptical about the rotary cutting but
it turned out great.
I have bought several DWR tops. One that I actually quilted is he

http://home1.gte.net/res6mc9p/tlw/ta...hoto_page.html

I have another dwr top that has the tiniest strips in the arc. All 30's
prints.
The thing has none of the cornerstone at the end of the arcs. Otherwise
it is complete. I'll have to pull it out and finish it up and think
about quilting it. I always have to wonder about who might have started
an unfinished quilt or quilt top. (I know it wasn't Ragmop!) What
happened that distracted the quilter from finishing? I always feel good
about being able to help out.
Thanks Pat, Great topic.
Taria

Old March 25th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The woman that pieced that sunny happy top did a fine thing IMO too
Kim. I wish she could have seen it finished.
TAria

Old March 25th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My first look at a DWR as a small girl gave me wonder. It was so
beautiful but I couldn't figure out how my grandmother had made
something with so many curves out of so many tiny pieces. It was
almost magical to me.

Since then I've seen several variations including one with sunny
yellow for the background which was absolutely lovely. I always
thought the background should have more color. Another variation had
a star in the centers of all the rings which was very pretty and I'm
sure it took a lot more time and patience to make. I've seen other
types of pieced centers, but I liked the star one the best.

I have also seen several DWR quilts that have embroidered arcs instead
of the pieced ones. They usually have trailing vines and flowers
forming the arc and while very beautiful and time consuming to make,
they just don't scream DWR to me personally, but that is the
traditional form in my friend's family so she is making one with pink
and blue flowers.

While searching online for a different quilt pattern I found a DWR
variation that had a lot less pieces in the arcs. (I wish I could
post a link to it but I didn't bookmark it then.) IIRC it only had 4
or 5 pieces per arc. The arcs with larger pieces lacked the same
visual impact as the traditional one and I couldn't help but think it
would have had more impact if it had been done with non-pieced arcs.
I think non-pieced arcs in carefully chosen colors would give a whole
new graphic look to a DWR rather than the poor copy look of an
impatiently made, less intricately pieced arc version. This brings me
to the original link Pat posted, which mentioned applique DWR. It
occurs to me that one could applique non-pieced arcs fairly quickly to
a whole cloth background and avoid the need to do curve piecing of the
blocks and sewing all the blocks together, but I am unsure if applique
onto whole cloth would look as good as the curve pieced blocks sewn
together. The big question is would it still be a DWR perhaps named
DWR-graphic version, or would it merely be derivative?

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old March 25th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That's beautiful, Taria. I love those stronger colours than I have
often seen. I think the DWR pattern has never really appealed to me,
because I am only just beginning to like quilting - and that is so
important with those large 'empty' areas crying out for quilting. It
has always seemed to me to be a vehicle for exquisite quilting, and,
therefore, beyond me.
When I grow up, perhaps it will be the one that calls to me. I hope so,
as I love the appearance - especially with the scalloped edges.
..
In message yRgVf.564$Od7.256@trnddc06, Taria
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 25th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article JlfVf.3267$9h5.2817@dukeread09,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

What do you have to add to this topic??

Not much. I did make a small wall hanging for my in-laws' 50th
wedding anniversary about sixteen years ago, not long after I started
quilting. I used a pattern I found in one of Georgia Bonesteel's lap
quilting books. I do love to see DWR quilts (that yellow one Taria
shared with us is gorgeous!), and someday I hope to make another one.

BTW, yesterday at the quilt show I saw one done in tans and browns on a
cream background. It was amazing! But it was a variation I'd never seen
before, with (I think) only about five pieces in each arc. And the arcs
weren't smoothly curved at all; they were jagged -- a very interesting
and eye-catching version. I really liked it.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education