One down, five to go...

Old May 5th 04, 05:23 AM
BEI Design

Default One down, five to go...

http://home.comcast.net/~beidesign/wsb/index.html

Click "photos" and if you've been there before skip over the first
five pages or so. I know it's awkward, I'll delete the older pics
soon.

Yippeee!!!!

--
Beverly E. Ickes aka BEI Designs
http://home.comcast.net/~beidesign/wsb/index.html

Old May 5th 04, 09:37 AM
Kate Dicey

BEI Design wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~beidesign/wsb/index.html

Click "photos" and if you've been there before skip over the first
five pages or so. I know it's awkward, I'll delete the older pics
soon.

Yippeee!!!!

Lovely work, Beverly! That dress came out exactly as you described!

You know how you organize your bits & bobs... I have an old foam mouse
mat at the right end of the sewing machine, and I stab needles and pins
into it!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old May 5th 04, 12:33 PM
mamahays

"BEI Design" wrote in message
http://home.comcast.net/~beidesign/wsb/index.html

Click "photos" and if you've been there before skip over the first
five pages or so. I know it's awkward, I'll delete the older pics
soon.

Yippeee!!!!

Beverly! That is gorgeous. I **love** the way the bodice drapes.
Wonderful work. And don't you dare delete the older photos! You are a
great virtual teacher and they are a wonderful resource for that.

I have to add a personal thank you for showing how you do invisible zippers.
I shamelessly stole your method of hand stitching the seam just below the
zip for my niece's dress. Worked wonderfully.

I do my hook & eye at the top of the zipper the same way you did this one.
I think that works so very well. Now, I just have to find some way of using
up the pile of metal eyes..... I'll be hip deep in them soon! lol They
never look as good as a thread loop. I'll have to find a way to use them as
an embellishment or something..... lol

Great work. And only 5 more to go. Whoo hoo!!!!

Are you making your dress too?

Sharon

--
---
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and just annoys the

Old May 5th 04, 01:03 PM
Pampeliska

"BEI Design" wrote in message
http://home.comcast.net/~beidesign/wsb/index.html

It's just excellent, Beverly. I nice lesson to most of us, your pcxs are

great/
Suzan from Amsterdam

Old May 5th 04, 01:28 PM
Ward

Hello,

Very nice photos! Thanks for posting. I have a couple of questions if you
don't mind. First, were did you learn to make such nice sketches? Mine
look like stick figures from some kid's coloring book. Next, did you use a
chalk hem marker? The kind that puffs out chalk? It's had to tell from the
photo.

Thanks and keep the photos coming. It's a great reference.

Liz

Old May 5th 04, 02:49 PM
CindyP

Beverly,

From one very inexperienced seamstress to a very experienced one ... I
have a few questions:

1) What did you mean by "rolling" the organza and lining together before
basting them?

2) Why is it important to alternate slashes in the seam allowances of curved
areas? My guess is that it balances out the stress on the curve? I have
never done this, always just clipped the curves where it seemed like it
needed it, without alternating.

3) I had also not heard of off-setting the lining from the fabric...gotta
try that.

Simple questions, but just trying to learn

BTW, is that a Singer 401 or 403 in the photo? I'm quickly falling in love
with my "new" 403.

Cindy in WV

Old May 5th 04, 04:36 PM
BEI Design

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

Lovely work, Beverly! That dress came out exactly as you described!

High praise, coming from Lady Catherine, thanks!

You know how you organize your bits & bobs... I have an old foam

mouse
mat at the right end of the sewing machine, and I stab needles and

pins
into it!

Funny how trial and error is such a good teacher. My "organizer" is
just a large piece of Styrofoam, I stick the tools in at an angle, and
when it gets too many holes, it's very cheap to replace.

Old May 5th 04, 05:03 PM
BEI Design

"CindyP" wrote in message
Beverly,

From one very inexperienced seamstress to a very experienced one

.... I
have a few questions:

1) What did you mean by "rolling" the organza and lining together

before
basting them?

When you create a "sandwich" of fabric pieces, it's a good idea to
line them up, then pin or baste down the 'center' of each piece and
"roll" the two over something (dowel, magazine, whatever) in order to
create the "cylinder" to fit the human body before basting the edges
together. In the case of organza underling applied to a lining, I
rolled the lining material inside the organza. Each piece from the
skin out is _slightly_ larger. I'll try to find a link with photos
detailing what I mean.

2) Why is it important to alternate slashes in the seam allowances

of curved
areas? My guess is that it balances out the stress on the curve? I

have
never done this, always just clipped the curves where it seemed like

it
needed it, without alternating.

Yes, alternating the slashes on each side of the seam does just that,
puts less stress on the thread in the seam, as there is un-slashed
material on the opposite side. It also provides a smoother finish on
the outside, as there is better transition between the slashes.

3) I had also not heard of off-setting the lining from the

fabric...gotta
try that.

For a fully lined garment, if the lining is sewn both top and bottom,
making the lining just a skoosh smaller in every dimension helps keep
the lining edges from rolling to the outside. It's a matter of very
small degrees. For up-down, I usually try to keep the lining an
eighth of an inch shorter. For side-to-side, I make the lining seams
just a smidge deeper than the fashion fabric.

Simple questions, but just trying to learn

That's one of the great things about this group! :-)

BTW, is that a Singer 401 or 403 in the photo? I'm quickly falling

in love
with my "new" 403.

I have two Singer 401As, and two sergers, all in use at the present.
One of each has purple thread, the other white. I bought my first
401A brand new in 1961, the other is an eBay find a couple of months
ago. I love the 401As!!!

Old May 5th 04, 05:05 PM
BEI Design

"Pampeliska" wrote in message

It's just excellent, Beverly. I nice lesson to most of us, your

pcxs are
great/
Suzan from Amsterdam

Thanks so much! Some of those pictures are a little out of focus, I'm
still learning to use the new digital I recently bought.

Old May 5th 04, 05:11 PM
BEI Design

"Ward" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hello,

Very nice photos! Thanks for posting. I have a couple of questions

if you
don't mind. First, were did you learn to make such nice sketches?

Mine
look like stick figures from some kid's coloring book.

My "secret" is that I trace off the figure on a pattern. I have no
skill at all in drawing the human (or any other) figure, but if I
start off with a tracing, I can add the changes to the garment I want
to create. You'll see the "similarity" of the drawing of DD's gown
and the Vogue pattern sketch. ;-}

Next, did you use a
chalk hem marker? The kind that puffs out chalk? It's had to tell

from the
photo.

No, I used the pin-marker I got from my mother. I have a chalk
marker, too, but the only time I use it is when I mark my own hems and
there is no one around to help. I find the chalk tends to smudge and
drop off, the pins are exactly where I put them.

Thanks and keep the photos coming. It's a great reference.

I will try, thanks again.