FYI overseas mailing

Old August 24th 04, 04:20 AM
maryd

Default FYI overseas mailing

Unless you are mailing large pieces of fabric and if the pieces fit into a
business size envelope and you are mailing from US, mark the envelope as
fabric samples and a customs form is not needed. I have done this to
Scotland, England, and Canada and all mail went thru without a problem. I
haven't done this with a FQ but did with charms.

--
Mary

Old August 24th 04, 04:23 AM
Jalynne

My P.O. won't let me get away with that. I think it's a YMMV type of thing.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old August 24th 04, 04:36 AM
Sharon Harper

LOL - I just wrap mine in a sheet of paper, and it goes out as a regular
letter.

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

Old August 24th 04, 04:56 AM
nzl*

i understand its not possible now to mail anything metal into the usa since
9/11. that said, i reckon its always a good idea to put a customs
declaration on mail (labelled fabric/gift) so its not going to be returned
by any countrys mail system. everyone wants to know whats in what.
so far i've been ok both coming and going mail tho occasionally very slow
and arrives here by ship when its sent by air, oops. not sure why that
happened but it did arrive unopened.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"maryd" wrote...

Old August 24th 04, 08:01 AM
Packrat

but most importantly mark as GIFT and *don't* put a high value on the from
or the recipient will have to pay duty anyway!

I have had to pay 25 euro's ( about 30 US dollars ) for a gift once

--
8-)

Jessamy
In the Netherlands
http://www.geocities.com/jess_ayad/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unless you are mailing large pieces of fabric and if the pieces fit into a
business size envelope and you are mailing from US, mark the envelope as
fabric samples and a customs form is not needed. I have done this to
Scotland, England, and Canada and all mail went thru without a problem. I
haven't done this with a FQ but did with charms.

--
Mary

---

Old August 24th 04, 09:21 AM
Kate Dicey

maryd wrote:

Too bad. Just wanted to share my experience in sending squishies.

I do a customs form when sending stuff from here, but I never declare
the chocolate buttons these days, not after a bunch went missing!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 24th 04, 01:48 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

A friend of mine just sent me a beautiful thimble from Wales. She had
marked is as gift-trinket, and the package looked like it had been
through the ringer. It was marked something like "opened by the
government".

I NEVER put the correct amount of what the gift is. I know ya'll over
seas have to pay duties or taxes on it.

My PO office here in Dallas makes me put a custom form on anything going
international.

Babs