Help with converting colors

Old December 6th 05, 04:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Help with converting colors

I posted a similar request to another group, so my apologies to those of
you who have seen this already.

I'm looking to convert the colors in a chart (Silver Lining's "Baby
Roses") from the 17 shades of pink already charted to a set of purples.
Problem is, I don't know where to begin. As I was thinking about it
today, I thought I'd remembered someone posting a link (or maybe even
multiple someones or multiple links) to help accomplish this. So I
figured I'd post here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
--
Jenn L.

www.needleful-things.com

Current projects:
Autumn's Sunset Sampler (Nathalie Forster)
Nordic Needle Rose (Silver Lining)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Starry Night (Van Gogh)
Old December 6th 05, 07:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jenn L wrote:

I'm looking to convert the colors in a chart (Silver Lining's "Baby
Roses") from the 17 shades of pink already charted to a set of purples.
Problem is, I don't know where to begin.

Problem is, DMC doesn't have 17 shades of purple; they have about half
that, so you're going to either have to use one color for multiple
symbols and/or create blends. Maybe you could blend the original pinks
with a light, medium and dark purple to get purplish-pink? Remember,
there's reddish-purple and bluish-purple, and they don't necessarily
look good together, so you may wind up trying to collapse those 17
shades of pink into only 4 or 5 purples (and what blends you can create
between them).

Be that as it may, the process for converting colors is to first pull
the original colors and line them up in light-to-dark order. Then pull
your substitute colors and line them up in light-to-dark order. Maybe,
for this project, consider going "around the corner" into purple-tinged
shades that we would normally think of as pale greys/blues/browns and
see if you can tuck those into the odd highlight or shadow to expand
your palette a bit. (Remember when I was working on Glad Rags and
looked at that blend of navy and dark brown and convinced myself that
Marc had to have done that after a night of heavy drinking? But in the
light of day, had to admit it was an inspired combo.)

Anchor has a slightly wider range of purples than DMC, but again, you're
not going to get 17 subtle gradations of color "off the rack".

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

WIP: Rosebud (my own design), July birthstone,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old December 6th 05, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Marc used a combination of Anchor and DMC to create his"Lavender Lilacs"
Perhaps you could check out those combinations? There are about 25
lavender/purples in the chart.

Old December 6th 05, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jenn L wrote:
I posted a similar request to another group, so my apologies to those of
you who have seen this already.

I'm looking to convert the colors in a chart (Silver Lining's "Baby
Roses") from the 17 shades of pink already charted to a set of purples.
Problem is, I don't know where to begin. As I was thinking about it
today, I thought I'd remembered someone posting a link (or maybe even
multiple someones or multiple links) to help accomplish this. So I
figured I'd post here and see if anyone can point me in the right
direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Try this on-line site. Use it to find the color families in the
original pattern, then you have a clue what the color "values" are,
i.e.lt, dk, med. Then you can substitue another family in the same value.

I also have an Excel spreadsheet where I have sorted the DMC colors by
both number and color family. I use the numbers to find the family and
then cross-reference into the color family list to get the other members
of that family. I too often convert patterns from one main color to
another, e.g. a red rose to a yellow rose. If you want a copy I would
be have to send it to you in an attachment.

Rachel in Scottsdale

3rd speech Brian Christiansen Quilting 2 June 24th 05 06:20 PM
peacock colors Julia Altshuler Quilting 27 February 4th 04 04:26 PM
re peacock colors Roberta Zollner Quilting 0 January 27th 04 11:03 AM
Colors NoraBalcer Yarn 4 October 31st 03 02:55 PM
AD: Scrapbooking Products and Partylite Babydi General Crafting 0 August 24th 03 06:30 AM