Advice needed on pricing Not OT

Old April 12th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Default Advice needed on pricing Not OT

So -- her daughter will bring the fabric? Do you have a really solid
faith that it will be the fiber content, "hand", weight, and amount
that you will need plus some extra? Personally, unless the daughter
is an experienced quilter, I wouldn't trust that fabric purchase for a
minute! If the daughter is experienced with quilting, why isn't she
doing the quilt for her mother?

Personally, I wouldn't do it, no matter what price you negotiate! I
would, however, offer to help the mother do it herself -- point her
toward some classes, and then sit down with her.

(People often ask me to knit for them, which I refuse, although I
offer to help them learn so they can knit their own sweaters, afghans,
etc. Once when I was really pushed, I told the guy to start adding it
up -- $50 for decent but not spectacular yarn, $15 for decent but not
great buttons, and double the minimum wage per hour multiplied by 45
hours, which is the average time for me to design and knit a sweater.
He about died!)
Old April 12th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Apr 12, 12:19*pm, Ginger in CA wrote:
Good morning, all

A former supervisor of mine at work [she has promoted to another
position now] is asking me about making her a king size quilt. She
provided me a picture of a quilt she saw in Pottery Barn catalog that
is the style she wants. It is basically rail fence, or yellow brick
road or wicked easy type pattern: straight cuts, scrappy. The quilting
is simple cross hatch, which I would have to have someone else do [I
don't do machine quilting]. Her daughter will bring the fabric from
Hawaii over here.

So, now she is asking me for a price on doing this for her.

If you have some hints/tips/guidelines to point me towards how to
figure to charge her, it would be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!
Ginger in CA
where we expect temps of 85-90 today!

I used to get this kind of query from people all the time. They see
something in a store and think that because I do woodworking, I can do
it cheaper. When they saw the price I quoted them they quickly beat a
hasty retreat. I would think it is better to give a fair to yourself
price quote with the knowledge that if they think your time is not
worth that much then they probably are not somebody with your best
interest in mind. It used to make me so damn mad to hear them say
"Gee, you are doing this in your basement and should be cheaper". They
fail to realize that those things that are for sale in Pottery Barn,
or other venues, are likely produced in runs of 1000 units in an off
shore sweatshop with little regard for hand craftsmanship. Don't sell
yourself short just to get a commission. Now if you want to do it as a
gift, then that is another matter. Money is not the object. My 2
Cents.

John
Old April 12th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Taking all that into account, a custom, original, one-of-a-kind,
made-to-order, personal quilt, king-size, Finished: $750, minimum.

R/Sandy-- "know what you're worth so others will, too" g

On 4/12/08 1:57 PM, in article
, "Ginger
in CA" wrote:

The Pottery Barn quilt wasn't Hawaiian fabrics. That's what she wants.

To add in regarding other posts. I like Terri, like I said she is a
former supervisor. At the same time I will not sell myself short. Hmmm
my pay at work is $23/hr. I think once she approves the pattern - I
will show her all three, she would want to do the final audition of
block placement. I got the name of a local long arm quilter and will
have to contact her about pricing.

Back in 1995 I had a lady contact me to do a baby's room. We met and I
explained the fabrics, her design, etc. We went to a local fabric
store and I pulled fabrics for her to consider. She was excited. Then
I told her the pricing, which was more than [actually waaaay more
than] the $29.95 she thought was reasonable to pay. This would have
been for a custom wall-hanging, bumper cover, crib coverlet, and
curtains. She felt I was "trying to take advantage of her" since "my
husband is a pro soccer player". Uh-huh, right.

Gathering more tips and suggestions, thanks!

Ginger
wind is definitely up, so is my coughing

How much money do you make at your regular job? *Charge at least that.
There's also thread, batting, back, and wear and tear on your sewing
machine.

Do we know why she isn't just buying it at Pottery Barn? *She may be
surprised to learn that you're not competing with workers in China and
that she's not Walmart with bargaining power to make you come down on
your price.

--Lia- Hide quoted text -

Old April 12th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

About 20 years ago there was a little shop close by who ONLY make custom
baby quilts that were one of a kind. A crib quilt sold for $75, way back
then! These were machine outline quilted around a baby type design. She
also made matching curtains and other baby things.
Barbara in SC

Old April 12th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

I concur with John ! You might end up charging too little
because you feel that you don't want to be overcharging !
Try to talk her into buying it at Pottery Barn . Mary

Old April 12th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I've read most of the replies. I have to say most folks are not aware
of the work that goes into hand crafted items but not everyone is a
skinflint. Some folks do know the work and are willing to pay to
get a well made, custom item. Sometimes it is nice to put something
together for someone that will appreciate and pay for it. Yep, it is
the exception but it happens once in awhile. I haven't done much sewing
of any kind for payment in a lot of years. It become work when I got
paid. Just be sure you cover yourself from getting had and don't
hesitate to get what your time for this is worth to you.

It is pretty nice over here in the high desert today too. I can't
believe how pretty it has been out. The lady banks roses look like
a million bucks they are blooming so heavy!
Taria

Old April 12th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Oh, I have [at this point in my life!] no problem charging what I am
worth for my time, and experience. In 2000 a one of a kind wall-
hanging I did of a stained-glass style horse's head with beading was
appraised at $2250. It was 36x48.

Yes, the mindset of those who look at mass-produced goods and figure
it is simple/cheaper to produce locally really have no idea.

Neither one of them sew, or are craft oriented. I would have to stress
the fabric is to be 100% cotton, and give her how much to buy based on
how many fabrics she is interested in.

Ginger in CA
very pleased to see all these responses!
oh, it is 95 degrees right now

"John" wrote in message

[...]

John- Hide quoted text -

Old April 14th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

)
Sandy I have done a bit of figuring today, and have questions to ask
her that may make her reconsider. All said and done, the $750.00 is
defintely not out of line. Tomorrow I will pose the questions, and
slide into the pricing by asking if she has thought about how much
time this would take, the prep etc.

King size mattress is 76x80. How much drop do you want? 108" backing
will run about $20 [need 3.5 to 4yds] per yard from Christian Lane
Quilters. Good W&N batting about $75 I think. Waiting for a phone call
back on the machine quilting.....Yep, she may decide to go with a
commercial product instead.

Ginger in CA
nope, not ever going to undersell myself again.

Old April 14th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G. in CA

Ginger- I am a long arm quilter and based on the measurements you mentioned
plus the drop - 100x104 - for an all over medium spaced freehand design, I
would charge approx. $240.00 plus a minimal thread charge. Not an
unreasonable amount......although I'm sure in other areas the cost could be
less. I am in CA, as are you.

Have a chair handy when you discuss all the costs involved with making your
friend a quilt from scratch. She may need to sit down.....
~~~~~~~
Laurie G. in CA
http://www.finishingtouchesquilts.com
http://community.webshots.com/user/lagrant7
~~~~~~~

)

Old April 14th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Thanks Laurie! There are not many long arm quilters around here, and
they usually have a waiting list.

Yep, you're right, she'll need a chair.

Ginger in CA
where it has been over 90 again today here on the coast.

On Apr 13, 7:20*pm, "Laurie G. in CA" wrote:
Ginger- I am a long arm quilter and based on the measurements you mentioned
plus the drop - 100x104 - for an all over medium spaced freehand design, I
would charge approx. $240.00 plus a minimal thread charge. Not an
unreasonable amount......although I'm sure in other areas the cost could be
less. I am in CA, as are you.

Have a chair handy when you discuss all the costs involved with making your
friend a quilt from scratch. She may need to sit down.....
~~~~~~~
Laurie G. in CAhttp://www.finishingtouchesquilts.comhttp://community.webshots.com/user/lagrant7

Pricing advice sought Craig Cockburn Beads 2 August 2nd 06 01:31 PM
Pricing advice sought Craig Cockburn Jewelry 1 July 31st 06 12:33 AM
HELP! Pricing advice Tina Quilting 7 April 8th 06 06:08 PM
New to the group and seeking advice on ebay pricing and selling jesse Beads 13 August 5th 05 06:14 AM
Pricing help needed ... Deirdre S. Beads 46 August 30th 03 03:00 AM